Exactly what does "Bar service charge is included in this package" mean?

CenTexan

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I'm having trouble navigating the "search" function for an answer.

Looking at booking a TA for April 2022 on Enchanted. We're currently Platinum but have never purchased a drink package. However, the current promo includes the Premier Beverage Package and I'm running the numbers ($) to see if we should give it a try this time. When I read the Princess web FAQ about the package, it states "Bar service charge is included in this package." Being a true skeptic, I would ask . . . .

Does this mean a) that we must order all of our drinks at a bar (ie, not having waitstaff by pool, or in dining room, etc, get it for us) in order to not pay the 18% add-on service charge? Or b) that the 18% add-on service charge is included in the package (ie, we don't get charged it per drink)?

Answer is "B". Also, any bar on the ship (or poolside, restaurants, etc.) is where you can use the beverage package.

ETA: If the promo includes the beverage package gratis, what numbers are there to run? The package is free and you can drink as much or little as you like. Unless the cruise price is a bit lower w/o the beverage package promo?

Edited by joepeka

Drinks ordered in the MDR are included in the package. Drinks ordered from Room Service are not. It is not clear what happens if you order drinks with the Medallion and you are in your room ...

Thanks, all.

The numbers "to run" are in regards to making the booking with the Princess Plus package (wifi, tips, drinks) versus just the room. As Platinum, we get enough wifi time, so that is worth $0 to us. The tips is equal either way. So that leaves the value of the drinks - comes to about $18 pp a day. As a light drinker, it has never been worth the $s before - but at that price I think we'll try it this time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CenTexan said:

Thanks, all.

The numbers "to run" are in regards to making the booking with the Princess Plus package (wifi, tips, drinks) versus just the room. As Platinum, we get enough wifi time, so that is worth $0 to us. The tips is equal either way. So that leaves the value of the drinks - comes to about $18 pp a day. As a light drinker, it has never been worth the $s before - but at that price I think we'll try it this time.

Remember it is a 'beverage package' that in addition to beer, wine, spirits, the package also includes bottled water, fountain soda, coffee, specialty coffee and teas and maybe some other like mocktails

• Like 2

9 hours ago, joepeka said:

Answer is "B". Also, any bar on the ship (or poolside, restaurants, etc.) is where you can use the beverage package.

ETA: If the promo includes the beverage package gratis, what numbers are there to run? The package is free and you can drink as much or little as you like. Unless the cruise price is a bit lower w/o the beverage package promo?

Not quite.

There is a limit of drinks with alcohol of 15 a day.

9 hours ago, CenTexan said:

Thanks, all.

Princess has said that Platinum/Elite passengers will be able to purchase the unlimited Internet at 50% of the regular price.

They did not say whether or not the free minutes benefit is staying or disappearing.

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess has said that Platinum/Elite passengers will be able to purchase the unlimited Internet at 50% of the regular price.

They did not say whether or not the free minutes benefit is staying or disappearing.

I have thought myself that the Plus internet package still has some value even though we generally don't use all our free minutes during a cruise. The value to us is we don't have to fret about whether we've logged off. Also, we can hop on and use it for the more frivolous uses like wondering what's the scientific name of a Rockhopper Penguin! - Turns out there are three subspecies with different names - but I digress...

Now to the second comment, I'm surprised nobody has started a thread purporting to have inside information as to what the new loyalty structure and associated benefits will be. When it does start I'm sure it will be "hot".

17 hours ago, joepeka said:

Plus fares are not free. They are $40/pp/day over the no frills fares. If you subtract out the $15/pp/day gratuity, paid separately of you book a no frills fare, then the net cost to compare is $25/pp/day over the no frills fares. It's a good deal, but not free.

We also got the plus package.  Hubby and I typically buy the soda package and the coffee cards.  

I believe the soda package is $12 per day and the coffee cards are $40 (I'm not finding the coffee cards on my personalizer, anyone finding it?  Buller? ) and the coffee and soda package is $24 a day.  

The excess cost of the plus package is $25 per day, after grats and discounting internet (since we don't use our entire platinum benefit).  With the added benefit of ordering any random drink whenever we want AND bottled water.  We always order a couple cases of bottled water before the cruise.  

We normally order a couple of boozy drinks per cruise, not nearly enough to justify the normal ultimate beverage package, but with the plus package.  

It'll be nice to not have any additional expenses once the cruise fare is paid!