Booking cruises onboard

Alushar

We have our first Princess cruise coming up in October, we hope and another one booked. On Celebrity we usually get a good deal booking onboard does the same apply to Princess? What are the usual promos?

When you book onboard they give you some OBC depending on the length of the cruise.  A 7 day cruise for example will get you $50 in OBC for each person booked.  It can go up to $250 for the longer cruises (16+ days).  The other advantage is that you can reserve the cruise with a $100/pax payment instead of the usual $500 or so.  You can also buy a FCD (future cruise deposit) while on board for each pax and use it at your leisure sometime in the next two years to book a cruise getting the same benefits as booking on board.  The $100 is refundable if you don't use it within two years.  Many of us maintain several FCDs for each person so that we can book in the future.   I usually have 2 or 3 in my account for future bookings and buy additional ones when I board.  You can fill out a simple form, sign and put it in the Future Cruise person's inbox located outside their office.  No need to talk to or wait on anyone. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

You can fill out a simple form, sign and put it in the Future Cruise person's inbox located outside their office.  No need to talk to or wait on anyone. 

I think you can now just purchase them through your medallion ap.  Even easier!

And you are right, no extras for booking a particular sailing while onboard.  Sometimes, Celebrity will offer additional perks for onboard bookings but in all my experience with Princess, it's the same whether you book it onboard or after you get home.  I happen to be all out of my FCCs ... will have to purchase more of them when we cruise again.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think you can now just purchase them through your medallion ap.  Even easier!

And you are right, no extras for booking a particular sailing while onboard.  Sometimes, Celebrity will offer additional perks for onboard bookings but in all my experience with Princess, it's the same whether you book it onboard or after you get home.  I happen to be all out of my FCCs ... will have to purchase more of them when we cruise again.  

I am also out of FCDs and my first purchase on board will be at least 2 FCDs for each of us.  I have not been on a fully ready OM as yet.  We were on the CB when it first was introduced but a lot  of the functionality (ordering drinks etc) was yet to be implemented.  Nice though walking up to the cabin door and having it unlock.   Sure miss the loud bing when leaving and arriving at the ship door and putting my card in the slot.

• Like 2

The one and only time I purchased a future cruise while on a ship, the Future Cruise person failed to tell me it was a non-refundable deposit.  My TA had to jump through hoops the fix my mistake.  I have stopped by the office several others times to get information.  Never found it to be advantageous to book while on a ship.  I just purchase Future Cruise DEPOSITS (FCDs). 

I'm like many others....out of FCDs due to not being able to sail.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alushar said:

Thanks for the replies All FCDs look like way to go

One thing not mentioned...on one of our cruises there was a "sale" for a particular cruise if booked on board. Can't remember the details, but the price was very reasonable and IIRC they threw in some extra OBC.

Only seen it once, but we rarely spend any time in the Future Sales office.

BTW: the FCDs are fully refundable if you don't use them in the allowed 2 years and can be extended another 2 years (usually) if you're not ready for a refund.

PLUS: FCD (Future Cruise Deposit) is often confused with FCC (Future Cruise Credit).

You buy FCDs. Princess dispenses FCCs when there is an issue, i.e. cancelled cruise (think pandemic, ship needing repair, etc).

To add to the confusion, on the Princess website, FCC is used for FCD in some instances. You'd think they could keep it straight, since it's their program. 😉

• Like 2

Thanks @JF - retired RRT might be worth a stroll to Future Sales on our October Cruise. We have 2022 covered with B2b Celebrity and 25 day Princess (3 cruises really 2 trans Atlantic and a Canada/NE) so we will be looking for 2023. It's clear that Princess have a lot of interesting intineraries we haven't seen on Celebrity 

19 hours ago, Alushar said:

We have our first Princess cruise coming up in October, we hope and another one booked. On Celebrity we usually get a good deal booking onboard does the same apply to Princess? What are the usual promos?

Welcome to Princess.  Just incase you don't know, there is  a military OBC for those who served.

https://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alushar said:

Thanks @JF - retired RRT might be worth a stroll to Future Sales on our October Cruise. We have 2022 covered with B2b Celebrity and 25 day Princess (3 cruises really 2 trans Atlantic and a Canada/NE) so we will be looking for 2023. It's clear that Princess have a lot of interesting itineraries we haven't seen on Celebrity 

But get the FCD's in October as 2023 booking opportunities come quickly and some already there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

One thing not mentioned...on one of our cruises there was a "sale" for a particular cruise if booked on board. Can't remember the details, but the price was very reasonable and IIRC they threw in some extra OBC.

Usually pricing on board is exactly the same as on land, but the very rare double OBC bonus is only on board.

The only time I have seen special on board pricing was when they needed to fill up the ship for the next segment.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

But get the FCD's in October as 2023 booking opportunities come quickly and some already there.

Thanks we will probably have a look shortly and use any FCDs for 2024 onwards