UK Cruisers with Celebrity this Summer with Children - Disappointing Update

Bigrob1983

We have all got fully use to cruises being cancelled over the past 16 months. 

We booked a cruise with Celebrity Cruises on the 26th May 2021 (having had cruises already cancelled with Cunard and Princess due to the fact we have two children ages 16 and 13) and specifically asked whether unvaccinated children would be welcomed (in the UK children aren't able to get any  COVID-19 vaccine as of yet) and off the back of this advice we booked two 7 night cruises on the Celebrity Edge at the cost of £15,000. Last week (01st June) I spent a further £800 on dining options.)

Yesterday, I just happened to be looking at the Celebrity site to start booking my excursions and saw a new tab has emerged regarding cruise from Athens for Summer 2021.

Look closely:

Athens Travel Requirements as of May 28, 2021

Greece Travel Requirements for Visitors

• Tourists must fill in the Passenger Locator Form (PLF) no later than 11:59 PM of the day before arriving in Greece. For more information, please click here.
  • Unvaccinated travelers must provide proof of a negative RT-PCR test result 72 hours prior to entry into the country.  
  • The traveler must ensure prior to departure that he/she carries some kind of certification of their health condition.

Acceptable documents include:

• A negative PCR molecular test result from a laboratory
    • Test must be taken up to 72 hours before entry
    • Mandatory for all tourists (including children over the age of 5), regardless of the epidemiological situation existent in the country of departure.
             OR
  • A vaccination certificate issued by a certified authority.
    • If the traveler has completed his/her vaccination (i.e., 14 days have elapsed since the last vaccination, depending on the doses required) and holds a vaccination certificate, then proof of a negative test is not required.
    • Vaccination certificates for the vaccines Sputnik, Sinovac, etc., not approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) also exempt visitors from the obligation of producing a negative PCR test. Acceptable vaccines are: Pfizer BioNtech, Moderna, Astra Zeneca/Oxford, Novavax, Johnson + Johnson/Janssen, Sinovac Biotech, Gamaleya (Sputnik), Cansino Biologics, Sinopharm.
    • All certificates must include the critical information in English and the person’s full name must match the name on the passport or other travel document.
  • Every traveler who arrives in Greece, regardless of the certificate in their possession, may undergo a random health screening. If selected, the screening is mandatory. Otherwise, authorities reserve the right to refuse entry into the country. The selection is made through a targeted sampling system, based on the EVA system used in the summer of 2020.

Celebrity Cruises Requirements

• Celebrity Cruises requires all guests age 16 and above to be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to sail date. As of August 1, 2021, all guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination is required in the form of the original vaccination card. No photocopies or photos accepted. Crew members onboard will be vaccinated.
  • Celebrity will administer a complimentary antigen test to all guests 2 and up at the terminal.

Travel Home

• An antigen test is required for re-entry into Greece.  The test will be administered free of charge by our medical staff on board prior to debarkation. Additional home country test requirements will be administered onboard free of charge. Learn more once onboard. 

So, my eldest son is 16 when we travel on cruise 1 and my youngest is 13 on cruise 2! I phoned my travel agent and she knew nothing about this and the on-line booking system still accepted a mirror booking!

After speaking to Celebrity they confirmed they had indeed changed the rules and just hadn't bothered telling anyone. 

I asked what a child 11, not requiring a mask would be deemed safer then a child wearing one and received silence!

I'm now having to wait 'two credit card cycles' to get my money back.

If anyone else is in the same position sorry to give you this bad news before Celebrity have had the courtesy of doing so!

they're all over the place, if you're on one of the UK cruises you still have to have a PCR even though you've been vaccinated, that requirement is a recent one, who knows what we'll need by the time we cruise

21 minutes ago, kittywife77 said:

I called Celebrity about this issue. They assured me the vaccination requirement is for US guests only. They stated it's still 18 for UK guests.

well I would phone again as they have confirmed it to my travel agent (when she phoned them) and me (via Twitter) but they've also now cancelled the cruises! Utter shambles!

4 minutes ago, Bigrob1983 said:

well I would phone again as they have confirmed it to my travel agent (when she phoned them) and me (via Twitter) but they've also now cancelled the cruises! Utter shambles!

They've cancelled them? What, altogether?

Just now, kittywife77 said:

They've cancelled them? What, altogether?

yes cancelled them! They no longer appear on their system and we've had notification that our dining packages will be refunded 'within two credit card cycles.' These aren't for UK 'staycation Cruises' but as my post says, a cruise out of Athens on the Apex. 

4 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

???

Athens on the Apex this summer?  Definitely still on...I'm booked on the July 31 and August 7...They are on the system (I just ran a mock booking)...and showing on my log in...

Same here. I'm just on hold with them on the phone now.

13 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

???

Athens on the Apex this summer?  Definitely still on...I'm booked on the July 31 and August 7...They are on the system (I just ran a mock booking)...and showing on my log in...

OP is referring to vaccines for children...

The OP is correct. ALL children over the age of 12 need to have been fully vaccinated. Which excludes ALL UK guests with children between 12 and 18. Offered a refund or switch to an alternative sailing. I'm really unhappy with the way Celebrity have handled this, moreover their lack of communication. 

The sailings are still available to book though, and have not been cancelled. 

27 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

???

I've also ran a mock booking for same dates, as well as showing me all July and August.

Still available to book.

Yes it is Apex and and not Edge you are correct. Yes the cruise is still on but, IT'S 

NOT AVAILABLE TO CHILDREN AGED 16 OR BELOW WHO HAVEN'T BEEN VACCINATED.

That's the only point I'm making! No other point! That's it! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kittywife77 said:

The OP is correct. ALL children over the age of 12 need to have been fully vaccinated. Which excludes ALL UK guests with children between 12 and 18. Offered a refund or switch to an alternative sailing. I'm really unhappy with the way Celebrity have handled this, moreover their lack of communication. 

The sailings are still available to book though, and have not been cancelled. 

I'm sorry you had to find out like this Kitty! It's really poor from Celebrity. I only found out by chance.

Best of luck for what you decide to do next! 

16 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm sorry for the OP's situation, but the fact is that vaccinating teenagers is the safest approach.

Great if you live in a country that are vaccinating the over 12s. Bad business if you ask me. 

Here in California, everyone aged 12 and over is eligible for a Covid vaccination.  I'm a bit surprised that the UK is nowhere close to that.

OTOH, as someone who spent the last 23 years of my career working for a major health care provider, I would NOT consider taking ANY unvaccinated family member on an international trip.  I know that the effects of Covid-19 on younger people and children have been generally mild, however there are still cases of children suffering bad cases and even death.  I would either find some way to have the kids vaccinated under some sort of exception...or...leave the kids in the care of  friend or family member and travel without then...or...merely delay the trip until some future time when the kids will be adequately vaccinated against the virus.

To me, it's not a case of "good business" or "bad business"...or a case of unfair discrimination...It is a case of doing the safest thing to protect my family.  Yes, it can be disappointing...but after the past year and a half, we are all used to a little disappointment.  And, personally, having had three relatives--a father and two sons--return from a trip to Italy where all three came down with Covid...and the worst case of the three was one of the sons, I would rather be safe than risk the illness.

• Like 4

I believe Greece us still not a “green” country for travel from GB making it a difficult vacation 

destination requiring extra COVID testing and quarantine days.   It’s a gamble that it could go green by August especially since Countries have also been taken off the green list with no new ones added.   

• Like 1

BruinSteve - the UK has been vaccinating in age groups from the eldest down. We are now vaccinating 25 years and over.

it is hoped all adults (18+) will be offered the vaccination by July. In Covid hotspots, vaccinations are being offered to 18 and over. 

There is talk of vaccinations for under 18’s but little in the way of confirmed timelines. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, downsmead said:

BruinSteve - the UK has been vaccinating in age groups from the eldest down. We are now vaccinating 25 years and over.

it is hoped all adults (18+) will be offered the vaccination by July. In Covid hotspots, vaccinations are being offered to 18 and over. 

There is talk of vaccinations for under 18’s but little in the way of confirmed timelines. 

I googled it and saw that...

Here, in California, we also started with 75+ and Health Care workers...then it dropped to 65+...then 50+ and Teachers/Education professionals...then quickly down from there...And, as soon as they approved the vaccine for 16+, then 12+, they got added...We were shopping last week and an announcement came over the speakers in the store that they had "lots of vaccine available and anyone who wants one should just come to the front desk"...Unfortunately, there are still a lot of short-sighted folks here who, either due to some fear of vaccines or due to bad information or because of questionable politics, refuse to get vaccinated...So, now they're offering all sorts of incentives--like big lottery prizes or free sports ticket giveaways--to people just for getting the vaccine!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruin Steve said:

I googled it and saw that...

Here, in California, we also started with 75+ and Health Care workers...then it dropped to 65+...then 50+ and Teachers/Education professionals...then quickly down from there...And, as soon as they approved the vaccine for 16+, then 12+, they got added...We were shopping last week and an announcement came over the speakers in the store that they had "lots of vaccine available and anyone who wants one should just come to the front desk"...Unfortunately, there are still a lot of short-sighted folks here who, either due to some fear of vaccines or due to bad information or because of questionable politics, refuse to get vaccinated...So, now they're offering all sorts of incentives--like big lottery prizes or free sports ticket giveaways--to people just for getting the vaccine!

Latest giveaway I read about was 'Joint for a Jab'

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kittywife77 said:

Great if you live in a country that are vaccinating the over 12s. Bad business if you ask me. 

Actually, as a percentage of the population there isn't that much difference between the US and the UK.  But that really doesn't matter, safety of the children and the other passengers should not be compromised if there are other options.