Judge may not rule before July 1 (FL vs CDC)

BlerkOne

per this

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/florida-vs-cdc-cruise-lawsuit-mediation-ends-at-an-impasse/

The impact of the delay means it’s unlikely Merryday will decide on Florida’s request for a preliminary injunction against the CDC, or the lawsuit itself, until at least July 1.

18 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Hopefully he just rules against Florida so this restart can go on as planned. I imagine if he ruled for Florida it would bungle all of the progress we have seen so far. 

I tend to agree, but I would expect whichever side loses to appeal dragging the whole process out longer.

The CDC and the cruise lines seem to be at least starting to work together. It seem like the obstinate attitude of Florida and its governor is what is now the biggest holdup.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

per this

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/florida-vs-cdc-cruise-lawsuit-mediation-ends-at-an-impasse/

The impact of the delay means it’s unlikely Merryday will decide on Florida’s request for a preliminary injunction against the CDC, or the lawsuit itself, until at least July 1.

He chews out Florida for saying the mediation is over, then he says it's over. Political BS in the extreme!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, ontheweb said:

The CDC and the cruise lines seem to be at least starting to work together. It seem like the obstinate attitude of Florida and its governor is what is now the biggest holdup.

Of course, the CDC does not have an attitude after a year of not working with the cruise lines. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

He chews out Florida for saying the mediation is over, then he says it's over. Political BS in the extreme!

The mediation was not over when Florida said it was. Now I am sure the judge has a report from the mediator that the parties are at an impasse and that an agreement is not possible. In other words, as to mediation, the fat lady has now sung. She had not yet sung when Florida made their statement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The mediation was not over when Florida said it was. Now I am sure the judge has a report from the mediator that the parties are at an impasse and that an agreement is not possible. In other words, as to mediation, the fat lady has now sung. She had not yet sung when Florida made their statement.

LOL!

12 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

A couple of us tried very hard to nicely explain this yesterday, it won't work.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

A couple of us tried very hard to nicely explain this yesterday, it won't work.

One can only try, though I guess at some point one should stop butting their head against the wall when they realize those with their minds made up do not care about facts or want any explanation.🤦‍♂️

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Hopefully he just rules against Florida so this restart can go on as planned. I imagine if he ruled for Florida it would bungle all of the progress we have seen so far. 

Hopefully he rules against the cdc so all this stupid 95/98 and wearing masks on my rcl cruise goes away.

I want the cso to go away!!  NOW. 

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

The mediation was still continuing when Florida politicized it and said it was over. Everybody knew it would go nowhere.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I tend to agree, but I would expect whichever side loses to appeal dragging the whole process out longer.

The CDC and cruise lines have been negotiating and the cruise lines indicated it was their preferred path. It is long over due for everyone else to get out of the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Hopefully he rules against the cdc so all this stupid 95/98 and wearing masks on my rcl cruise goes away.

I want the cso to go away!!  NOW. 

I feel like that isn't going to happen with Congress enacting the Alaska thing it feels like Congress agreed that the CDC has this authority. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I feel like that isn't going to happen with Congress enacting the Alaska thing it feels like Congress agreed that the CDC has this authority. 

And we know which party is in power and that the head of the cdc was replaced politically. 

I've also read the judge was appointed by bush, though he hasnt shown if he has political leanings to date. 

It's all politics, imo. Cdc is in a power grab. I'm praying the cso expires nov 1st and we never have to deal with the political cdc again... .my fear is its wishful thinking. Let's see what happens nov 1st. Cases keep dropping, maybe real life will force the cdc out of cruising. Out of my life. I got only 2 cruises before nov 1st ... then begone cdc. I hope I'm wrong that the cdc doesnt keep on with the excuse of another bogey man out there. Cruising is what I like ...I consider it my bad luck that's the only thing cdc is in a power grab on. ..wish it was anything else. 

Too bad the judge cant rule them out of existence. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

And we know which party is in power and that the head of the cdc was replaced politically. 

I've also read the judge was appointed by bush, though he hasnt shown if he has political leanings to date. 

It's all politics, imo. Cdc is in a power grab. I'm praying the cso expires nov 1st and we never have to deal with the political cdc again... .my fear is its wishful thinking. Let's see what happens nov 1st. Cases keep dropping, maybe real life will force the cdc out of cruising. Out of my life. I got only 2 cruises before nov 1st ... then begone cdc. I hope I'm wrong that the cdc doesnt keep on with the excuse of another bogey man out there. Cruising is what I like ...I consider it my bad luck that's the only thing cdc is in a power grab on. ..wish it was anything else. 

Too bad the judge cant rule them out of existence. 

I mean we all wish the CDC would stop treating the cruise industry like the red headed step kids of the travel industry while giving the Airlines free passes. 

I have my B2B on Mardi gras at the end of August so I am just hopeful it actually sails. I haven't been on a Cruise since my New Years cruise on Legend back in December of 2019-2020. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I mean we all wish the CDC would stop treating the cruise industry like the red headed step kids of the travel industry while giving the Airlines free passes. 

I have my B2B on Mardi gras at the end of August so I am just hopeful it actually sails. I haven't been on a Cruise since my New Years cruise on Legend back in December of 2019-2020. 

While I agree that I think that the CDC has been unfair to the cruise lines, I think there is a very clear difference between a cruise ship and other forms of mass transportation.  That is just reality.  Different rules should be in place for a cruise ship than an airplane or bus.  To me the question is what are reasonable rules.  Personally, I do not want the CDC to completely loose the power to impose some structure for the cruise industry to safely return.  They can ensure that the companies are operating under the same rules, and run interference against people who want everything to be exactly as it was before the pandemic immediately.  I agree with free markets in general, but sometimes you need someone to enforce health and safety rules.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Radiioman46 said:

6 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Yes, I noticed that too. Completely ridiculous and not surprising. 

As others have noted, there is only one person who can declare mediation at an impasse, and that is not the Governor of Florida, or the CDC, or even the judge, it is the mediator, and until he/she reports as such to the judge, the mediation is not at an impasse.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

that's just what politicians do...  💩

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm praying the cso expires nov 1st and we never have to deal with the political cdc again... .my fear is its wishful thinking.

If you think that if the CSO is revoked that the CDC will have no further interaction with the cruise lines, you are simply living in another reality.  The USPHS (an agency of the Department of HHS) is tasked with granting "free pratique" (health clearance) to every ship that enters US waters, not just cruise ships.  It has assigned that mandate to the CDC, so the CDC will have intimate control over cruise ships operating in the US until the government decides for some reason that they need to create a new agency to handle ships' "free pratique" and take it away from the CDC.  Not real likely.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As others have noted, there is only one person who can declare mediation at an impasse, and that is not the Governor of Florida, or the CDC, or even the judge, it is the mediator, and until he/she reports as such to the judge, the mediation is not at an impasse.

Clearly the state of Florida knew they were at an impasse since the judge stated it so soon after he chewed out Florida. It’s obvious.