The New Moon - Adventures in Greece - June 18th through July 8th

spinnaker2

On 6/26/2021 at 4:55 AM, spinnaker2 said:

Heraklion.

1369607964_20210626_1249132.thumb.jpg.4d53b092bee7e72bec8e6a93ec8b36c5.jpg

We are berthed next to a rusted ghost ship.

The sign says its all.

1440808721_20210626_124905_HDR2.thumb.jpg.42d52f22228216414ba261a054d68f0c.jpg

A shame to she her like this.  As the MS Ryndam she was my first cruise ship back in early 1995 out of Ft Lauderdale.  It was only her sixth venue cruise for Holland America.  Three years later my wife and I honeymooned on the Ryndam.   Indeed since she left the Holland America fleet she has had a checkered history.

Spins - what a contrast!  Hopefully you are now back in the luxurious cocoon of the Moon, and relaxing again.  No doubt this back to back hiatus will improve, probably soon, and will certainly improve a lot when things eventually get back to normal.

Just loving  your photos of the moon and sunlight, and  blue skies and smooth Med.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Freedom from the panorama prison a little after noon. All morning. No provision for a snack although drinks available.  Then off ship for testing in that hot tent. Back on board at 1:15.   Feeling testy.

Hang in, Spins!!  Understand such testing is not fun, nor exciting.  Appreciate so much all of the pictures and details from you and others on these sailings.  

Know you do not have the exact number of passengers from the various countries.  BUT, what is your rough guess as to the mix for those on board??  Most from the U.S. with maybe a quarter from the UK?  Or, is it a wider mix with a good number of passengers from Greece?  Part of what we love with Silversea is the "international blend" of nice folks from many locations and backgrounds.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

17 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Terry    I have asked repeatedly for breakdown of pax.  No responses yet

Appreciate, Spins, your excellent efforts, photos etc.  Hopefully on this second phase of your sailing, they will be better able to respond.  Keep up the FUN and great efforts.  How many passengers are on this second cruise?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Spins - what a contrast!  Hopefully you are now back in the luxurious cocoon of the Moon, and relaxing again.  No doubt this back to back hiatus will improve, probably soon, and will certainly improve a lot when things eventually get back to normal.

Just loving  your photos of the moon and sunlight, and  blue skies and smooth Med.

Hi Can you tell what was opened after noon. Pool,restaurants, My opinion too much testing.

Very excited to be among the new passengers. What a beautiful ship, and the staff is great

We arrived at 3:30pm and were in our suite 45 minutes later. So far, it has been wonderful. 

Staying in a Grand Suite, which is superb. 

• Like 5

Hi Spins, I have been in Chicago with 3 friends since Friday but have been taking a peek at this thread throughout the weekend. (I just got home today).  Sounds like you are having a wonderful time😃 and I want to thank you for giving us all your thoughts and information about this first and second cruises!👍

I appreciate everything you are doing🙂

On 6/25/2021 at 7:00 AM, cinbeach said:

Lois can you tell me what the letter said as far as times to board.  As I noted before I am on the July 28 cruise and am doing independent hotels, tours and transfers so would like to arrange my transfers to the ship - what is the earliest we can board.

Thanks Cindy

Hi Cindy, I have been out of town or I would have replied sooner.  Just got home today.

The letter I received says embarkation begins at 2:00pm.  I don't know when this will change but for the time being, I would think for these summer sailings it will stay this way.

1 hour ago, fdnycruiser said:

I haven’t been on Silversea in about 5 years now. Can anyone tell me if Oliver was still tending bar before the pandemic?  Better yet is he on the Moon. Thanks 

We haven’t seen Oliver for a while, one of the other bartenders on last years WC said he had been ill, but couldn’t provide any more info.

53 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

We haven’t seen Oliver for a while, one of the other bartenders on last years WC said he had been ill, but couldn’t provide any more info.

Last year I heard he was in bad shape & trying to raise funds from some regular pax.

On 6/27/2021 at 7:51 PM, spinnaker2 said:

Morning. Dawn.1628997407_20210628_0544052.thumb.jpg.726d437182d79156867b07a05075a9be.jpg

So quietly we tiptoe into port.

No noise to alert those who must leave.

Wow! Just wow!  This photos is just lovely.  Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with all of us at home. 

8 hours ago, zqtchas said:

they still have M & M 's ( fresh ones )?

Charles

I have not seen m and m's.

I am told they are in crew bar.

We have truffle cashews and some other melange of spicy stuff.

We do have the usual jewelry hawkers aboard.

And the sandal guy.

Thank goodness no art sales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A recap of yesterday which was changeover day.

Breakfast in la Terrazza was chaotic.

Apparently espresso machine went kaput.

We waited a long time for coffee and wait staff clearly overwhelmed.

We had to leave our suite by 8 am which we dutifully did.

After breakfast we went to the panorama and we were checked off as being present.

We then waited in what I now am calling our Pireaus Panorama Prison until a little after noon.

Pax were permitted to use the bathrooms next to the PPP and sit outside on the deck adjacent, but nowhere else.

While the bar was open, there was no thought given to providing any food. Some fruit or sandwiches or anything would have been good.

Pax were left to entertain themselves.

A little afternoon we were permitted, ie, herded, off to get tested, go thru temperature checks, security and passport control.

The tent for testing was HOT AND uncomfortable.

Then a walk back to the ship in the blazing after noon sun.

We were exhausted from the stress of this event.

After lunch we went back to our suite and the AC was not working. We were told others had the same issue with the AC.

It was finally fixed.

Not a good day.

And we PAID FOR THIS.

I understand we have to go thru protocols but our entire day was completely shot and a LOSS. 

Note there was an 8 hour tour provided for in transit pax but since we were subjected to 3.5 hours of it already on our transfer to the ship we said no way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A recap from another intransit perspective.

Vacated suite at 8 and had a delicious, leisurely breakfast in Atlantide restaurant.

Went directly to the lovely air conditioned comfort of Panarama lounge where we could sit inside or out for a couple of hours.

We were then informed a little after noon to disembark the ship to the uncomfortable process described above which lasted less than hour.

We were then onboard to the excellent service and sea bream for lunch in Alantide.

When we returned to the suite our room temperature was warm for a brief period of time but never hot.  It quickly returned to the comfort we have enjoyed the entire cruise.

We are so thankful to be sailing on the luxurious Silver Moon.  Yesterday was a minor, required inconvenience imposed upon Silversea.  Obviously, it may be much too soon for some to be sailing again under these new protocols.  Our overall experience has been terrific and the fellow passengers we have met have been understanding and respectful.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cindy, I have been out of town or I would have replied sooner.  Just got home today.

The letter I received says embarkation begins at 2:00pm.  I don't know when this will change but for the time being, I would think for these summer sailings it will stay this way.

Hi Lois - I received the same letter embarkation begins at 2:00 pm.  

1 hour ago, pdaniel said:

A recap from another intransit perspective.

Hi pdaniel

Good to hear from another perspective. We have sailed many times with SS (over 800 days) and from experience seldom eat in La Terrazza on change over days at either breakfast or lunch, too many disembarking  passengers with luggage and people waiting for their call

Can you try and let us know who the maitre'ds are and who are the main bar staff, it would also be good if you were able to find out the breakdown of passenger nationalities on this segment

• Like 1