Princess and Beer Selection

westcliffo

9 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have never tasted Peroni. Sounds like I need to remedy that when I get a chance.

Don't bother Thrak might be OK with a lawnmower but little else, weak, slightly effervescent.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Don't bother Thrak might be OK with a lawnmower but little else, weak, slightly effervescent.

Totally concur. I really don't understand the attraction of this tasteless, fizzy drink. 

27 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Totally concur. I really don't understand the attraction of this tasteless, fizzy drink. 

I am not certain, but Peroni's Nastro Azzuro on the menu is noted elsewhere as being gluten free. Perhaps they make it both ways and offer it for those who are intolerant. II could understand if it isn't there so much the taste, but good that they offer an option for some, even if it is not a prize winner.

Edited by mtnesterz

7 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

The reason for Peroni's Nastro Azzuro on the menu isn't so much the taste, but that Princess offers a gluten free option for those who need to go that direction.  While it gets a 79/100 on Ratebeer, regular Peroni doesn't rate well at all.  You might be thinking of that one. I guess Princess does try to cover bases. 

You are probably correct - I wasn't aware of the gluten free angle.

• 1 year later...

I am a Hotel General Manager on Princess Cruises. The narrow beer choices come down to 3 main issues. 

1) Volume purchase agreements (better pricing). 

2) Available storage onboard.  

3) Resupply enroute. 

You can't just call up the distributor and say bring us a pallet of Bitburger to the pier in Tahiti. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/17/2021 at 11:29 AM, dreaminofcruisin said:

No one really knows what the beer selection will be post - Covid, but here is what it was in October 2019:

image.png.f685b696865f7735e78937b0818d9257.png

image.png.9e374c2a8ea18d5904854bcedde79fc3.png

Lightly older topic, but still relevant I think.

That is about the same list as today and I find it adequate. There are 5 or 6 different beers I like, with Guinness being my favorite of the list, Dos Equs second. Maybe if craft brewing stays big, more ships will add mirco-breweries, but for now, the list is fine.

On 6/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, memoak said:

Don't bother Peroni is the Italian equivalent of budweiser

I'd say bother. Try it and make your own decision. I like Peroni, Tiger, Pilsner Urquell, Stella and some more. None are my regular beer of choice, but nice for variety. And for some odd reason, Coors Light is my Saturday football beer, but only when I am in a bar and eating Buffalo wings at the same time. I think it is something from my college days.

42 minutes ago, burningblue said:

I am a Hotel General Manager on Princess Cruises. The narrow beer choices come down to 3 main issues. 

3) Resupply enroute. 

You can't just call up the distributor and say bring us a pallet of Bitburger to the pier in Tahiti. 

Thanks, and I am sure it has to do with what the majority of people like/drink. Yes, there a lot of people who have favorites that are more esoteric, like my love for Cuvée Des Jacobins Rouge, but good luck finding that on tap even in the most progressive of craft beer bars.

On Princess ships we "make do" with Bass Ale. It's not bad. I can also drink Heineken or Dos Equis but my wife doesn't want to drink either of those. She's happy when she can get Newcastle on board. We both agree that Coors and Bud are a "no-go" - especially the "light" versions. We tried Michelob Ultra one time (my wife ordered a pitcher of it in a pizza place as it was new and we had never heard of it) and we felt like we were drinking water.

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

On Princess ships we "make do" with Bass Ale. It's not bad. I can also drink Heineken or Dos Equis but my wife doesn't want to drink either of those. She's happy when she can get Newcastle on board.

And I can't stand Newkie or Bass, so you see how hard it is. There are probably 200 or more craft breweries in San Diego, not including the BJ's type places so I don't tolerate bad beers much, I have too many options, but I don't cruise or choose lines based on the beer list. I can find something drinkable and I think Princess has a decent list for the size of the ship and fairly diverse.

9 hours ago, burningblue said:

3) Resupply enroute. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic

For you Old Timers.  Harkin back to the days that Princess sold "Sea Witch" brew.  I had heard about it, and it was hot that day and I was thirsty.  So, I walked up to the bar and ordered a bottle.

The bottle was cold and wet.  So I took a large drink.........😵    Well, my momma had raised me not to spit out the contents of my mouth onto the floor especially if someone was watching.

And, I had a immediate flash back to 1965 when I was surrounded on all sides by Rice Patties in South East Asia.  That aroma match that brew.  Enough Said. 

I was really happy when Princess made the command decision to stop carrying that stuff on their ships. 

Bob

Just got home from a memorial for a friend. It was held in a pub run by a local brewery. The pub was closed to the public and reserved for our group. They have an excellent Brown Ale on tap that they make here in town. It's often hard to find a really good Brown Ale so we were pleased with this one. My wife and I agree the very best Brown Ale we have had to date was at Coopersmith's Pub & Brewing in Fort Collins, Colorado. I'm not sure if it's one they always have or one they had "just that time" or one that maybe rotates through. (Small breweries are like that.) We were only in that venue once - while on an extended camping trip - but we were both extremely happy to find that particular brew.

• Like 1