Chef's Table Question for Current Cruisers

molymoo

Just wondering ... apparently the menu rotation for the Chef's Table is a mystery for those of us stateside as we have not had any idea what is being served when during the Bermuda cruises.   What menus are currently in rotation?  Anything new?  This is not necessarily the most important issue ... but my bags are packed, my test is scheduled so there is little else to do but wonder about food!!  😁

22 hours ago, molymoo said:

Just wondering ... apparently the menu rotation for the Chef's Table is a mystery for those of us stateside as we have not had any idea what is being served when during the Bermuda cruises.   What menus are currently in rotation?  Anything new?  This is not necessarily the most important issue ... but my bags are packed, my test is scheduled so there is little else to do but wonder about food!!  😁

We loved our meal in Chefs Table. Our menu was classics from Great Britain!

so, Scotch Egg, Fish ‘n’ Chips, Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding and a very nice Trifle for dessert!!

It was all very very good!

Enjoy your cruise.

David

• Like 1

We're booked on Aug 3-10 Bermuda Escape cruise and have booked Chef's Table ... we don't really care what's on the menu the night we attend ... we are avid foodies .... 😁

This will be our first Viking cruise and we have heard great things about the food on ship. We want to be surprised.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, cmaasfamily said:

So just some lite nibbles, then? 😜

For those who might not know, portions in the Chef's Table are generally small, even if there are multiple portions and multiple wines.  It's one of the many reasons I love it. 

• Like 1

I saw a menu picture from California theme Chef's Table. It appeared that there were no choices for the main course (or others). Is this the case? In our case, we'd have to cancel because my husband is allergic to fish. (I'm also a bit picky, which could be a potential issue)

Not to mention we probably wouldn't pick the "California Cuisine" theme, well because....

Edited by MarkBearSF

31 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

I saw a menu picture from California theme Chef's Table. It appeared that there were no choices for the main course (or others). Is this the case? In our case, we'd have to cancel because my husband is allergic to fish. (I'm also a bit picky, which could be a potential issue)

Not to mention we probably wouldn't pick the "California Cuisine" theme, well because....

Mark, this is true that it is a fixed course dinner. However, if someone has an allergy then the chef will usually supply an alternate course for that person. One of our foursome on our 2019 cruise had a seafood allergy and each meal would be discussed with him in advance - whether in The Restaurant, Manfredi's, or the Chef's Table. Viking is very accommodating in this regard. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 3:37 PM, lackcreativity said:

For those who might not know, portions in the Chef's Table are generally small, even if there are multiple portions and multiple wines.  It's one of the many reasons I love it. 

Everyone says the portions are too small.  Maybe we are just normal people, but we thought they were quite generous portions at all the Chef's Tables dinners!!   Some people had to go to the WC to get more food, but we were absolutely satisfied at the end of the glorious meals at Chef's Table.  It is all about the experience!  Can't wait!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MarkBearSF said:

DW has a number of allergies and never had a problem getting alternatives. The waiters and galley crew were brilliant.

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

DW has a number of allergies and never had a problem getting alternatives. The waiters and galley crew were brilliant.

Just returned from my first Viking cruise on Venus around the UK - absolutely great and they were so on top of my food allergies - every day the Restaurant menu was delivered with details of the days offerings so I could make sure I was not served anything of concern and both Chef's Table and Manfredi's also checked in prior to my reservation.  Both were really good - the British menu in the Chefs Table was excellent - point to note - pretty normal eater but I only had half the first two courses as I was filling up and didnt want to miss the remaining two - plus the wine selections were different and really worked  - hope you try this its worth it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

We had this on Viking Venus last week.  It wasn't great.  The amuse bouche was fine, and the tiny little crab cake starter was very good, and the pudding was good, but the main course halibut was overcooked and uninteresting. The ginger and vodka granita was interesting but too gingery for my husband. I think you either love Chefs Table or are 'meh' about it. I'm definitely 'meh'.   The food in Manfredi's and The Restaurant is phenomenal, and CT just doesn't match up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KiwiClaire said:

We had this on Viking Venus last week.  It wasn't great.  The amuse bouche was fine, and the tiny little crab cake starter was very good, and the pudding was good, but the main course halibut was overcooked and uninteresting. The ginger and vodka granita was interesting but too gingery for my husband. I think you either love Chefs Table or are 'meh' about it. I'm definitely 'meh'.   The food in Manfredi's and The Restaurant is phenomenal, and CT just doesn't match up. 

It is true that some people may not like the fixed menu style of Chef's Table (we do!), but it is also possible that you might like some menus but not others. I think we have eaten at the Chef's Table five times. One we didn't care for, two we liked, one we loved, and one was perhaps the best meal I have ever eaten. We really love the whole experience. It is different from our usual choices at home, but that is why we travel!

• Like 3

We love the Chef’s Table!  My BF is a picky eater and on our first cruise I was hesitant to even book a table.  Well, he loved it, ate everything that was served, and we had a great time!  It’s such a fun and unique experience.  We’ve tried 7 menus over 3 cruises and enjoyed them all.  At Manfredi’s we’ve learned to order half portions of the entrees or it’s just too much food.  

I was surprised to find that my allergy information was loaded into my profile after the first cruise.  At the Restaurant, the waiter checked his device and said, “I see you’re allergic to strawberries, we’ll make sure you don’t get any!”  I was impressed.  You can also pre-order your meals if you have specific medical requirements.  I think Viking does an exceptional job in this area.  

Looking forward to our next cruise!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frenchberet said:

We love the Chef’s Table!  My BF is a picky eater and on our first cruise I was hesitant to even book a table.  Well, he loved it, ate everything that was served, and we had a great time!  It’s such a fun and unique experience.  We’ve tried 7 menus over 3 cruises and enjoyed them all.  At Manfredi’s we’ve learned to order half portions of the entrees or it’s just too much food.  

I was surprised to find that my allergy information was loaded into my profile after the first cruise.  At the Restaurant, the waiter checked his device and said, “I see you’re allergic to strawberries, we’ll make sure you don’t get any!”  I was impressed.  You can also pre-order your meals if you have specific medical requirements.  I think Viking does an exceptional job in this area.  

Looking forward to our next cruise!

I think you have set out the idea of the Chefs Table here - its not just a meal but an experience and each time one visits, its a new experience - so looking forward to doing it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone who was on Viking Orion June 15 cruise ate in Chef Table first night . It was the Mexican menu .

we have reservations the third night on our cruise in July . Looking forward to a wonderful dinner. 
if I remember right wine pairing without silver beverage package is $25 per person. 

FYI, there is always wine paring to the meal courses in the CT, but the $$ paring wines tend to be better quality.

We always have the Silver Spirits package, but I have more than once chosen the base wine for a course when it was one I particularly liked. 
(We have eaten at the CT over 50 times 😊)

Tom

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tom.in.nc said:

FYI, there is always wine paring to the meal courses in the CT, but the $$ paring wines tend to be better quality.

We always have the Silver Spirits package, but I have more than once chosen the base wine for a course when it was one I particularly liked. 
(We have eaten at the CT over 50 times 😊)

Tom

Your are the pro Tom , a testament to  what a great alternative restaurant  it is. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cybercsp said:

Can someone tell me what the wine pairing charge is if you do not have the Silver Spirits package?

No charge; we've only had the Silver Spirits package once (included).  The waiters still bring wine for every course.  It's great,  but you'll have the stemless wine 🍷 glasses instead, from our experience. 

That is great.  Wondering whether the stemless glasses signals a different wine pour than what the Silver Spirits people receive….unless everyone receives a stemless glass.   Love learning about what to expect! Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 10:45 AM, Cybercsp said:

Can someone tell me what the wine pairing charge is if you do not have the Silver Spirits package?

There is one included "free" wine for each course. If you want "premium" wine, it's free with silver spirits or you do have to pay for it.

8 minutes ago, snoopy2001 said:

There is one included "free" wine for each course. If you want "premium" wine, it's free with silver spirits or you do have to pay for it.

In 2019, it was $25 if not on SSP.