Holland America Europe 2021 Cruising Update (Canceled entire Season) Will Royal Caribbean follow?

Europe 2021 Cruising Update

We are thrilled about our return to the Mediterranean with voyages departing from August 15th through October 30th, 2021. However, while we continue to work with local governments on our return to cruising in Europe this year, we have made the difficult decision to cancel the remainder of the season aboard Nieuw Statendam and Volendam, affecting cruises from September through November. For more details on these cancellations, including a Voyage Mapping List, see the GoHAL.com/policies page.

Does anyone think Royal Caribbean will follow shortly?

See nothing from Barcelona or Rome?

Edited by Jimbo

13 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

If Jewel (East Med), Anthem (Southampton) and Harmony (West Med from Barcelona) are finally sailing in Europe this should be it for 2021 and they will cancel the rest. 

How about Harmony from Rome? or are they not picking up passengers from there? Is that port not going to be open to processing outgoing passengers?

Edited by Jimbo

“cancel the remainder of the season aboard Nieuw Statendam and Volendam

While this isn’t a HAL board, the header is misleading - only two HAL ships have cancelled their Europe 2021 season. 

35 minutes ago, 2inSETexas said:

“cancel the remainder of the season aboard Nieuw Statendam and Volendam

While this isn’t a HAL board, the header is misleading - only two HAL ships have cancelled their Europe 2021 season. 

Yes, I didn't know that since it sounds like you know more about HAL then myself, do they even sail from Rome or Barcelona normally?

11 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, I didn't know that since it sounds like you know more about HAL then myself, do they even sail from Rome or Barcelona normally?

Yes, HAL does have regular departures from Rome (Citavecchia) and Barcelona. Plenty in 2022. What was cancelled for 2021 was only those departures. They still have sailings scheduled in 2021 for Athens and Venice.

Edited by 2inSETexas

1 hour ago, 2inSETexas said:

Yes, HAL does have regular departures from Rome (Citavecchia) and Barcelona. Plenty in 2022. What was cancelled for 2021 was only those departures. They still have sailings scheduled in 2021 for Athens and Venice.

I see so how long ago were those sailings canceled, just recently or has it been over a month ago or more?

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

How about Harmony from Rome? or are they not picking up passengers from there? Is that port not going to be open to processing outgoing passengers?

Italian government just announced that Brits have to do 5 days quarantine on arrival! Arrivals from USA do not.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, little britain said:

Italian government just announced that Brits have to do 5 days quarantine on arrival! Arrivals from USA do not.

Can you give us a confirmation site??  Official Notification Information, I am not doubting you in the least but I would like to read..  We are sailing out of Rome.

Thank you.

Edited by Gen X Life

11 minutes ago, Gen X Life said:

Can you give us a confirmation site??  Official Notification Information, I am not doubting you in the least but I would like to read..  We are sailing out of Rome.

Thank you.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/italy-require-day-quarantines-travelers-uk-78357206

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-57531054

Edited by little britain

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I see so how long ago were those sailings canceled, just recently or has it been over a month ago or more?

Just last week, June 10th. Only the Med sailings for those two ships were cancelled. If possible, existing reservations were moved to the Athens or Venice sailings. HAL’s new ship is still scheduled to sail in Northern Europe in Sept.  As I said in my original comment, the heading for this thread is misleading and doesn’t even match the press release information quoted. 

We cancelled our July 24 Greek Isles trip out of Venice months ago, and booked the same trip (but in a Junior Suited instead of balcony, for less!) for August of '22. Finally, on June 15th, Royal announced that a bunch of ships aren't sailing before August (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates) and ours was one of them. The total fare for our 2022 junior suite has gone up $2000 since we booked it. 

I wouldn't expect to cruise out of Europe this summer season. Just my opinion, but I think that the delta variant is going to slow down the opening of borders and welcoming of cruise ships in places where the whole economy isn't reliant on the cruise industry. If you think your cruise is likely to get cancelled, book your replacement now. It may be a better deal than lift-and-shift or the 125% FCC.

Good luck all!

16 minutes ago, cruisin from florida said:

We cancelled our July 24 Greek Isles trip out of Venice months ago, and booked the same trip (but in a Junior Suited instead of balcony, for less!) for August of '22. Finally, on June 15th, Royal announced that a bunch of ships aren't sailing before August (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates) and ours was one of them. The total fare for our 2022 junior suite has gone up $2000 since we booked it. 

I wouldn't expect to cruise out of Europe this summer season. Just my opinion, but I think that the delta variant is going to slow down the opening of borders and welcoming of cruise ships in places where the whole economy isn't reliant on the cruise industry. If you think your cruise is likely to get cancelled, book your replacement now. It may be a better deal than lift-and-shift or the 125% FCC.

Good luck all!

Mine won't it was a lift and shift price I have now...won't touch that price in 2022.............My final payment for a September 23rd sailing is within the next 5 days...........What to do? is the question..........

Not sailing this year is 1 thing I know....how can anyone get excited about taking a cruise to Europe now with so many unknown factors on the ship and in the ports in 3 or 4 different countries?

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Mine won't it was a lift and shift price I have now...won't touch that price in 2022.............My final payment for a September 23rd sailing is within the next 5 days...........What to do? is the question..........

Not sailing this year is 1 thing I know....how can anyone get excited about taking a cruise to Europe now with so many unknown factors on the ship and in the ports in 3 or 4 different countries?

Ugh. Hate to make that final payment on a cruise that can't possibly happen. I don't know what I would do in your shoes. If you believe that RCCL is going to survive, and you know you want to do a European cruise next year (or 2023), you could go ahead and book it (at the current high prices) with the minimum deposit possible, and then apply your 125% FCC to the booking later to take away some of the sting. Not a great solution, but at least you have a cruise booked. Then if your Europe cruise takes place by some miracle, you can cancel the "future" one.. 🤷‍♂️..