Limited Capacity?

jules815

That is probably going to be in flux now that the state of Florida has won their lawsuit against the CDC.   It will put the entire cruise industry and all of its passengers at risk when the individual cruise lines start asking, “If the cruise line ports in Florida can load our ships full of sick and unregulated passengers then what’s the point of trying to control it at the other ports?”    If the Florida decision is allowed to be precedent setting without any pushback or appeal, then the cruise line industry risks becoming a Petri dish on the water.

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidari said:

Not happened with the Italian or UK sailings where everyone is tested prior to boarding and checked onboard , why would it happen in Florida ? 

I thought it was happening because some people had mentioned that when they called in to get room assignments (after their room had been switched to a GTY) they were told by reps that certain rooms were blocked off because of limited capacity. This is on Mera for 7-day sailing beginning in September.

I have not seen any definitive restrictions for the few lines I follow.  With the info posted by DC that Florida won the case vs CDC I wouldn't think there would be any restrictions including mask requirement but maybe the lines will start slow for testing and assurance that things start well.

That being said, I see their short trips in August out of Miami as the start slow plan.  Those I could see limited capacity.

Just because it looks like the CDC requirements aren't mandatory it doesn't mean the cruises will suddenly be a free for all. I would bet cruise lines are apt to operate similarly to how they are in places not covered by the cdc. 

• Like 3

On 6/19/2021 at 6:08 PM, jules815 said:

Do we know how long ships will be sailing at limited capacity?  And exactly what are the numbers for that?  Are they sailing 75% occupancy or less?

I can see lots of adjacent cabins being sold,  so I guess if all passengers are fully vaccinated they will not restrict the crowds, so to say.

Because it will be loss making for them to do so.

I had read some years earlier that cruises break even at 95% capacity.

the remaining 5% cabins are pure profit.

Also the onboard sales are a major chunk of the revenue and profit.

They also need full ships, so that the crew get their full share of gratuities, else they will be very unhappy.

Because gratuities form almost their entire salary.

Edited by drsel

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up.

As of now, Meraviglia isn't sailing at full capacity. 

I know things change day-by-day, but wondering if anyone's heard when they plan on going full capacity again. Was that the November 1 date? I seem to remember something changing after that date, am I right?

MSC will respect capacity limitations for the whole ships.

But YC will be filled up, packed, crammed to max. capacity as this generates more revenue and there is no regulation on capacity.

Who ever hoped about any under-utilization of YC due to COVID might be disappointed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

MSC will respect capacity limitations for the whole ships.

But YC will be filled up, packed, crammed to max. capacity as this generates more revenue and there is no regulation on capacity.

Who ever hoped about any under-utilization of YC due to COVID might be disappointed.

Yep, seems everyone who bids YC wins.

Yes, that's another way to pack the YC. If not enough bids they upgrade people for free or should I say rather promotion reasons. That's how we were "hooked" to YC since 2016 when we got a free upgrade.

But MSC should be aware:  even we are hooked we are not stupid. We have a simple rule: 300€ per person per day is our YC balcony max. limit (to the US people this is included fees and taxes). If it cost more then we look for other cruise lines (we tried Oceania and this is a all YC ship). This means usually we only sail in YC with Voyager Selection discounts as the regular prices are beyond what we pay for YC. This Sept. we try 2 sailings in YC. If we get the impression that YC experience has been eroded, we will lower our price limit which might result in "we are out". 

• Like 3