Any chance of Royal Princess doing the Aus/NZ summer season?

jspitz1

We are booked on the Royal Princess in November but I'm starting to feel like it's getting less and less likely to be sailing.  The Australian government has just extended the Australian cruise ship ban until September 17th and we are meant to be leaving on the 2nd November from Brisbane.  I imagine it will be almost impossible to get the ship here, ready to sail 6 weeks later,  if the government allows cruising after September 17th.  The cruises are all still showing on the Princess website but I'm wondering whether to book something else if it's unlikely to sail.  So disappointing if it's not happening-was really looking forward to this ship.  

If that Australia cruise cannot sail, then neither can any other Australia cruise until the country is willing to have cruising restart.

Also, since Australia currently will not allow its residents to leave the country for non-essential travel, you would not able to take a cruise that did not involve Australia.

Our cruise is only in Australia.  I had hoped they would do domestic cruises by the end of the year but that is looking more and more unlikely.  I spoke to Princess cruises today and they said they are trying to negotiate with the government but no further information yet.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

If that Australia cruise cannot sail, then neither can any other Australia cruise until the country is willing to have cruising restart.

Also, since Australia currently will not allow its residents to leave the country for non-essential travel, you would not able to take a cruise that did not involve Australia.

isn't Australia still on lockdown? I heard that all the cruises there are currently blocked and Australians themseves dont have access to world cruises right now (aside from some local river cruises). In any case, hope this ban will be off in a near time. Always dreamed to visit Australia. 

Yes, we are still unable to leave the country, apart from going to New Zealand unfortunately.  Our cruise is from Brisbane to Sydney and then is doing other cruises around Australia and New Zealand until March 2022, I think.  I had hoped they would at least be doing cruises domestically and in NZ towards the end of the year, but who knows now.  I also have a cruise booked in the Caribbean October 2022 and I even wonder if that will happen as the government is talking about not opening our borders until mid next year at the earliest (and that date has been extended a couple of times already).   I am fully vaccinated and would love for our travel options to widen soon.  Hope you get to Australia in the future Roger88.  

Welcome to Cruise Critic!  We have a November Australian/New Zealand 2021 cruise and tour booked, so I've been following this topic, too.  Since you're new here, I'd like to share some resources on these boards that might help.  For more information on this topic, I find the following threads most helpful:  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2785053-australian-cruise-ship-ban-extended/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2760660-new-zealand-border/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2777398-australianew-zealand-question/

This link also has a lot of information and is specifically aimed at Australian and New Zealand cruisers:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/564-australia-new-zealand-cruisers/

Edited by Cruisen Elf

Thanks Cruisen Elf, seeing a lot of other people wondering the same thing as me has been helpful (but still super disappointed our cruise probably won't happen). 

2 hours ago, jspitz1 said:

Thanks Cruisen Elf, seeing a lot of other people wondering the same thing as me has been helpful (but still super disappointed our cruise probably won't happen). 

It is disappointing, for sure!  This was a "trip of a lifetime" for us.  At least you already are in Australia, so if any cruising does restart, you should be among the first allowed on board.  We live in the US, and probably will be among the last folks permitted in the country (for good reason!).  My hope at this point is that the cruise lines will be notified by the Australian and New Zealand governments about continued restrictions before I have to make final payment.  I don't want to wait another 6 months for a refund like our last cancelled cruise.  Hopefully I'll be able to rebook this dream trip for 2023!

Edited by Cruisen Elf

16 hours ago, Cruisen Elf said:

It is disappointing, for sure!  This was a "trip of a lifetime" for us.  At least you already are in Australia, so if any cruising does restart, you should be among the first allowed on board.  We live in the US, and probably will be among the last folks permitted in the country (for good reason!).  My hope at this point is that the cruise lines will be notified by the Australian and New Zealand governments about continued restrictions before I have to make final payment.  I don't want to wait another 6 months for a refund like our last cancelled cruise.  Hopefully I'll be able to rebook this dream trip for 2023!

Princess has said that if there is any hope a cruise might take place, they are not cancelling it.

So even if the chances are slim it will happen, as long as there is any chance it will take place, it remains on the books.

I can totally sympathise with you Cruisen Elf.  We are booked on a "trip of a lifetime" opposite to you.  We have a Caribbean cruise/California trip booked for next year in October and I'm wondering if we will be even allowed out of Oz by then.  I have just re-booked an Australian domestic trip for the third time due to constant lock downs in Victoria where we live.  Is hard to get excited about any trip at the moment for us, as it's just cancellation after cancellation.  

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess has said that if there is any hope a cruise might take place, they are not cancelling it.

So even if the chances are slim it will happen, as long as there is any chance it will take place, it remains on the books.

Yes, this exactly what I expect will happen.  Looks like I'll be giving Princess another interest free loan!  And should travel be allowed by some miracle, it will leave me no time to arrange the necessary Visas, or book tours and hotels.  Here we go again!  

5 hours ago, jspitz1 said:

I can totally sympathise with you Cruisen Elf.  We are booked on a "trip of a lifetime" opposite to you.  We have a Caribbean cruise/California trip booked for next year in October and I'm wondering if we will be even allowed out of Oz by then.  I have just re-booked an Australian domestic trip for the third time due to constant lock downs in Victoria where we live.  Is hard to get excited about any trip at the moment for us, as it's just cancellation after cancellation.  

I feel your frustration!  I can't wait for the day when we all can travel safely, and this terrible pandemic is controlled.

Yes, I'm finding it really unsettling the cancelling and re-booking constantly.  Then when you do re-book the prices of hotels, airfares etc have gone up as you're booking them with short notice.  Our one week domestic trip we have had to re-book 3 times has gone up $3500 for the exact same holiday!  Normally I wouldn't be paying this and would just cancel, but I'm so desperate to get away!!!!!  

6 hours ago, jspitz1 said:

Yes, I'm finding it really unsettling the cancelling and re-booking constantly.  Then when you do re-book the prices of hotels, airfares etc have gone up as you're booking them with short notice.  Our one week domestic trip we have had to re-book 3 times has gone up $3500 for the exact same holiday!  Normally I wouldn't be paying this and would just cancel, but I'm so desperate to get away!!!!!  

Hopefully the travel situation will improve soon.  It's been a crazy time, with everything so unsettled.  And as you noted, prices for everything are going up, up, up!  Looks like we will be having another "staycation" here at our place!    😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 9:56 PM, jspitz1 said:

We are booked on the Royal Princess in November but I'm starting to feel like it's getting less and less likely to be sailing.  The Australian government has just extended the Australian cruise ship ban until September 17th and we are meant to be leaving on the 2nd November from Brisbane.  I imagine it will be almost impossible to get the ship here, ready to sail 6 weeks later,  if the government allows cruising after September 17th.  The cruises are all still showing on the Princess website but I'm wondering whether to book something else if it's unlikely to sail.  So disappointing if it's not happening-was really looking forward to this ship.  

No doubt you like us have been advised that Princess is pausing AU cruises until mid December (and I am not that hopeful they'll be there then either).

C'est la vie I suppose.

I was booked on two cruises - Brisbane to Sydney (12-14 Nov) and then the 14 Nov cruise Sydney to Auckland.  We received the message from Princess cancelling the first but as yet nothing to cancel the second even though they have publically cancelled all cruises to Dec.  I was able to complete the form indicating my preference without the email cancellation, using the link from the first one.

I am so sorry that your once in a lifetime cruise is becoming such a chore, unfortunately both Aus and NZ are very slow off the mark vaccinating the population and both countries will struggle to get 70% vaccinated before Christmas.  Here in NZ they are now suggesting international travel for holidays is unlikely to return to pre-covid levels till 2023.  

We were very disappointed, but not surprised, that our cruisetour was cancelled.  But better to know now, so we can start planning again.  Hopefully all nations will get access to the vaccine soon and people will participate, so that everyone can resume their "normal" lives once again.  Safe travels to all!

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 12:35 AM, CarelessAndConfused said:

What are the chances that next summer (end of 2022) will be allowed for AUS/NZ cruises for international travelers?

I would think it is possible, even likely that the 2022-23 Aus NZ season will happen but it will depend on our vaccination rates, number of cases here and what is happening around the world this time next year.

• Like 1

Lost our 33 day B2B2B for late 2020. Waiting for Princess to cancel our 26 day B2B2B in January 2022. Have started looking at later cruises to the area but some of them are saying they are "not available at this time".  Those are the longer ones like the "round Australia" and the Trans Pacific to San Francisco or Vancouver. The shorter cruises show as available to book but it's hard to put together a 38 day or 58 day or so package when the longer portions aren't available to price or compare.

I received my cancellation notice for 26Nov Auckland to Sydney on the Royal. Have opted for the replacement which is the Majestic on 31 October 2022 Sydney to Sydney.  Which does mean an extra flight to Sydney, but on the plus side they are not increasing the price for the transfer and just looking at that sailing it does look like $1K more for the same cabin type, so swings and roundabouts.