Should Cunard give all those with cancelled cruises / FCC a first options for new releases

Windsurfboy

Given the demand for cruises , and that many people have had cruises cancelled.  Should  Cunard (and cruise lines in general) open up the new releases a day or two earlier to those who've they've cancelled who've taken FCC. Give them a chance before genersl public.

Ah, yes, customer appreciation. I remember when that was a thing...

There should (morally, ethically, karmically) be some means to acknowledge those passengers who have floated a loan to cruise line in the form of not asking for actual cash to be returned to them, while patiently (or not) waiting for the industry to start back up. The 25% bonus for taking FCC instead of refunds appears to have been gobbled up by price increases, so that is mostly a wash.

Your idea sounds fair to me - speaking as someone who actually doesn't have FCCs with any line. Our only financial outlay for cancelled bookings was a Cunard FCD, which was returned to us in its original form with a year added to the expiration date.

I've just had a second cruise cancelled as Cunard have pulled out of the Australia/NZ 21/22 season. I looked at doing the equivalent 22/23 cruise, a Xmas/NY itinerary Sydney return, but there were no suitable cabins. However when trying to book a possible replacement cruise I ended up having to phone Cunard and discovered there were some cabins on the Xmas/NY cruise that weren't showing online. Even though the price was a lot higher I decided to book it.

So if you're looking at replacement cruises it might be worth giving Cunard a call in case there are cabins available on cruises that look heavily booked.

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've just had a second cruise cancelled as Cunard have pulled out of the Australia/NZ 21/22 season. I looked at doing the equivalent 22/23 cruise, a Xmas/NY itinerary Sydney return, but there were no suitable cabins. However when trying to book a possible replacement cruise I ended up having to phone Cunard and discovered there were some cabins on the Xmas/NY cruise that weren't showing online. Even though the price was a lot higher I decided to book it.

So if you're looking at replacement cruises it might be worth giving Cunard a call in case there are cabins available on cruises that look heavily booked.

Thanks for the information. 

12 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Given the demand for cruises , and that many people have had cruises cancelled.  Should  Cunard (and cruise lines in general) open up the new releases a day or two earlier to those who've they've cancelled who've taken FCC. Give them a chance before genersl public.

Certainly sounds fair - but it puts Cunard in the difficult position of honoring previous deposits (funds they already hold) at the cost of delaying new moneys coming in.   I am inclined to think that the need for new cash infusions will beat out the concept of “fair” treatment.

Problem is who hasnt had a Cunard cruise or cruises cancelled since March 2020 so how do you give preferential treatment to the thousands that are in that situation. I am afraid it would be far easier just to release the Summer 2023 programme as normal and available to everyone.

• Like 1

I understand the arguement that new funds help cash flow. However FCC will be treated as a liability against profits, so there is some advantages in discharging this liability as it will have a positive impact on profit. It's a liability that will stay with them . I know  Cunard say you must use FCC within a certain time, however if you are unable to find a cruise because  of not enough supply , they will be forced to continue extending them by authorities. 

Yes thousands of people will have been cancelled,  but they will all have Cunard club numbers and a positive FCC balance. It would easy for Cunard to say for 2 or 3 days only these people can book. Easy to do by phone, shouldn't be beyond Cunard IT. If it can't be done online then Cunard may have to give more than a few days priority booking

We like many are rightly choosy about intinerary are cabin grade. When we booked our 2023 Capetown to UK leg,  I  was lax ennd didn't try till noon , when bookings opened at 10am , wanted QG ended up with last PG. So things go fast.

• Like 1

Sadly in my case they didn’t! and only option today when booking the replacement was the furthest forward standard inside deck 8 on the QV for world 2023, so we are booked but not as we had hoped. Everything decent is Long Gone. Such a shame.

19 hours ago, Summergee said:

We had 2 cruises cancelled last year but I don't expect preferential treatment.

As an individual I  certainly don't expect any preference,  but as a large group of people,  those who have had their cruises cancelled might expect some preference. 

4 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Cunard should allow those with cancelled voyages to be among the first to sail on the new Queen. May not be for another few years, though. Since we’re all dreaming…

The number of people who have had cruises cancelled by Cunard this last 15 months could fill the new Queen several times over without it being offered to general public. The new Queen is scheduled to start sailing late 2022/ early 2023.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:19 AM, majortom10 said:

The new Queen is scheduled to start sailing late 2022/ early 2023.

I would expect that timing will be delayed by a couple of years though, now, given the disruptions and financial distress caused to Carnival Corp due to the pandemic. Surely?

10 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I would expect that timing will be delayed by a couple of years though, now, given the disruptions and financial distress caused to Carnival Corp due to the pandemic. Surely?

No the build has already been pushed back to the dates  I have already given and it will go ahead on those dates as planned. P&O, who are also Carnival, have announced their new built and already on sale for cruises starting December 2022 and expect Cunard's new ship's maiden cruise not being much later.

Edited by majortom10