1st time with Princess Talk to me about dining

Catchum

We have one a fair bit of cruising with different lines and have just booked a 28 day cruise on the Crown Princess for 2023. I know I have plenty of time and lots could change but I thought I would start to get a sense of how things worked.
We are in an inside (always our preference) with the Princes Plus option. We don’t do specialty restaurants unless they are a perk with our loyalty level.
There seem to be three MDRs, which I assume all serve the same menu and one is set aside for traditional dining (which may or may not be a thing by 2023).
Do the different MDRs have different vibes / levels of formality?
I assume I will be able to book a table and time on the app later? at the moment it says I must be paid in full to access this feature.
Are the menus for the MDRs displayed somewhere each day?
Buffets: there appear to be two which serve completely different items how does this work? Can you select from both or do you all have to choose to eat from one or the other?
If the International Cafe salads are as good as everyone says that will certainly be a top spot - are there tables at the cafe or are they to go?
Chocolate Journeys are mentioned on the web site - generally I reserve all my empty calories for wine! What is it and what will I be missing?  
Coffee - with the Princess Plus it says we get coffee, my job on vacation is to leave the cabin first thing - sans make up (you have been warned) and get two mugs of good black coffee. Where is my best option to do this? Room service coffee is often horrible so we take a couple of travel mugs which have secure tops so I can get coffee without spills or burns. We are deck 10 Caribe mid if that helps.
Finally and this is not dining related but Love Boat? I am 50+ from the UK and have  managed to exist this far without ever hearing of it. I looked it up on the interweb but can you good folks fill me in so that I don’t miss anything important for my cruise without having to actually watch it? (I grew up with The Professionals, The Sweeney and Minder on TV so don’t think it would be my thing)

If these are stupid questions please just ignore them but all help would be gratefully received. 

Okay,  since no other experts have posted,  I will try to give some general info.

Yes the MDR dining rooms and menus are the same.   You can find photos and video tours online.

The Buffet is really like one large Buffet, just kind of divided into two sections.

The Buffet on Princess is usually good.  Hopefully on the Crown....  Especially on they newer ships.

Yes, the menus will be on display on the board at the MDR entrances.

You might be able to check and get that info in advance at the main customer service desk.

You can also find out when there are any more Formal nights.  (which are probably not 'Formal Night' any more).  Or other dining offerings such as the Crab Shack.

I have noticed on my last most recent cruises that fewer people really participated in Formal night.

This was what you call a warm weather more 'fun' cruise,  so that probably had some effect.

But, in the MDR they will expect pants and a collared or 'nice' shirt for men, and what I might call resort-casual for women.  (No shorts, shabby T-shirts, flip-flops, etc..)

The first night of the cruise (or leg/segment) of a longer cruise has always been Prime Rib night.  Many people decide where to dine that night based on whether they enjoy Prime Rib Beef.

Yes, with the coffee perk you can head to the International Cafe.  And they have ALL kinds of wonderful coffees and coffee drinks.  You will def. want to check that out and take advantage of their coffees and light food, nice sandwiches, and breakfast and sweets.  You should be able to find seating around the Perimeter of the Piazza there.

OHHHH,  are you talking about the Love Boat U.S. television show???

It was many years ago, and I think one of the Princess Ships was the 'Love Boat'.

It has been much beloved among it's fans!

The man who played Captain Steubing on the show, unfortunately, passed away recently.  ( Gavin McCleod  sp?)

He had always maintained ties with Princess.

Princess offered a wonderful tribute statement when he passed.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Not stupid questions. Yes coffee in the International Cafe, its the best. Yes take your travel mugs or buy the Princess ones, they are nice. We always do a fixed time and dining room, same wait staff everyday. Not to much at the buffet, only on boarding or port days. Mid ship is good just ride down and get your coffee and its all good! Yes the menus will be displayed several places. 

1 hour ago, Catchum said:

We have one a fair bit of cruising with different lines and have just booked a 28 day cruise on the Crown Princess for 2023. I know I have plenty of time and lots could change but I thought I would start to get a sense of how things worked.
We are in an inside (always our preference) with the Princes Plus option. We don’t do specialty restaurants unless they are a perk with our loyalty level.

There seem to be three MDRs, which I assume all serve the same menu and one is set aside for traditional dining (which may or may not be a thing by 2023). 

In general, pre-Covid and pre-Dine My Way, the Aft DR is 100% TD all night.  The Deck 5 Mid-Ship is 100% Anytime all night.  The Deck 6 mid-ship is TD for early dining and then turns over to Anytime.  With the implementation of Dine My Way (DMW), the concept of dedicated space for TD is unclear.  We also do not know how the Maitres D' will handle the system bookings in juggling table space.

Do the different MDRs have different vibes / levels of formality?  NO
I assume I will be able to book a table and time on the app later? at the moment it says I must be paid in full to access this feature. 

YES.  Unless you were booked with Princess prior to release of DMW, or are booked in a Suite , or have status as Elite or Platinum, no dining res until fully paid.  Generally, though, passengers in Suites and with Club Class dining do not need DMW as they have a dedicated section in a DR and they just walk-up and get a table.  Only need DMW if they are joining another party in the general DR space.

Are the menus for the MDRs displayed somewhere each day?  YES, but if you have a smart device and are using MedallionClass App on board, you will be able to see the menus in the App each day.

Buffets: there appear to be two which serve completely different items how does this work? Can you select from both or do you all have to choose to eat from one or the other?

If two buffet areas are open, they often have pretty much same thing.  It's all connected, so NBD.

If the International Cafe salads are as good as everyone says that will certainly be a top spot - are there tables at the cafe or are they to go?  There are a small number of tables in the Atrium/Piazza near the IC.

Chocolate Journeys are mentioned on the web site - generally I reserve all my empty calories for wine! What is it and what will I be missing?  Special dessert features on some evenings.

Coffee - with the Princess Plus it says we get coffee, my job on vacation is to leave the cabin first thing - sans make up (you have been warned) and get two mugs of good black coffee. Where is my best option to do this? Room service coffee is often horrible so we take a couple of travel mugs which have secure tops so I can get coffee without spills or burns. We are deck 10 Caribe mid if that helps.  YES, truck on down to the IC on your ship.

Finally and this is not dining related but Love Boat? I am 50+ from the UK and have  managed to exist this far without ever hearing of it. I looked it up on the interweb but can you good folks fill me in so that I don’t miss anything important for my cruise without having to actually watch it? (I grew up with The Professionals, The Sweeney and Minder on TV so don’t think it would be my thing)  There will be reruns playing on your cabin TV if you care to check them out.  Princess ships in general may be termed as "Love Boats".  They don't overly do this, but Princess often has wedding vows and wedding parties on board.  It's not like you are swamped with "Love Boat" theme at every turn, but Princess is a happy atmosphere with great service from the crew.  The original "Love Boat" from the old TV show is long gone of course.

If these are stupid questions please just ignore them but all help would be gratefully received. 

1 hour ago, Catchum said:

No loyalty level specialty restaurant benefit. But, the specialty restaurants on Princess are fairly priced, $29/pp which includes the gratuity. You may wish to consider. The Crown Princess has Sabatini's Trattoria, Italian, and Crown Grill Steak & Seafood. Sample menus are on line. Search Princess Cruises Crown Grill and all the menus should appear.
Do the different MDRs have different vibes / levels of formality? No
I assume I will be able to book a table and time on the app later? at the moment it says I must be paid in full to access this feature. Review the Dine My Way (DMW) posting which is in the top section. Dine My Way will be totally new on restart. You can book same time each day or you can go day by day. The DMW app assigns the DR and table size. You can only access DMW pre-cruise using a smart phone or other smart device. Windows does not work. If you do not have this hardware call Princess. If you are platinum or elite loyalty status then you can access DMW after booking. If not then you have to wait until final payment.
Are the menus for the MDRs displayed somewhere each day? Usually outside any DR on the wall. All MDR's have the same menu. 
Buffets: there appear to be two which serve completely different items how does this work? Can you select from both or do you all have to choose to eat from one or the other? Crown Princess has the Horizon Ct which has two sides, Starboard and Port. It also has the Cafe Caribe section. In the past all or part of the buffet area is open from around 5am until 11pm. Never closed during that time. The Cafe Caribe section had certain hours for Breakfast and lunch. Don't remember seeing it open for dinner. During breakfast Cafe Caribe is where you could find your made to order omelets as well as some other selections that were served in the Horizon Ct. area. At lunch Cafe Caribe had some theme selections, like Mongolian Grill, chocolate dessert buffet, and others. You have to look each day. 
If the International Cafe salads are as good as everyone says that will certainly be a top spot - are there tables at the cafe or are they to go? To my taste they are good. There are also nice paninis, quiche, some other items I can't remember and desserts. Breakfast items include doughnuts, danish, an egg McMuffin king of sandwich, and other items. Open 24/7 and no charge.
Chocolate Journeys are mentioned on the web site - generally I reserve all my empty calories for wine! What is it and what will I be missing? It is mainly certain desserts.  
Coffee - with the Princess Plus it says we get coffee, my job on vacation is to leave the cabin first thing - sans make up (you have been warned) and get two mugs of good black coffee. Where is my best option to do this? Room service coffee is often horrible so we take a couple of travel mugs which have secure tops so I can get coffee without spills or burns. We are deck 10 Caribe mid if that helps. International Cafe. Now if you have the plus fare be sure to bring both medallions.
Finally and this is not dining related but Love Boat? I am 50+ from the UK and have  managed to exist this far without ever hearing of it. I looked it up on the interweb but can you good folks fill me in so that I don’t miss anything important for my cruise without having to actually watch it? (I grew up with The Professionals, The Sweeney and Minder on TV so don’t think it would be my thing)

Nothing you may see on the Love Boat show relates to how it really is on board except that there are pools and bartenders and bar waiters.

Make sure you download the medallion class app once booked. If you do not have the smart phone or smart device then I would suggest you find a friend that can help you. 

See bold above.

Here, a video with everything you need to know about The Love Boat.

The information about the Princess ships is mentioned at almost 6 minutes in.

Ohhhh,  another little tidbit about the Love Boat...

The theme music for the Love Boat television show...

The ships horns are the first few notes of that.

"Love (boat)...  Exciting and new... Come on board..."

Of coarse, the ships horn is so deep and loud, that I am not sure how great that translates!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Of coarse, the ships horn is so deep and loud, that I am not sure how great that translates!

Love boat them played by the horns only on Royal Class ships.

Wish it was all of them...maybe they've upgraded during the shutdown.🥰

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Double post AGAIN.🤨

Edited by JF - retired RRT

The MDR menu is also posted at the elevator lobby near the entrance to the buffet.

The MDR menu has multiple items on it and most items change daily.

The embarkation day lunch in the MDR is typically very good.

Keeping in mind that many things will undoubtedly have changed when cruising resumes.  Still, I'll add a few comments that may help.  I note that you're sailing on Crown Princess, one of the last in the so called Grand Class, she's a fine ship, you'll enjoy her greatly.

- As others have noted, all of the dining rooms serve the same menu.  Typically, the aft dining room Botticelli is used only for dinner and only for fixed seating.  It's a bit challenging to access, can be reached using the AFT elevators or stairwells.  The galley is forward on deck 6 meaning you can't walk back to this dining room from the atrium without going up to deck 7.

- The deck 5 and 6 midship dining rooms are historically both Anytime dining though deck 6 Da Vinci sometimes has an early fixed seating if there are more requests than can be accommodated in Botticelli. At times, waits for Anytime dining were long and likely this system will be fully overhauled coming out of COVID.

-  A small portion of Da Vinci is also used for Club Class dining via a separate entrance.  You mention booking an inside cabin, so this won't be relevant for you.  For the record though, Club Class shares the same basic menu as everyone else with one or two mostly minor additions which vary day by day.

-  I will slightly disagree with the comments about the one large buffet.  This is largely true, but the aft portion (Cafe Caribe on the deck plan) does typically have something extra on offer at the very back.  It might be a sandwich station, a taco bar or something else that isn't found elsewhere in the main buffet.  Again, whether this will remain true upon the restart is unknown.

-  Attire.  Princess has drifted far more casual in recent years though some still wear their finest on so called formal nights.  Most though get by with slacks and a collared shirt for men and basically anything other than levi's for ladies.  The dress code police will undoubtedly flame my comments but they reflect my sincere experience without regard for the printed policy.  

- Chocolate journey is not a single thing it's more of a marketing tagline indicating a particular dessert or cocktail is heavy on chocolate, and very good chocolate it is.  You'll see "Chocolate journey" next to some items on the menu.  If this isn't your thing, no worry, there will be plenty of other choices beyond the journey lol.

- You didn't ask but I'll add that afternoon tea can be quite nice on Princess.  The tea of your choice, some finger sandwiches, cakes, cookies and the like.  Served in one of the midship dining rooms, it's well worth doing once or twice.

- No need to research the Love Boat tv series.  A few episodes will be broadcast to your stateroom tv.  It's hilarious as compared to modern day mega liners, still it can be fun to see where modern day cruising got it's start.  

Hope this is of some help, see you onboard one day!

6 hours ago, Catchum said:

Do the different MDRs have different vibes / levels of formality?
Are the menus for the MDRs displayed somewhere each day?
If the International Cafe salads are as good as everyone says that will certainly be a top spot - are there tables at the cafe or are they to go?
Chocolate Journeys are mentioned on the web site - generally I reserve all my empty calories for wine! What is it and what will I be missing?  
Coffee - with the Princess Plus it says we get coffee, my job on vacation is to leave the cabin first thing - sans make up (you have been warned) and get two mugs of good black coffee. Where is my best option to do this? Room service coffee is often horrible so we take a couple of travel mugs which have secure tops so I can get coffee without spills or burns. We are deck 10 Caribe mid if that helps.

Never stupid questions. Some answers...well..

I'll(and others) will try to help

1) Grand Princess A decent ship, though getting old by some standards.

2) Yes 3 dining rooms. Correct that one is for Trad. dining. One of the others may be partially used for TD. I think TD will continue. We've switched to Club Class, where this very little wait for your table. Pretty much the same vibe. layout varies.

3) Menus are posted each day showing lunch & dinner. It will be at the entrance to the rest.

4) Buffets will now be vastly different. They will be enclosed so pax can no longer be able to touch food(Thank God) I'm in the food industry & if you want to see my spouse get in someone's face it's over touching food with your hands. It's how one moron can infect hundreds of other pax. You will now point to what you want & staff will serve you. You may select courses from each. If they still do it that way

5) There are tables scattered around the café area, or you may choose to take it to go.(this could change?)The quality of the salads are open to personal preference. We were NOT impressed!

6) Chocolate Journeys is by Chocolatier Norman Love. They're easily the best desserts on board. Most Princess desserts are rather unmemorable. Most come from Sysco/US Foods. Much use of "Mousse" & mixes. We've seen the trucks off load at the ship before. I'm a Pastry Chef/Culinary Chef by trade. Food as a whole on the Grand class was very mediocre. The specialty rest. are pretty lame as well. Food on the Royal Class(newer ships)tends to be much better. They will offer "Special" lunches in the specialty rest. of the Grand. The Fish & chips on the Regal were excellent. On the Star Princess last year, you would have done better with a box of frozen fish from your local grocer. We're foodies, so we do not cruise Princess for their food. We reserve Oceania Line for that.

7) Wine & coffee on Princess is not of a high standard. There are NO Sommeliers on ANY Princess ship. On Oceania, we are served ILLY brand coffee. Princess is more like Folgers.

😎 The Love boat image is from the old TV show. Perhaps way in the past, it may have resembled that a bit.

Now I'll give my personal thoughts on Princess. I find it fits a little below Celebrity & just a tad above RCCL(Royal Caribbean) You will find the majority of Americans mispronounce Caribbean.  Royal Caribbean is largely responsible for this! Princess has generally good to very good food on their Royal Class ships & mediocre food on the smaller & older ships. Entertainment is decent but not excellent. You'll see lots of sidewalk sales of worthless jewelry. Please do not buy any art work. It is truly garbage & worthless it will NOT appreciate in value. Princess tours & itineraries are among the best in the industry. If you like formal nights, there are reasonable efforts to follow the dress code. Many will say dress down, but they are unfortunately all friends of Onslow. Now to the best thing: The staff. On all our cruises: Cunard/Oceania/Princess/Celebrity, no where have felt more welcome & greeted by smiling caring faces than on Princess. They may lack some of the finer skills & attention to detail, but NO WHERE will you find staff, who really do care if you're having a good time & enjoying your cruise.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Never stupid questions. Some answers...well..

I'll(and others) will try to help

1) Grand Princess A decent ship, though getting old by some standards.

2) Yes 3 dining rooms. Correct that one is for Trad. dining. One of the others may be partially used for TD. I think TD will continue. We've switched to Club Class, where this very little wait for your table. Pretty much the same vibe. layout varies.

3) Menus are posted each day showing lunch & dinner. It will be at the entrance to the rest.

4) Buffets will now be vastly different. They will be enclosed so pax can no longer be able to touch food(Thank God) I'm in the food industry & if you want to see my spouse get in someone's face it's over touching food with your hands. It's how one moron can infect hundreds of other pax. You will now point to what you want & staff will serve you. You may select courses from each. If they still do it that way

5) There are tables scattered around the café area, or you may choose to take it to go.(this could change?)The quality of the salads are open to personal preference. We were NOT impressed!

6) Chocolate Journeys is by Chocolatier Norman Love. They're easily the best desserts on board. Most Princess desserts are rather unmemorable. Most come from Sysco/US Foods. Much use of "Mousse" & mixes. We've seen the trucks off load at the ship before. I'm a Pastry Chef/Culinary Chef by trade. Food as a whole on the Grand class was very mediocre. The specialty rest. are pretty lame as well. Food on the Royal Class(newer ships)tends to be much better. They will offer "Special" lunches in the specialty rest. of the Grand. The Fish & chips on the Regal were excellent. On the Star Princess last year, you would have done better with a box of frozen fish from your local grocer. We're foodies, so we do not cruise Princess for their food. We reserve Oceania Line for that.

7) Wine & coffee on Princess is not of a high standard. There are NO Sommeliers on ANY Princess ship. On Oceania, we are served ILLY brand coffee. Princess is more like Folgers.

😎 The Love boat image is from the old TV show. Perhaps way in the past, it may have resembled that a bit.

Now I'll give my personal thoughts on Princess. I find it fits a little below Celebrity & just a tad above RCCL(Royal Caribbean) You will find the majority of Americans mispronounce Caribbean.  Royal Caribbean is largely responsible for this! Princess has generally good to very good food on their Royal Class ships & mediocre food on the smaller & older ships. Entertainment is decent but not excellent. You'll see lots of sidewalk sales of worthless jewelry. Please do not buy any art work. It is truly garbage & worthless it will NOT appreciate in value. Princess tours & itineraries are among the best in the industry. If you like formal nights, there are reasonable efforts to follow the dress code. Many will say dress down, but they are unfortunately all friends of Onslow. Now to the best thing: The staff. On all our cruises: Cunard/Oceania/Princess/Celebrity, no where have felt more welcome & greeted by smiling caring faces than on Princess. They may lack some of the finer skills & attention to detail, but NO WHERE will you find staff, who really do care if you're having a good time & enjoying your cruise.

(1) The OP is on the CROWN, but that is the oldest of Crown/Emerald/Ruby. 

(2) I have always seen that there is at least some Early TD in mid-ship Deck 6 DR.  Late TD is more than accommodated in Aft DR.  Smart MD's and HW's will send over-flow Anytimer's who are waiting to any unoccupied tables in the TD space.

(3) Menus will now also be posted to the MedallionClass App if using a smart device on board.

(4) Agree - have no issues with being served by galley staff.  This already was the case on certain stations. 

(5) Also tables aft or on Lido pool areas, depending on which ship.  Not aft of DR on CROWN, however.  Head towards MUTS screen and you can possibly dine in the outdoors.

Curious which way(s) you feel Princess is a tad below Celebrity (as an information exercise).  I used to think that, but many more recent posts have made me think pretty interchangeable on food.  Maybe better with the cabins?  We did Celebrity a number of years back when they were likely one-up on Princess in many respects.  I would do them again, but happy where we are for now. 

I wonder if the food being generally better on the newer ships - your notes - is due to the better chefs and sous-chefs getting on those ships.  Definitely more buffet variety on larger ships.  Otherwise DR menus are the same.

I 110% agree with you on the staff and the experience and service on Princess.  I think it has a LOT to do with our loyalty and enjoyment.

I would just add that the Food and Dining can vary, not only by the class/age of ship.   (Because, yes, the best of the staff would probably work their way up onto the newest ships!).  But, also just by who happens to be head of Food and Dining.   I guess the title would be Head Chef.

We were on the Regal back when they implemented the new menus and new service procedures for wait-staff.   It was not good!  Then, next time on Regal,  nice improvement!

I suspect that the food suppliers vary depending on which port the ship is sailing out of and who is the executive chef.

When the Grand Princess sailed out of San Francisco I never saw a Sysco delivery truck at the port. I would watch the trucks being unloaded and there would be vast amounts of flour, sugar, milk, meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, drinks, etc. on the pallets but no obvious prepared mixes.

At the time the Grand Princess executive chef was considered to be the best in the fleet. One voyage I took on the Grand Princess, the regular executive chef was on leave and the food quality was noticeably different.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

In the past buffet was open from early morning until around 11 PM - unlike other cruise lines it doesn't close during the day.  We seldom actually eat in the buffet - we take our plates out to loungers elsewhere.  In general, many of the dinner options are available in the buffet as well.  And if you liked the desserts in the dining room you can often get another in the buffet.   Evening has subdued lighting and a very quiet atmosphere.  The aft stations may have hard serve ice cream sundaes made with leftover specials from the previous night.

There is also a decent pizza slice place near the pool and the grill (burgers, best fries afloat, chicken, dogs) that also stay open late.  Soft serve ice cream is available during the day and you can get hard serve and shakes for extra fee.

Free popcorn for Movies Under the Stars but if a game is on the seats fill quickly.

Anytime Dining can be difficult to get reservations - you have to call DINE precisely at 8 AM and maybe you will get a reservation.  Easier just to show up.  We generally eat with the same waiters for the entire cruise even in Anytime.  You will see anything from t shirts to tuxes in the main dining rooms on formal nights.  Have seen men turned away for shorts but didn't see this on Grand.

Princess will have several shows in the main theater and lots of music in lounges and on deck near the pool.  Nothing super elaborate.  Far fewer kids than on Royal Caribbean - no slides, wave rider, bumper cars, climbing walls.  

Grand is the oldest of the Grand Class ships and is the only one that they removed the handgrip on the shopping cart about 15 years ago.  This was a lounge called Skywalkers and was a very quiet place to watch the ocean during daytime.  

We were on the second sailing of Caribbean Princess in 2004.  Vicky, the Love Boat captain's daughter got married on the first sailing and everyone on both cruises was invited.  TV show cast was there.

If you decide you like Princess, book a future cruise while onboard.  For $100US you will get that as your deposit for the next cruise plus a variable amount of onboard credit on the next cruise.  You do NOT have to actually book - the certificate will be emailed to you and entered in your Princess Captain's Circle account for future use.  Returned if not used in 2 years.  https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/FutureCruiseDepositForm.pdf

Also note that Carnival (CCL) stockholders with 100 shares would get $250 onboard credit for a 28 day cruise https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f .  If the cruise can be booked as two 14 day segments this would give you $250 for each segment. 

Military members and retirees also get a similar amount, so if you qualify you need to sign up for this. https://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/

You can bring as many bottles of wine onboard that you want.  First two are free unless you take them to the dining room.  Extras will be charged $25 corkage and these can be taken to the dining room at no extra charge.  Check the wine lists (try here first) and see if you like the wine onboard and the prices.  

2 hours ago, LeeW said:

Extras will be charged $25 corkage and these can be taken to the dining room at no extra charge.

The corkage fee has been $15 for years and is rising to $20.  Perhaps you are thinking of Celebrity or HAL?

8 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Love boat them played by the horns only on Royal Class ships.

Wish it was all of them...maybe they've upgraded during the shutdown.🥰

Hope not. 🤯 😵 

They should concentrate on upgrading the cabin bathrooms instead. 🤐

• Haha 1

Thank you so much for all the really helpful comments - I will be taking notes!

"Formal" nights are not a problem I love to dress up and DH has a good stock of tidy clothes.

I have downloaded the app and had a poke around it obviously it will be more functional nearer to sailing.

Good information on the Chocolate journeys - I love chocolate but the calorie/pleasure ratio has to be right so will certainly look out for them. 

Also will remember both medallions to get 2 cups of coffee. NCL changed their policy so now you can get two drinks with one card which made life easier and cut down queuing. 

9 hours ago, brisalta said:

I suspect that the food suppliers vary depending on which port the ship is sailing out of and who is the executive chef.

When the Grand Princess sailed out of San Francisco I never saw a Sysco delivery truck at the port. I would watch the trucks being unloaded and there would be vast amounts of flour, sugar, milk, meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, drinks, etc. on the pallets but no obvious prepared mixes.

At the time the Grand Princess executive chef was considered to be the best in the fleet. One voyage I took on the Grand Princess, the regular executive chef was on leave and the food quality was noticeably different.

We saw this in Florida.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

(1) The OP is on the CROWN, but that is the oldest of Crown/Emerald/Ruby. 

(2) I have always seen that there is at least some Early TD in mid-ship Deck 6 DR.  Late TD is more than accommodated in Aft DR.  Smart MD's and HW's will send over-flow Anytimer's who are waiting to any unoccupied tables in the TD space.

(3) Menus will now also be posted to the MedallionClass App if using a smart device on board.

(4) Agree - have no issues with being served by galley staff.  This already was the case on certain stations. 

(5) Also tables aft or on Lido pool areas, depending on which ship.  Not aft of DR on CROWN, however.  Head towards MUTS screen and you can possibly dine in the outdoors.

Curious which way(s) you feel Princess is a tad below Celebrity (as an information exercise).  I used to think that, but many more recent posts have made me think pretty interchangeable on food.  Maybe better with the cabins?  We did Celebrity a number of years back when they were likely one-up on Princess in many respects.  I would do them again, but happy where we are for now. 

I wonder if the food being generally better on the newer ships - your notes - is due to the better chefs and sous-chefs getting on those ships.  Definitely more buffet variety on larger ships.  Otherwise DR menus are the same.

I 110% agree with you on the staff and the experience and service on Princess.  I think it has a LOT to do with our loyalty and enjoyment.

Celebrity & Princess are different in certain aspects: Wine Sommeliers/Butler staff/all inclusive drinks etc./Really outstanding alternative rest. Princess lacks in this. Suite pax really do NOT get their money's worth in upper categories. If you're in lower cabins, then yes they are much similar. Suite pax on Celebrity get Luminai  rest. Nothing like this on Princess.

1 hour ago, rbtan said:

Celebrity & Princess are different in certain aspects: Wine Sommeliers/Butler staff/all inclusive drinks etc./Really outstanding alternative rest. Princess lacks in this. Suite pax really do NOT get their money's worth in upper categories. If you're in lower cabins, then yes they are much similar. Suite pax on Celebrity get Luminai  rest. Nothing like this on Princess.

Thanks for those notes.  Informative.  We generally book Inside and will do a Balcony or Partial Obstructed Balcony if good value is there (Many Princess ordinary balconies are terribly small).  I recall the Butler situation and the Sommelier.  Wasn't sure if they still had the Sommelier.  Now that I know a lot more about wine than I did when last on Celebrity, it would be interesting to see what value-add they might have.  IDK wine prices on Celebrity, but I like that we can bring own wine supply onto Princess.  The $15 corkage was excellent value, but now going to $20.

Edited by Steelers36

18 hours ago, LeeW said:

In the past buffet was open from early morning until around 11 PM - unlike other cruise lines it doesn't close during the day.  We seldom actually eat in the buffet - we take our plates out to loungers elsewhere.  In general, many of the dinner options are available in the buffet as well.  And if you liked the desserts in the dining room you can often get another in the buffet.   Evening has subdued lighting and a very quiet atmosphere.  The aft stations may have hard serve ice cream sundaes made with leftover specials from the previous night.

There is also a decent pizza slice place near the pool and the grill (burgers, best fries afloat, chicken, dogs) that also stay open late.  Soft serve ice cream is available during the day and you can get hard serve and shakes for extra fee.

Free popcorn for Movies Under the Stars but if a game is on the seats fill quickly.

Anytime Dining can be difficult to get reservations - you have to call DINE precisely at 8 AM and maybe you will get a reservation.  Easier just to show up.  We generally eat with the same waiters for the entire cruise even in Anytime.  You will see anything from t shirts to tuxes in the main dining rooms on formal nights.  Have seen men turned away for shorts but didn't see this on Grand.

Princess will have several shows in the main theater and lots of music in lounges and on deck near the pool.  Nothing super elaborate.  Far fewer kids than on Royal Caribbean - no slides, wave rider, bumper cars, climbing walls.  

Grand is the oldest of the Grand Class ships and is the only one that they removed the handgrip on the shopping cart about 15 years ago.  This was a lounge called Skywalkers and was a very quiet place to watch the ocean during daytime.  

We were on the second sailing of Caribbean Princess in 2004.  Vicky, the Love Boat captain's daughter got married on the first sailing and everyone on both cruises was invited.  TV show cast was there.

If you decide you like Princess, book a future cruise while onboard.  For $100US you will get that as your deposit for the next cruise plus a variable amount of onboard credit on the next cruise.  You do NOT have to actually book - the certificate will be emailed to you and entered in your Princess Captain's Circle account for future use.  Returned if not used in 2 years.  https://book.princess.com/html/personalizer/downloads/pdf/FutureCruiseDepositForm.pdf

Also note that Carnival (CCL) stockholders with 100 shares would get $250 onboard credit for a 28 day cruise https://www.carnivalcorp.com/static-files/50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f .  If the cruise can be booked as two 14 day segments this would give you $250 for each segment. 

Military members and retirees also get a similar amount, so if you qualify you need to sign up for this. https://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/

You can bring as many bottles of wine onboard that you want.  First two are free unless you take them to the dining room.  Extras will be charged $25 corkage and these can be taken to the dining room at no extra charge.  Check the wine lists (try here first) and see if you like the wine onboard and the prices.  

Superb summary. 
And the OP should be aware that OBCs are stackable.