Birthday while on cruise

ziggyuk

We have a birthday on our Encore Alaska cruise and our PCC has marked the special request with: 

SPECIAL REQUESTS: Birthday Cakes

Does anyone know what this request will prompt onboard?

A cake in the stateroom, in the MDR or nothing at all 🤣

Many thanks.

9 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

We have a birthday on our Encore Alaska cruise and our PCC has marked the special request with: 

SPECIAL REQUESTS: Birthday Cakes

Does anyone know what this request will prompt onboard?

Many thanks.

I know you can get the cake delivered to you in the dining room or specialty restaurant.  I have a "birthaversary" and I had one for each event given to me in the MDR.  I don't recall "in the cabin" as an option.  Imho....the buffet cakes were better.

• Like 1

I think it's kind of up to the NCL personnel.  I've sailed on my B-Day twice on NCL.  The first time I was in the Haven, and my GF mentioned to the per-board concierge that it was my birthday on embarkation day.  She also mentioned it to the Haven Concierge on board (Adrian, who is one of the best Concierges we encountered...hope he's still with them).  There was a cake in our cabin when we got there.  Plus, Adrian came by to wish me a Happy Birthday along with our Butler.

2nd time, we were in a Balcony Cabin.  GF tried to get a cake for me.......ANYWHERE.  Didn't seem like anyone really had the wherewithal to get one...not in the cabin, not in the MDR.  Perhaps if we had celebrated in one of the Specialty Restaurants it would have been different. But, really don't know.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I know you can get the cake delivered to you in the dining room or specialty restaurant.  I have a "birthaversary" and I had one for each event given to me in the MDR.  I don't recall "in the cabin" as an option.  Imho....the buffet cakes were better.

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I think it's kind of up to the NCL personnel.  I've sailed on my B-Day twice on NCL.  The first time I was in the Haven, and my GF mentioned to the per-board concierge that it was my birthday on embarkation day.  She also mentioned it to the Haven Concierge on board (Adrian, who is one of the best Concierges we encountered...hope he's still with them).  There was a cake in our cabin when we got there.  Plus, Adrian came by to wish me a Happy Birthday along with our Butler.

2nd time, we were in a Balcony Cabin.  GF tried to get a cake for me.......ANYWHERE.  Didn't seem like anyone really had the wherewithal to get one...not in the cabin, not in the MDR.  Perhaps if we had celebrated in one of the Specialty Restaurants it would have been different. But, really don't know.

Thank you both, the birthday is on the last day, sounds like it might be worth mentioning it too, I hoped as it was recorded on the booking they might take care of it and maybe leave a cake in our room.

• Like 1

8 years ago my mother, my sister her husband me and my girlfriend went on a 7 day cruise.  I came with out our mother knowing that I would be there.   My mother ended up with 3 birthday cakes, one that I purchased, another that the butler obtained for her and another which was given by NCL which came to my suite in which the Captain stopped by to wish her a happy birthday.  We met the Captain at our Meet and Greet with the Captain stopping by.   We all worn shirt  that said to wish our mother Happy Birthday and my mom's shirt said "Yes it is my birthday and you can buy me a coffee"  The captain asked her if it was her birthday and she said yes and he wished her Happy Birthday and told her that he would see her later which we thought he would be in the hallways and not stopping by my suite.   Our mom had a great time all week since I was there one sad thing is that it was her last birthday 

Sam

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sam The Cat said:

8 years ago my mother, my sister her husband me and my girlfriend went on a 7 day cruise.  I came with out our mother knowing that I would be there.   My mother ended up with 3 birthday cakes, one that I purchased, another that the butler obtained for her and another which was given by NCL which came to my suite in which the Captain stopped by to wish her a happy birthday.  We met the Captain at our Meet and Greet with the Captain stopping by.   We all worn shirt  that said to wish our mother Happy Birthday and my mom's shirt said "Yes it is my birthday and you can buy me a coffee"  The captain asked her if it was her birthday and she said yes and he wished her Happy Birthday and told her that he would see her later which we thought he would be in the hallways and not stopping by my suite.   Our mom had a great time all week since I was there one sad thing is that it was her last birthday 

Sam

What a lovely thing to do 🤩

When my MIL's boyfriend had his birthday on the ship, they brought a cake to our table at Moderno. We just told them when we got to the restaurant that it was his birthday and of they could bring him a little dessert that would be great. Ended up with a cake that fed all 7 of us. 🙂 I do think that it is not a guarantee though - depends on the crew working that day/evening. 

• Like 1

Done two b-day cruises:

- First one, didn't get anything in the cabin, but mentioned it to the server at dinner (we were at Cagney's) & was brought a slice of cake similar to the one pictured above at the end of the meal.

- Second time, I had a card waiting for me in the cabin on boarding day that said something along the lines of "NCL is pleased that you are joining us on your special day, please present this card at any restaurant for a complimentary piece of cake."  When I did so, was brought that same type of cake.  

The cake is nothing special, if we're being honest; but they will sing Happy Birthday to you & make a bit of a fuss if you enjoy that kind of stuff.  Otherwise, you can wave off the singing.  

• Like 1

I cruised during my Birthday on the Jewel and got a little cupcake with a Happy Birthday on it in the room. I was also the Meet & Greet coordinator and my mom kept telling everyone that it was my birthday so I also got a cake that they brought to the M&G (unfortunately after most everyone had left) and room decorations.

20160314_153536.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple of examples of birthday cakes we have received at dinner on NCL when letting them know there is a birthday to be celebrated (it comes with all the waiters joining in on singing a birthday song):

image.thumb.png.897935094f541ae568ce3ea44eadc5a6.png

image.png

And then this one when celebrating an anniversary on board:

image.thumb.png.49a36cc808f5de56171f96f5461a4ae8.png

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

.....Does anyone know what this request will prompt onboard?

Many thanks.

Certainly a basic cake, swiftly followed by a charge to your account with 18% gratuity added for your convenience. 😂

Edited by hamrag
  • Haha 1

My DW received a giant cup cake for hers a number of years ago, I think it was the Dawn (Panama Canal cruise), personally delivered by the Hotel Director in the Cagneys Specialty Restaurant....she loved it, and said it was much nicer than any of the regular birthday cakes on NCL.

• Like 1

I might be cruising on my birthday if NCL doesn't cancel of next cruise.   I wouldn't want a piece of cake (I loved cakes when younger, not not now), so I wouldn't even want to mention it.  But a glass of red wine I'd take.

Our first cruise on the Epic we indicated we were celebrating my MIL's birthday. Brought the little card to the MDR and let them know it was her birthday - nothing happened at all.

On another cruise on POA we said it was a birthday celebration cruise for 3/4 of us (lots of July birthdays), we were wished a happy birthday but that's about it.

For my parents sailing on the Bliss pre-Covid I paid to have their cabin decorated with balloons and a cake for their anniversary. That's the only time we've gotten anything. So as typical with NCL, consistently inconsistent.

• Like 1