Harborside Wedding - early arrival - do the parking attendants know to let you in early?

luvavacation

Hoping to hear that someone on this board has experienced a Harborside wedding and has some insight.

We will be attending a wedding on a Princess Cruise.  The wedding is taking place the day of departure.  We are expected to be at the ship 2.5 - 3 hours before standard boarding.

How do the people manning the gates to the port know that we are supposed to be arriving for this?  Do they receive a list that tells them to let the wedding guests into the port and parking garages at an earlier time?  

We have been on other cruises where you aren't allowed into the port area until a certain time, and thus there will be a line of cars waiting to enter the port.  The fear is that we will be stuck in that line and totally miss the wedding.  Does anyone here have experience with arriving early for an event on the ship?

US Port? Parking should not be an issue at U.S. ports. It's all public parking. No lines. Don't know about other countries. You may have to show your boarding pass and ID/passport at the security gate. Depends.

Regarding the process of boarding the ship, have you checked with the bride & groom? They should have exact details and specific documents required from Princess. If you are on their guest list you can call Princess for more information. Are you sailing on the cruise?  Protocols may change after the re-start.  

Why wouldn't the to-be-married couple or the wedding planner/organizer furnish guests with more clear and concise info?

And if he/she doesn't know the process, he/she needs to find out and advise everyone involved.

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

A wedding ON the ship? Before sail away?

Not sure that that's a thing that's done.

Do you have more details? Port? Date?

It is something Princess advertises. Re-start protocols may change the procedures. 

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Wedding guests/participants have been arriving early and have been the 1st to board for many, many years. There should be no problem getting into Port Everglades. You won't have to explain a thing.

Wedding parties always boarded first. They were the folks that got on even before the BVE guests. I agree that this is nothing new and "shouldn't" be an issue.

Yes, it a Harborside wedding, taking place before the ship leaves port.  

The wedding planner from Princess is not sure what the process is to ensure access to the port for early arrival.  Perhaps this wedding planner is new?  I do not know.  She has previously mentioned that she is the only planner contracted for a few other cruiselines and has a lot on her docket.  

I just know I am tired of waiting for an "official" answer and was hoping that someone here had previously done a Harborside wedding and could fill me in on the procedure to ensure early arrival and parking.  

Most of our guests have never sailed from Port Everglades, and are unsure of what the pre-cruise lines look like.  My experience when sailing DCL from Port Canaveral is that early arrivals have to wait and are not allowed to enter the drop-off and parking zones until a later time (perhaps 11:00?).  I have not shown up early for other cruise lines so I do not know if this is different at other ports with other cruiselines.

There are some guests to this wedding that are causing great anxiety, and sucking in other attendees, with their fear of not being able to enter the port in time and park so that we can get on the ship for the wedding.  I was hoping to allay some of that fear by learning about what others experienced.  

Edited by luvavacation

Luvavacation, 

There is a specialty board titled Honeymoon and Wedding cruises. You many want to post this question on that board.(or do a search to see if it's already been asked in the past)  Since it's dedicated to all things cruise wedding related, there may be some good advice on it. I'm planning a wedding and i've found it extremely helpful . 

🤞

12 minutes ago, luvavacation said:

There are some guests to this wedding that are causing great anxiety, and sucking in other attendees, with their fear of not being able to enter the port in time and park so that we can get on the ship for the wedding.  I was hoping to allay some of that fear by learning about what others experienced.  

Anyone who is picking up a disembarking guest has entered the port / parking garage much earlier.

If your ship is at terminal 2, you do not have to pass through security prior to entering the passenger pick-up area,

or the northport parking garage.

12 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

Luvavacation, 

There is a specialty board titled Honeymoon and Wedding cruises. You many want to post this question on that board.(or do a search to see if it's already been asked in the past)  Since it's dedicated to all things cruise wedding related, there may be some good advice on it. I'm planning a wedding and i've found it extremely helpful . 

🤞

I didn't realize that!  Thanks, I will go and check on that board shortly!😊

1 hour ago, skynight said:

It is something Princess advertises. Re-start protocols may change the procedures. 

Well, DUH. 😳 

I've seen wedding parties called to board, but assumed that was for bride, groom and those who'd be sailing with them. So, it's more like a BVE.

I wonder if the partiers can buy FCDs before they leave the ship? 😁

14 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Well, DUH. 😳 

I've seen wedding parties called to board, but assumed that was for bride, groom and those who'd be sailing with them. So, it's more like a BVE.

I wonder if the partiers can buy FCDs before they leave the ship? 😁

If it's like the BVE then any "booked" guest can also bring on their duty-free bottle of wine for the "voyage" and then leave it behind with the folks who are actually sailing.

Now that we know it is Port Everglades here is some further information. Princess ships usually dock at pier 2 which is directly adjacent to the Northport parking garage. You enter off of Eisenhower Blvd. It is a public garage, no waiting. Just drive in go up the ramp and self park. Take the elevator down to ground level and walk across the street to the pier entrance. Present your documents and get ready to board the ship. Drop off isn't really necessary, but if you want to drop someone off you just follow the taxis and lots of traffic around the drop off circle. The drop off is basically where the parking garage elevator lets you off. No real advantage. 

If the ship is at a mid port pier, in the past Princess sometimes used pier 21, then you have to actually go through the security entrance on Eisenhower Blvd. which is just past the SE 20th St. entrance to the Northport parking garage. You will probably have to show your boarding passes as well as passports or if you are not sailing some gov't ID to pass through the security gate. You then drive over to the midport garage. You can park, take the elevator down to street level and then make your way to the proper pier. You can also make your way through the traffic and the circle and drop off nearer the actual pier, but it will be a crowded and busy area.

If you are staying the evening before at a nearby hotel, just take a taxi or uber to the pier.

Entering Port Everglades has never been a problem. Just have your boarding documents. Yes, guests will have boarding documents of some kind and will have to pass through security inside the terminal. You will not be able to board the ship without these. According to what I have read proof of covid vaccination will also be necessary to board the ship, or you may have to be tested in advance and when boarding. Of course this all depends on when the wedding is scheduled. Follow whatever instructions are provided by Princess.

https://porteverglades.org/port-everglade-facilities-map.htm

Also check Google maps.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

Thank you, skynight!  Do you mind if I copy your reply and send it on to the concerned guests?  I realize they are waiting for a reply from the wedding planner directly, but your explanation seems very thorough and informative, which should help alleviate any worries about missing the wedding!

21 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If it's like the BVE then any "booked" guest can also bring on their duty-free bottle of wine for the "voyage" and then leave it behind with the folks who are actually sailing.

Oh?  Hmm, this may be a great idea!

1 hour ago, luvavacation said:

Yes, it a Harborside wedding, taking place before the ship leaves port.  

The wedding planner from Princess is not sure what the process is to ensure access to the port for early arrival.  Perhaps this wedding planner is new?  I do not know.  She has previously mentioned that she is the only planner contracted for a few other cruiselines and has a lot on her docket.  

I just know I am tired of waiting for an "official" answer and was hoping that someone here had previously done a Harborside wedding and could fill me in on the procedure to ensure early arrival and parking.  

Most of our guests have never sailed from Port Everglades, and are unsure of what the pre-cruise lines look like.  My experience when sailing DCL from Port Canaveral is that early arrivals have to wait and are not allowed to enter the drop-off and parking zones until a later time (perhaps 11:00?).  I have not shown up early for other cruise lines so I do not know if this is different at other ports with other cruiselines.

Port Everglades is a working port, not just a cruise port. Trucks are going in and out at all hours.

Have your guests enter from the 17th Street entrance.If your ship is leaving from Terminal 2, your cab driver won't even have to wait in line to go through security, as most drivers are aware of the shortcut through the convention center parking lot.

3066413_ScreenShot2021-06-24at3_53_04PM.thumb.png.1386c35b3d2e071e269fb828f28e0e93.png

3 hours ago, luvavacation said:

Thank you, skynight!  Do you mind if I copy your reply and send it on to the concerned guests?  I realize they are waiting for a reply from the wedding planner directly, but your explanation seems very thorough and informative, which should help alleviate any worries about missing the wedding!

Sure. What is the ship and date of sailing? If there is only one Princess ship in port pretty sure it will be at pier 2. If more than one then the mid port piers could be used.

7 hours ago, skynight said:

Sure. What is the ship and date of sailing? If there is only one Princess ship in port pretty sure it will be at pier 2. If more than one then the mid port piers could be used.

If multiple Princess ships will be in port, you may not know until a few days before the cruise which pier is being used.

But this is not a problem. When entering the port there are plenty of signs indicating which pier every ship is at.

16 hours ago, caribill said:

If multiple Princess ships will be in port, you may not know until a few days before the cruise which pier is being used.

But this is not a problem. When entering the port there are plenty of signs indicating which pier every ship is at.

Plus security has always told us (without us asking) which terminal and parking lot to go to.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:53 PM, CineGraphic said:

If your ship is leaving from Terminal 2, your cab driver won't even have to wait in line to go through security, as most drivers are aware of the shortcut through the convention center parking lot.

There is still a choke point when you turn east from Eisenhower.   If the drop-off / pick-up look is backed up enough,

it also blocks access to the parking decks main entrance, and the loop in front of the convention center entrance.

(where there is a second entrance to the parking decks that is sometimes open, sometimes not)

If you do manage to vector off towards the convention center, there is a phlanax of belligerent deputies

waiting to point out that they don't like what you are doing.