Too cold to do Cape Liberty, NJ cruise in Dec?

On 6/26/2021 at 11:54 PM, zeppgirl said:

I'm having internal turmoil because we are looking to book our next cruise. The best deal and the longest cruise is one sailing from Cape Liberty to Florida and the Bahamas. All looks good, except I'm concerned about flying to NJ in the winter and that the first few days and last few days of the cruise will be cold. Has anyone sailed from here in the winter and if so, how was your experience?

I live about 4 hours from the terminal.  Bring some long pants, a sweatshirt, and a jacket and you should be fine.  You'll only need them while you're in NJ and maybe the first and last day of the cruise (it takes about a day to sail from there to FL).

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 1965 during the NYC Transit strike I walked from where I lived in Brooklyn to get my paycheck at 6th.Ave and 47 St.in Manhattan.Of course when I got there my office was closed.I walked back and sprained both ankles.

I have been set up with direct deposit since my first full time job in 1983. The only time I didn't receive pay through DD was 911 when they couldn't transmit the payment. We got a check that week and had to wait on long lines to cash it.  

On 7/28/2021 at 7:31 PM, MorganClark said:

When are you booked on Anthem in January? I'm booked on her Jan 20-31, 2022. Glad to hear that Anthem is a great cold weather ship!

@MorganClark  Come join us on the Roll Call for this cruise!  Here is the link:    https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2754610-anthem-of-the-seas-jan-20-jan-31-2022-11-night-southern-caribbean-cruise/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have been set up with direct deposit since my first full time job in 1983. The only time I didn't receive pay through DD was 911 when they couldn't transmit the payment. We got a check that week and had to wait on long lines to cash it.  

Direct Deposit did not exist in 1965.

3 hours ago, Cruisen Elf said:

Actually, I'm already on the Roll Call (just haven't posted in awhile). I can't tell you what my CC screen name was because I don't want to get thrown in the CC brig again (and they throw away the key). But, I'm glad to see this Roll Call is "coming to life", with more & more joining. Looks like it's time for me to come back on (and sign up for the M&G). See you over there...

P.S. and, thanks for bringing this Roll Call back to my attention (& providing the link). I had forgotten about it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Stores were only open late on Thursday night and were closed on Sunday.   We did things differently then!

With everyone banking online for paying bills loans, mortgages and investments or using ATMs they can go back to the limited hours  and with all the online shopping, stores can go back to being closed on Sundays and only open late on a Thursday night. The malls have been empty a week before Christmas for a few years and now Covid has helped to increase online traffic and decreased foot traffic even more.

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

With everyone banking online for paying bills loans, mortgages and investments or using ATMs they can go back to the limited hours  and with all the online shopping, stores can go back to being closed on Sundays and only open late on a Thursday night. The malls have been empty a week before Christmas for a few years and now Covid has helped to increase online traffic and decreased foot traffic even more.

Yes but, with our bank branch closed, after getting money from an ATM had to find a drive up window to break the twenty into smaller bills.  Shopping mall parking lots are crowded these days.  So not sure where you have been going.

11 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Yes but, with our bank branch closed, after getting money from an ATM had to find a drive up window to break the twenty into smaller bills.  Shopping mall parking lots are crowded these days.  So not sure where you have been going.

I have worked in retail for 40yrs and have seen the decline in traffic. Major department stores are closing, malls have vacant stores. If you can still find a spot in the parking lot the mall isn't crowded. Most of the cars belong to the employees working there.  There is only one Sears left on Long Island and probably going to be the next to close.  The parking lots seem crowded now because you are comparing it to last year when everything was closed.  Walmart and Target are the only stores around here who see steady traffic.

Edited by Iamcruzin

20 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

We do not do online banking and never buy anything on line.

16 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

I have never used an ATM machine.

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have worked in retail for 40yrs and have seen the decline in traffic. Major department stores are closing, malls have vacant stores. If you can still find a spot in the parking lot the mall isn't crowded. Most of the cars are the employees working there.  There is only one Sears left on Long Island and probably going to be the next to close.  The parking lots seem crowded now because you are comparing it to last year when everything was closed.  Walmart and Target are the only stores around here who see steady traffic.

I basically have only been going to doctors offices and hospitals since the pandemic began but I have passed hundreds of store parking areas and they are full.

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We do not do online banking and never buy anything on line.

Today's technology wasn't available to your generation.I read here and the other boards how some reject the new technology being used on a cruise ship to read a menu. I wouldn't expect those people to take to bank online. AT the same time if you are retired you can make it to the bank by 3:00pm. My kids have checking accounts but never write a check they use instacart for grocery delivery and doordash for take out food delivery. People have been working home for over a year so even going to the office is obsolete.  The stores have limited inventory and every time I have made an attempt to go to the store and buy something I end up ordering it online from Amazon while I'm still in the store. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I basically have only been going to doctors offices and hospitals since the pandemic began but I have passed hundreds of store parking areas and they are full.

First of all the malls were closed from March to June 2020 so the only parking lots full were stores that sold food. When was the last time you walked through a mall before the pandemic.  In 2019 I worked a in Walt Whitman mall. The only store with traffic and a line of people was the Apple store. You needed an appointment to be served. Macy's, Bloomingdale's Saks and Lord and Taylor were empty. Lord and Taylor went out of business when the stores reopened after the pandemic. Macy's closed the Hicksville and Commack locations. I don't care how many cars you see in the parking lot the business isn't there and there is no reason for extended hours.

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Today's technology wasn't available to your generation. I here and the other boards how some reject the new technology being used on a cruise ship to read a menu. I wouldn't expect those people to take to bank online. AT the same time if you are retired you can make it to the bank by 3:00pm. My kids have checking accounts but never write a check they use instacart for grocery delivery and doordash for take out food delivery. People have been working home for over a year so even going to the office is obsolete.  The stores have limited inventory and every time I have made an attempt to go to the store and buy something I end up ordering it online from Amazon while I'm still in the store. 

Today’s technology in part was not available 5 years ago.I was working with computers,although primitive by today’s standards in the 1980’s.

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

First of all the malls were closed from March to June 2020 so the only parking lots full were stores that sold food. When was the last time you walked through a mall before the pandemic.  In 2019 I worked a in Walt Whitman mall. The only store with traffic and a line of people was the Apple store. You needed an appointment to be served. Macy's, Bloomingdale's Saks and Lord and Taylor were empty. Lord and Taylor went out of business when the stores reopened after the pandemic. Macy's closed the Hicksville and Commack locations. I don't care how many cars you see in the parking lot the business isn't there and there is no reason for extended hours.

The last time I was physically able to walk in a mall was 2016.That was the Fortunoff Mall in Westbury and as you indicated it was nearly empty.

However,my daughters were in Roosevelt Field two weeks ago to shop at Nordstrom’s and they said the store was crowded.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

Today’s technology in part was not available 5 years ago.I was working with computers,although primitive by today’s standards in the 1980’s.

I have been banking and shopping online for at least 20 yrs. Video Dr visits only started last year and was a huge success. My wife was setting up appointments for people in their 80's who had little technology skills and were afraid at first. Now they don't want to go to the office and prefer the appointment be on an iPad.

The last time I was physically able to walk in a mall was 2016.That was the Fortunoff Mall in Westbury and as you indicated it was nearly empty.

However,my daughters were in Roosevelt Field two weeks ago to shop at Nordstrom’s and they said the store was crowded.

Roosevelt Field is the only mall on Long Island doing business. I also worked in that mall in 2010 to 2012. A lot of their traffic comes from Queens as well as from Nassau and Suffolk county. It's the largest mall on Long Island and has all high end stores. I avoid it like the plague. During Christmas it took me 45 minutes just to get to the Meadowbrook Parkway that has an exit/entrance at the mall.  I haven't been back in years. I shop online 98% of the time. I work in a store so I don't want to spend my free time shopping. It's too fast and too easy to buy online if you don't need it immediately. 

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have been banking and shopping online for at least 20 yrs. Video Dr visits only started last year and was a huge success. My wife was setting up appointments for people in their 80's who had little technology skills and were afraid at first. Now they don't want to go to the office and prefer the appointment be on an iPad.

I had one video doctor appointment and hated it.Nothing to do with age .I could just as easily had a regular phone conversation.My thinking is that whenever the pandemic ends video visits will still exist.As long as my wife is physically able to get me to a doctor that is the only way I will desire to go.I do not believe my opinion will change as I age.

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Roosevelt Field is the only mall on Long Island doing business. I also worked in that mall in 2010 to 2012. A lot of their traffic comes from Queens as well as from Nassau and Suffolk county. It's the largest mall on Long Island and has all high end stores. I avoid it like the plague. During Christmas it took me 45 minutes just to get to the Meadowbrook Parkway that has an exit/entrance at the mall.  I haven't been back in years. I shop online 98% of the time. I work in a store so I don't want to spend my free time shopping. It's too fast and too easy to buy online if you don't need it immediately. 

They get the Queens shoppers because the Atlas Mall closed and the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream and Kings Plaza in Brooklyn are not the same as they were years ago.

When we lived in Brooklyn we went to the Walt Whitman Mall often.Since moving to LI we have only been there once.

• Like 1

I had one video doctor appointment and hated it.Nothing to do with age .I could just as easily had a regular phone conversation.My thinking is that whenever the pandemic ends video visits will still exist.As long as my wife is physically able to get me to a doctor that is the only way I will desire to go.I do not believe my opinion will change as I age.

My mother needs to take an Ambulette when the Dr needs to examine her. The video visits have been a lifesaver because my father of brother can be on the call with her and interpret what the Dr is saying. My mother is hard of hearing and a lot of what the Dr says is beyond here pay grade as well. They have been monitoring her blood pressure and heart rate via WiFi as well. 

This week Amazon's stock took a big hit on disappointing sales.  Analysts blamed it on the reopening with business shifting back to brick and mortar stores.  Etsy, Wayfair and other online outfits also fell.  For many items online is great but for categories like clothing it's nice to be able to touch the merchandise before buying. 

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

My mother needs to take an Ambulette when the Dr needs to examine her. The video visits have been a lifesaver because my father of brother can be on the call with her and interpret what the Dr is saying. My mother is hard of hearing and a lot of what the Dr says is beyond here pay grade as well. They have been monitoring her blood pressure and heart rate via WiFi as well. 

That is fine for her.I am only speaking for myself .I do not need anyone to interpret medical terminology .

• Like 1