Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

11 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

We have sailed many, many cruises and with the Medallian it looks like there is no need for priority boarding.

Sorry, but I disagree.  If you have sailed many cruises, you must be Platinum if not Elite.  Surely, you will recall the days of checking in early at the terminal and then waiting in groups until general boarding opened.  This situation will return once social distancing for Covid-19 goes away.

Many folks want to get on board early to start their vacation and get settled in before lunch.  Some of those also want to book highly popular items such as special dinners like Chef's Table, a ship tour, Sanctuary (depending on voyage).  In order to have success or a high chance of being selected, you have to be among the first on board.  This has always been a perk for Suites/Elites/Platinums.  Suites & Elites went on board first.  We should have the opportunity to select the earliest Arrival Group - if that is what is desired (or whatever other group).  When Princess again opens up terminals for early check-in and we have to wait for boarding to open, I expect they will group guests accordingly and release us to board as they did before.

I disagree, we are over 400 days and have never boarded early to run and book so called “popular items” and make sure we make lunch in the dining room.  We are on vacation and board at our leisure with no stress involved.   We have done Chefs dinners, wine dinners and ships tours without priority boarding.  We usually 15 day or longer cruises. . I would much rather see new cruisers be on an even playing field for booking activities. 
Hopefully the assigned boarding times will continue and be enforced.

20 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

I disagree, we are over 400 days and have never boarded early to run and book so called “popular items” and make sure we make lunch in the dining room.  We are on vacation and board at our leisure with no stress involved.   We have done Chefs dinners, wine dinners and ships tours without priority boarding.  We usually 15 day or longer cruises. . I would much rather see new cruisers be on an even playing field for booking activities. 
Hopefully the assigned boarding times will continue and be enforced.

Fine.  Suit yourself and cruise your way.  You guys can select a later Arrival Group.  I do know one of the truly hard-to-impossible ones to get late would be Sanctuary in the Caribbean, especially for sea days. 

The boarding times are only assigned if one fails to select an Arrival Group.

Wondering why you seem emphatic about enforcement? 

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Fine.  Suit yourself and cruise your way.  You guys can select a later Arrival Group.  I do know one of the truly hard-to-impossible ones to get late would be Sanctuary in the Caribbean, especially for sea days. 

Wondering why you seem emphatic about enforcement? 

Maybe assigned was the wrong word, selected is what you chose.
If you select a time you should board at the time, not show up because you want to rush on board,

Medallion boarding groups is not going to go away.  Every guest needs to be on an even playing field.

6 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Maybe assigned was the wrong word, selected is what you chose.
If you select a time you should board at the time, not show up because you want to rush on board,

Medallion boarding groups is not going to go away.  Every guest needs to be on an even playing field.

Yes, they do plan on keeping Arrival Groups in the post-Covid return to normal life.  However, they have the option to schedule earlier times and to enlarge or shrink the number of guests allowed to select each Group.  So, things will likely return to what we were used to before - you will have people who have time slots that will be earlier than general boarding and we will be waiting in the terminals as we did in 2019.  Then, they will call Suites & Elites, etc. 

I don't book Suites and I cannot begrudge a perk for all the money paid that they get to board ahead of others.  I most certainly appreciate the Elite benefit we get to be among the first to board as well.  I had to pay my dues to get there and used to board after that group.  Now I am part of it and will avail myself of the benefit when it suits.  The playing field has never been even in that respect.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, they do plan on keeping Arrival Groups in the post-Covid return to normal life.  However, they have the option to schedule earlier times and to enlarge or shrink the number of guests allowed to select each Group.  So, things will likely return to what we were used to before - you will have people who have time slots that will be earlier than general boarding and we will be waiting in the terminals as we did in 2019.  Then, they will call Suites & Elites, etc. 

I don't book Suites and I cannot begrudge a perk for all the money paid that they get to board ahead of others.  I most certainly appreciate the Elite benefit we get to be among the first to board as well.  I had to pay my dues to get there and used to board after that group.  Now I am part of it and will avail myself of the benefit when it suits.  The playing field has never been even in that respect.

Agree, will stop posting as we are going to lose cell service on the trail from Mammoth to Tuolumne Meadows.  Four days in and all is well.

Enjoy many of your posts.  Stay safe.

• Like 1

DavidsNana,   you mentioned being a new iPhone user.  You are doing an excellent job.  Here is how you can alleviate your medallion class app issues if you have one. 

1. Open the app and click on upper left corner and sign out

2. Press and hold app until it wiggles and then delete app

3. Open app store on your phone and look for Medallion Class App

4. You should see a cloud figure in the picture; meaning at one time you downloaded it and now the app is in the cloud.  before you re-download it; scroll down to find What's New/Version History.  It will tell you how many days ago Princess updated the app.  The most current version for the iPhone is 3.1.4.  If you see that version, you can go ahead and install the app.  Once installed, sign in and you should be ready to start your adventure.  

Cheers

FYI when calling Medallion Support 844-525-0942, there is often a long hold and sometimes the music stops. I thought I had been dropped, but if you wait you will hear the 'All Agents Are Busy' message, then silence - keep holding !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We are sailing next week and the App is refusing to let us select a time, we just get an error and no one can / will help.  We have had the boarding deck by deck email and we are in the second to last group which is so frustrating. We live very close to the port and like to board early as we have no travelling to do and hate hanging around.  Our allotted time is 3 hours later than we wanted, we are Platinum and this makes no difference. No doubt at some point they will fix this but when....   

2 hours ago, mike x ftc said:

We are sailing next week and the App is refusing to let us select a time, we just get an error and no one can / will help.  We have had the boarding deck by deck email and we are in the second to last group which is so frustrating. We live very close to the port and like to board early as we have no travelling to do and hate hanging around.  Our allotted time is 3 hours later than we wanted, we are Platinum and this makes no difference. No doubt at some point they will fix this but when....   

Personally, I believe with the start of ships sailing in Alaska, England, and other parts of the world Princess will see firsthand what's working with the app and what's not working.  A lot of feedback will be given in the next few months and by October, the app will get major overhaul to work out all the issues.  The Medallion Mondays on YouTube are done under controlled conditions at World Headquarters.  So, although it is nice to watch the videos and get an idea of what the medallion class app can be; for now, we all play around with it and get on cruise critic to vent frustrations.  Hang in there because help is on the way.  When will it be coming?  That's the question I do not have an answer to.  Cheers and have a great cruise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Also tagging @kjg46

I think I know what is going on here.  I have seen enough posts about MC App versions in Apple to know the version number of the App in Apple is not the same as the Android version.  Apple has been something like 3.1.3 - and now apparently 3.1.4.

The most recent Android update was 3.0.93241 (from 3.0.92725). 

It appears to me that those sharp-as-tacks IT folks managed to get the Android version number mixed into the last Apple update.  So either the description info in the Apple Store is wrong or the version number embedded in the MC App code is wrong. 

Suggest Apple users ping the OCEAN Team about this discrepancy.

As many times before, thank you Steelers36. Your help and observations have been invaluable to this very new smart device user.   I will definitely do that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mike x ftc said:

From other UK posters, it is apparent you have difficulties getting to the MC App team and/or OCEAN team.  If all you can get are CSR's and Sales people, you are going to be fed the daily pablum unless they will transfer your call.  If it were me and they couldn't fix me over the phone and the App not working worth a tinker's damn, I would just show up at the port early and tell them this is the time you wanted and no one would/could help and you do not want to board at 3pm or whenever.  

The deck thing is an unfortunate fall-back and is arbitrary.  If they told me I would not be able to board until mid-late afternoon, I'd find a cabin on another deck. 

This Arrival Group thing is something I am pursuing and have made Princess exec team aware that without priority access to Arrival Group, we have no priority at all.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, PROCRUISE said:

Having cruised Alaska before I know "dress up evenings" are more casual. Does it appear that dress slacks and a long sleeved, collared dress shirt is enough? We're on the August 8th departure.

Even jeans are acceptable now a days in MDR even on formal nights. We don't even take formal clothes anymore. We "dress up" one time, take pics and that's it. May not even do the photo's this time. We're just over all that stuff. To each there own.

• Like 1

Just received from Princess:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Thank you for your attention to this notification.
It's almost time for your cruise holiday! Please make sure you have:
- Downloaded the MedallionClass app to complete required check-in items.
- Completed online cruise check-in and the mandatory Health Questionnaire
(MUST be completed by each guest at least 24 hours before your cruise).
- Bring your proof of vaccination
- Selected an arrival time to the pier on the MedallionClass app. For the
health and safety of all, do not arrive prior to your assigned check-in time or you will be asked to return at the correct time. If you have not selected an arrival time please arrive at the below time:

12:30 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E
1:00 PM - Aloha and Caribe Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with A & C
2:15 PM - Marina and Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with M & R
3:00 PM - Baja and Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L

10 minutes ago, Earplug said:

Just received from Princess:

IMPORTANT NOTICES

Thank you for your attention to this notification.
It's almost time for your cruise holiday! Please make sure you have:
- Downloaded the MedallionClass app to complete required check-in items.
- Completed online cruise check-in and the mandatory Health Questionnaire
(MUST be completed by each guest at least 24 hours before your cruise).
- Bring your proof of vaccination
- Selected an arrival time to the pier on the MedallionClass app. For the
health and safety of all, do not arrive prior to your assigned check-in time or you will be asked to return at the correct time. If you have not selected an arrival time please arrive at the below time:

12:30 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E
1:00 PM - Aloha and Caribe Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with A & C
2:15 PM - Marina and Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with M & R
3:00 PM - Baja and Lido Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & L

Yeah, we know this and are not impressed with the situation.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2021 at 6:23 AM, AF-1 said:

DavidsNana,   you mentioned being a new iPhone user.  You are doing an excellent job.  Here is how you can alleviate your medallion class app issues if you have one. 

1. Open the app and click on upper left corner and sign out

2. Press and hold app until it wiggles and then delete app

3. Open app store on your phone and look for Medallion Class App

4. You should see a cloud figure in the picture; meaning at one time you downloaded it and now the app is in the cloud.  before you re-download it; scroll down to find What's New/Version History.  It will tell you how many days ago Princess updated the app.  The most current version for the iPhone is 3.1.4.  If you see that version, you can go ahead and install the app.  Once installed, sign in and you should be ready to start your adventure.  

Cheers

Thank you AF-1.  Much appreciated.  I am in severe learning mode for sure!!  But actually as said before, having fun and it is expanding my realm of knowledge and hopefully my brain!  

1 hour ago, DavidsNana said:

Thank you AF-1.  Much appreciated.  I am in severe learning mode for sure!!  But actually as said before, having fun and it is expanding my realm of knowledge and hopefully my brain!  

I do not want to contradict the detailed info that AF-1 provided, but I do think a simple Update from the App store would suffice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

I do not want to contradict the detailed info that AF-1 provided, but I do think a simple Update from the App store would suffice.

Thanks so much.  Very appreciative of your assistance.  But I still do not have the option of updating no matter what I do.  I have followed everyone's instructions to the letter and still no "update" option.  Like I said to Steelers36, I will call the support number.  Someone, don't remember who said that they feel that no matter what my version says in settings, that I probably have the current version 3.1.4.  So maybe that is so.  I do know that I have all green checks except for arrival time which won't be for quite some time since my cruise isn't until end of Feb so I am not too concerned at this point.

As I read the Live from thread for the July 25 Alaska cruise, I am really getting excited to be on a ship again and who knows I might just book myself on an earlier sailing even if I have to go solo.  Time will tell.  Thanks again for all your help.  I will keep following along with everyone's posts for more info as it becomes available.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:03 PM, jwattle said:

Yes, we are green lane on or March 2022 and November 2023 already

Yep, I just set it up on DW's phone, and she shows Green Lane. I'm still waiting to get my passport back from the State Dept - I requested expedited and we're not sailing 'til 12/11 (Majestic to Mexico), so I should be OK - but it looks like that's the only thing keeping me in Blue Lane. Fingers crossed.

Edited by barrykel
  • Like 1

From the way things look lately I don't really think cruises will be going by this fall  season if they begin restricting people once again.

They'll no need for the MC app after all.

Maybe it'll give them some additional time to repair the app.

555, I think the company who manages the medallion app software is continuously updating the app.  Most of the time we think the app is crap or doesn't work properly; that doesn't stop them from tweaking the app.   Companies that have their app on smartphones update all the time.

Apologizing in advance for not reading thru the previous 23 pages of this thread or the numerous pages on the other thread(s) on this topic and also if this question has been asked but is there one central place I can go to that has a User Guide for the Medallion App or is there a Medallion App For Dummies out there somewhere I can download?  

We aren't booked to cruise until 1/2022 but it seems inevitable that we are going to have to have and use the Medallion App and whilst I have downloaded it to my phone I freely admit I find it a tad confusing and mostly intimidating at this point and would just like to have something I could read that explains the damn thing and talks me through the steps of what needs doing with it.

Thanks