Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

22 hours ago, West Coast Gal said:

I too could not get it to work on the phone app and like cltnccruisers, I am showing green anyway

When are you all sailing?  Is it possible link booking won't work until it's really close to embarkation day?

On 3/30/2022 at 6:08 AM, cltnccruisers said:

The only other app I've used is Celebrity pre-covid.  As I recall it wasn't nearly as ambitious as Medallion so didn't have so many chances to mess up.  It was informational - I don't remember having to use it for setup.  Guess I'll find out more the closer we get to our TA in Oct, 2023.

HAL's Navigator app was a nightmare too, but nothing like this.  HAL ships are less high tech compared to Princess, a lot less, the app was only good for very basic functions and the check in process.  

Just off the Sky (3/28) and this was our first and last Princess cruise....Just wanted to pass along to all of you that are fretting over the Medallion app to not worry about it...It did not seem to matter at check in whether you had it or not or what you color code was....Also, onboard, we only used the medallion to open our door (which it sometimes takes longer or sometimes seems to leave the door unlocked long before you approach).  Anytime we ordered a drink the waiter just asks for your room number.  It is useful in holding up the line to make sure you scan it and in the dining room it keeps you from going right to a pre-assigned table.  

Good luck to all of you with it but we are not interested in anything to do with Medallion and Princess for now...

• Thanks 1

Has anyone recently tried to make a dining reservation with the app? We just tried to edit one we had for Sat and no matter what time we used it wouldn't let us select the time. I would like to think it's the app just being finicky opposed to every time slot being full.😜 (this is our second cruise since the return of sailing , we have android phones and had no issues choosing dining until now)

thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, runner2013 said:

Has anyone recently tried to make a dining reservation with the app? We just tried to edit one we had for Sat and no matter what time we used it wouldn't let us select the time. I would like to think it's the app just being finicky opposed to every time slot being full.😜 (this is our second cruise since the return of sailing , we have android phones and had no issues choosing dining until now)

thanks

The dining rsvp worked for me.  But it's for mdr, we're not into the specialty restaurants, although maybe we should look into it since they always sell out.

3 hours ago, runner2013 said:

Has anyone recently tried to make a dining reservation with the app?

I looked at making reservations today but didn't follow through. I was surprised to find that it offered 3 dining rooms and also offered a table for 2 or shared tables. It also showed the couple we had linked as "travel companions" and let me either make reservations including them or for just the two of us. I'm not saying it would have worked had I gone farther but it was definitely giving me options that others have said they didn't see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

I looked at making reservations today but didn't follow through. I was surprised to find that it offered 3 dining rooms and also offered a table for 2 or shared tables. It also showed the couple we had linked as "travel companions" and let me either make reservations including them or for just the two of us. I'm not saying it would have worked had I gone farther but it was definitely giving me options that others have said they didn't see.

When is your trip again?  It's Alaska in May I think??  Interesting to see all 3 DR's on offer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Having just gotten off the Emerald, I will say that the app is mostly terrible.  The only feature I got to to work reliably was the Locate Shipmates.  Nothing else seemed to work consistectly, and the app continued to lock up repeatedly. 

Even with Locate Shipmates we had a slight problem.  When I initially would try to find anyone it would show them in their cabin.  Then I would refresh it and the app would show where they really were.

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

When is your trip again?  It's Alaska in May I think??  Interesting to see all 3 DR's on offer.

Yes, May 2nd on Royal Princess. We should be the first passengers on that ship since the shutdown.

42 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

So a month away now approx.  Do you recall when extra DR's came available in DMW.

No idea. I haven't even looked at DMW for a very long time. I've sent a note to our Canadian friends who are also on this cruise asking if they would like me to try to get a table for 4 at 5:40 PM. I'm under the impression that their TA is absolutely clueless and am afraid they were told they can have Traditional Dining and have booked early dining. I've told them a few times that it is all done in the app now but they don't have smart phones, don't want smart phones, and don't need smart phones. If their TA really is giving them bad info they are a really poor TA.

I went ahead and booked the table for 2 in Symphony dining room on Deck5 for the 5:40 PM every night. I have the option to select our friends because I originally entered their booking number as Traveling Companions so, if they want me to add them, I will have to cancel my reservations and make a new reservation for 4 people. 

The app is working fine on my phone. It's a Samsung Galaxy S10e. It's the 256GB model so it has 8GB of RAM rather than the 6GB that comes in the 128GB model. (Costco was out of the 128GB model and I wanted their sale price - vastly lower than the Verizon price - so I went for the 256GB model.)

Of course having the app appear to function well on my phone is no guarantee that any reservations I may appear to be able to make will actually pan out once aboard the ship.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

No idea. I haven't even looked at DMW for a very long time. I've sent a note to our Canadian friends who are also on this cruise asking if they would like me to try to get a table for 4 at 5:40 PM. I'm under the impression that their TA is absolutely clueless and am afraid they were told they can have Traditional Dining and have booked early dining. I've told them a few times that it is all done in the app now but they don't have smart phones, don't want smart phones, and don't need smart phones. If their TA really is giving them bad info they are a really poor TA.

I went ahead and booked the table for 2 in Symphony dining room on Deck5 for the 5:40 PM every night. I have the option to select our friends because I originally entered their booking number as Traveling Companions so, if they want me to add them, I will have to cancel my reservations and make a new reservation for 4 people. 

The app is working fine on my phone. It's a Samsung Galaxy S10e. It's the 256GB model so it has 8GB of RAM rather than the 6GB that comes in the 128GB model. (Costco was out of the 128GB model and I wanted their sale price - vastly lower than the Verizon price - so I went for the 256GB model.)

Of course having the app appear to function well on my phone is no guarantee that any reservations I may appear to be able to make will actually pan out once aboard the ship.

Thanks.  You can add them in a res search and then try the booking without deleting what you have first.  If you book for four at least you are covered even if one couple heads off to do something else one evening.

Medallions for Canadians

Any Canadians with upcoming cruises able to sort out the delivery of their medallion?  It’s the one thing I can’t get completed (other than testing results) for my May 28 cruise on the Royal.  The app says that pickup at the terminal is “not available” but home delivery is still not available in Canada,  

Don from Halifax

20 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

We were offered 2 dining rooms, one of which was the one we wanted as it was closest to our stateroom, so all is good there.  We got the late seating time we desire (after 8:00) and we got an accessible table for 2.  

But I will say this, cruising was once marketed as an easy, climb aboard, and forget about all your troubles type of vacation, and it's been anything but for the last couple of them, part of it is covid and a good extent of that is beyond their control.  But these apps taking the place of real people, the desire to move to a business model of nothing but large ships, the elimination of traditional dining, the nickel and diming, and the removal of just about every type of pampering there was and transferred it to the Haven, the Retreat, and the Yacht Club are all things driving people away from it.  Really surprised more of them haven't folded by now.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Friends responded to my email and asked me to please try to add them to the dining reservation. I went back into the app, chose DMW, and selected the 4 of us. It warned me that I would be overwriting my previous reservations and I said that was okay. Booked the 4 of us every night at 5:40 PM in Symphony Dining Room. Whether it will actually work as advertised once on the ship is yet to be seen but the reservation process was simple and flawless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alfieisgod said:

Medallions for Canadians

Any Canadians with upcoming cruises able to sort out the delivery of their medallion?  It’s the one thing I can’t get completed (other than testing results) for my May 28 cruise on the Royal.  The app says that pickup at the terminal is “not available” but home delivery is still not available in Canada,  

Don from Halifax

I have not touched the Medallion order section for some time now and it completed fine for me to be shipped to terminal in Italy.  Yes, still no Canadian delivery (just ridiculous IMO).  Apparently, they were close to adding this when Covid hit (of course, I had been told a couple of times prior to that delivery to Canada was "coming soon").  Last time we cruised (pre-Covid), I shipped Medallions to our hotel in FLL.  With a Europe departure, we have no choice other than the port.

Anyway, I canceled our order in order to play with it, not expecting any issues.  Well, OUCH!  Now I cannot finalize a new order.  Oh well, some other time I suppose it will work.  I was unable to finalize just tonight even if I attempted to ship to a US address.

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Anyway, I canceled our order in order to play with it, not expecting any issues.  Well, OUCH!  Now I cannot finalize a new order.  Oh well, some other time I suppose it will work.  I was unable to finalize just tonight even if I attempted to ship to a US address.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the Princess web site is currently down. There was a notice up earlier that it would be down this evening. Can't remember the hours but might have been 8:30 PM - 9:30 PM. If you log into the site and try to access anything you get this:

image.png.e26549dd4fcb3242e2b904c485aa36be.png

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that the Princess web site is currently down. There was a notice up earlier that it would be down this evening. Can't remember the hours but might have been 8:30 PM - 9:30 PM. If you log into the site and try to access anything you get this:

Well, there you go - it's Sunday night.  I was only on MC App and no notices there about system maintenance or outages.  Thanks for heads up as I had not gone to website quite yet.  I will try again tomorrow or next day.  I never had an issue with Medallion order process before. 

Edited by Steelers36