Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

1 hour ago, royalcruz said:

Me too! I tried entering the numbers by hand, by copy and paste, by Google, on the app, on the PC....nothing works! The card doesn't expire for a few years and is active and working. I think it's a glitch because it's a card that I had put in through the app, then removed, then tried to put it back in. So for now I have to use a different card to book specialty dining. It better get fixed before final payment time in September because this is the card that gives me travel protection! If not, I'll have to cancel. 

For FP, you can give Princess or your TA any credit card to pay.  They don't have to use the one in the App (in fact it certainly is not used for that if using a TA). 

At check-in, you can present any valid credit card to use for on-board charges.  

The number I use in the app and also for paying for the cruise isn't even a "real" credit card number. Capital One lets me generate "virtual" numbers that are linked to my actual card. I don't have to put my real number into anything. I have a virtual number that is linked to my real card and is only usable for Princess. Pretty much anything I purchase online is paid for with a number that works only for that specific site. Amazon, Costco (online), Holiday Inn, Netflix, Papa Murphy's Pizza, United Airlines, etc. all have their own numbers. May sound weird but I don't have to trust my actual card number to online sites.

• Like 1

If you are going to have an app that shows you what is going on then make sure it is accurate and UPDATED!

On the Royal this past week, I saw a few errors on the app

• Times were inaccurate (e.g. Lightyear was the movie on MUTS.  I'm pretty sure it is longer than 45 minutes but it was listed as 45 minutes
  • A bean bag toss was scheduled for 10:30.  Watercolor painting was also advertised (twice) for the same day from 9 to 4. Crew chat was useless -  was disconnected after the guy type something along the lines of "we're here to help you"
  • A sale at one of the stores was cancelled. Do you think someone could have updated the app?

The app is not quite ready for prime time!

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

For FP, you can give Princess or your TA any credit card to pay.  They don't have to use the one in the App (in fact it certainly is not used for that if using a TA). 

At check-in, you can present any valid credit card to use for on-board charges.  

Yes thank you I know this. I'm just afraid that Princess's system won't accept this card to pay my fare if it believes the number is invalid. Also, I get more points on travel purchases on this particular card, so I'm missing out even on pre-travel purchases. I use this particular card for everything travel. I have some steps to take this week to see if it can be sorted out. If needed I'm sure I can get a new card issued with a new number, but that is so inconvenient because I'd have to reset up all my autopays. 

38 minutes ago, royalcruz said:

Yes thank you I know this. I'm just afraid that Princess's system won't accept this card to pay my fare if it believes the number is invalid. Also, I get more points on travel purchases on this particular card, so I'm missing out even on pre-travel purchases. I use this particular card for everything travel. I have some steps to take this week to see if it can be sorted out. If needed I'm sure I can get a new card issued with a new number, but that is so inconvenient because I'd have to reset up all my autopays. 

I was hoping to assure you that jusf becausee a buggy App won't accept your credit card, it doesn't mean it won't work as expected to pay the cruise fare.

Why not call your TA or Princess and say you want to make $500 payment to balance and see how it goes.  Peace of mind.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

We're green on the app and can access everything except personal information. Check-in sign up came out today, but whenever I try to access Personal Information to get there (on app or website), I get "Unfortunately, there seems to be an issue with the service. Try again later." I have tried deleting and re-installing app (Apple), but nothing works. Any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, flhokie said:

We're green on the app and can access everything except personal information. Check-in sign up came out today, but whenever I try to access Personal Information to get there (on app or website), I get "Unfortunately, there seems to be an issue with the service. Try again later." I have tried deleting and re-installing app (Apple), but nothing works. Any suggestions?

Is it possible that the system is overwhelmed because it's the first day to check in?  Last fall when I was dealing with this horrible app, I'd just keep banging around, day after day, week after week, until it one day would miraculously behave.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Is it possible that the system is overwhelmed because it's the first day to check in?  Last fall when I was dealing with this horrible app, I'd just keep banging around, day after day, week after week, until it one day would miraculously behave.  

Incidentally, this was the exact same approach taken by my parents when raising me. One day, I, too, miraculously started to behave!!! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The Experience:  I am 5 days have been driving myself nuts, in green lane but without a group number.

The Final realization:  If You are travel ready don't worry, You will get on the ship, just pick a reasonable time to go.

The final Outcome:  I tried today and everything is fine have a time, group number and QR code.

I really think Princess is short staffed and busy with elite and higher levels than I am.

The bottom line is it is frustrating but don't let it get to You,  You  paid for Your cruise and You will get on the ship!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seaworthy71 said:

The Experience:  I am 5 days have been driving myself nuts, in green lane but without a group number.

The Final realization:  If You are travel ready don't worry, You will get on the ship, just pick a reasonable time to go.

The final Outcome:  I tried today and everything is fine have a time, group number and QR code.

I really think Princess is short staffed and busy with elite and higher levels than I am.

The bottom line is it is frustrating but don't let it get to You,  You  paid for Your cruise and You will get on the ship!!

Will definitely try to do this! I've tried all day. We've been green for over a month, but tonight we're blue and I can't even access my personal information. Princess chat said to tray again in 30 days (we are 59 days out from sailing)....yes, that was their answer to try again in 30 days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seaworthy71 said:

I totally agree.....but part of the experience is wanting to be able to play around on the app and the website with ease....check on your booking. Add some extra OBC. Schedule a spa treatment. Look at the excursions again to be sure you've chosen the most suitable one for the port. You pay $12K for a vacation and get an app and website that is a bust. Princess may be short staffed....but they seem to have dropped their IT department which is a big mistake in this day and age.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, flhokie said:

Will definitely try to do this! I've tried all day. We've been green for over a month, but tonight we're blue and I can't even access my personal information. Princess chat said to tray again in 30 days (we are 59 days out from sailing)....yes, that was their answer to try again in 30 days. 

I could not do anything on the app, til 4 days before sailing, Did You try signing in with booking number and date of birth,  another option is on my iphone I went to setting to general to iphone storage to Princess app  to offloaded app ( Do not lose. your data) then reinstall app ( this will  update the app).   I wish I could be of more assistance, sometimes these apps get corrupted and software will not work properly. I would also try the web app on princess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seaworthy71 said:

(Do not lose. your data) then reinstall app ( this will  update the app). 

There really isn't much data to be concerned about on your device.  Just name/pswd if that is being remembered.  All of the significant data is stored on Princess servers.

• Like 2

3 days so far...

Trying to sign in with booking number. "Your information does not match our records. Please try again."

Two calls to my TA, two calls to Princess, and an online chat with Princess to verify my information during the three days of trying.

Have tried this using the web version with three different browsers, and the app on the phone - same errors.

Hope they get this fixed so I can enter the required cruise documentation/passport info/etc. Cruise leaves soon.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, milogurd said:

3 days so far...

Trying to sign in with booking number. "Your information does not match our records. Please try again."

Two calls to my TA, two calls to Princess, and an online chat with Princess to verify my information during the three days of trying.

Have tried this using the web version with three different browsers, and the app on the phone - same errors.

Hope they get this fixed so I can enter the required cruise documentation/passport info/etc. Cruise leaves soon.

I would bet a dollar or two on a mis-matched birthdate or CC Member number.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I would bet a dollar or two on a mis-matched birthdate or CC Member number.

I verified birthdates and CC numbers with TA and Princess multiple times. No joy.

Sorry, no loonie or toonie for you. 🙂

Edited by milogurd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

So apparently I’m not the only one who can’t get on to the website or app.  My cruise isn’t until Sept., but I’d like to do some things if possible. 

I agree......the app is part of the experience leading up to the vacation. FIX IT!!!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HiCCCs said:

I agree......the app is part of the experience leading up to the vacation. FIX IT!!!!!

I agree with you. 

I am a technology fan. That said, the way technology is being used by companies like Princess is not good.  

Things I didn't like about the app

• Does not update events.  One activity was cancelled.  The app never updated this
  • Why not give a real description to each activity listed?  
  • "Bookmark" an activity?  Why not "attending"?
  • For the technologically challenged, the app is not very intuitive
  • The app may be useable on a tablet but I didn't have any luck on my Kindle Fire 10
  • Have a search feature
  • It would have been nice if Royal Princess had made a PDF of the Patter (NOT the crap called Princess Events List).  In the four pages (like "back in the day") would be a list of events, a bio of the officer of the day, and, on the last day, a summary of the cruise.

It's not all doom-and-gloom.  I did like that when the Journey was opened, it showed current (or near current) activities.  For example, at 3, it would show activities starting at 3 and later.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 8:53 AM, Thrak said:

Initially I also had bad data conversion issues. I sent a note to the Medallion folks and they responded by asking me to provide the following information:

Full Name on Reservation:

Booking Number:

Device Type being used when accessing the MedallionClass app:

Operating System on Device:

I responded with the requested info and, after a short time, things worked for me. That was back in June of 2021. I have had a couple of very minor glitches since then but they have all sorted themselves out pretty quickly.

How in the world did you get the Medallion folks to respond? 

I sent an email to the "ocean" folks describing bugs and not a word back. I found some bad bugs involving it not accepting passport information correctly which it used to do okay a year ago. I found a few other anomalies as well in the travel documents part.

I am amused with the developers lack of knowledge of geography, nations and nationalities. They really need to get a subject matter expert to work with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brisalta said:

How in the world did you get the Medallion folks to respond? 

I sent an email to the "ocean" folks describing bugs and not a word back. I found some bad bugs involving it not accepting passport information correctly which it used to do okay a year ago. I found a few other anomalies as well in the travel documents part.

I am amused with the developers lack of knowledge of geography, nations and nationalities. They really need to get a subject matter expert to work with.

I agree whole heartedly.....and there are plenty of subject matter experts aboard CruiseCritic who would gladly assist!!!

I just booked and downloaded the app.  I am 74 days from sailing.  If there are things I cannot figure out on the app, can I just do the rest at check-in?  For example, I cannot seem to link my booking to my two other cabins with my minor children, but I want to be able to "see" their medallions on the ship.  Also, I have a minor child in an adjoining cabin.  I can't log him in at all or even see his booking.  Thanks.  

Edited by theloo

1 hour ago, theloo said:

I just booked and downloaded the app.  I am 74 days from sailing.  If there are things I cannot figure out on the app, can I just do the rest at check-in?  For example, I cannot seem to link my booking to my two other cabins with my minor children, but I want to be able to "see" their medallions on the ship.  Also, I have a minor child in an adjoining cabin.  I can't log him in at all or even see his booking.  Thanks.  

Did you find the Travel Companions section/page in the App?  That is where you can link up the others.

Also, your TA or Princess rep should have cross-referenced all three bookings in the reservation system.

If you don't have an adult on the booking, other posters have indicated and seems confirmed you cannot get in.  I am not sure if Princess has a work-around, but you can call in and select the phone tree option for help getting Ocean Ready.

Once you board ship, visit Guest Services to get your Medallion programmed to access the other cabins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theloo said:

Who is the adult in the minors cabin ?  They should have access 

• Like 1