Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

On 8/21/2023 at 3:50 PM, capriccio said:

It depends on where you are traveling.  Check out the State Department's website (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html) for details. Cruise lines can set their own requirements, as long as they equal or exceed those set by the State Department and the countries being visited. 

I have checked out the State Department’s website. We are good according to them but Princess website, no doubt older than dirt, claims a book is required. Hence my question. 

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm not sure what terms to use for a search.

I'm cruising with a friend, sharing a cabin.  Can we each/both enter in information on the app to get ocean ready when we only have a single booking number?

32 minutes ago, theloo said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm not sure what terms to use for a search.

I'm cruising with a friend, sharing a cabin.  Can we each/both enter in information on the app to get ocean ready when we only have a single booking number?

Yes. You will be able to log on to the app separately. Either one of you can log on and enter information for both of you. If one person enters all of the information, then the other one does not need to log on.

The same applies to the Cruise Personalizer webpage. Either one of you can log on and purchase excursions or do other transactions for both of you.

• Thanks 2

Recent app update appears to have fixed bug which stopped me booking my 2 included speciality dining without charging my credit card. Just in time as departure only 5 days away. Still doesn't recognise my package but it'll be already on the night I'm sure.

Edited by killaypirate
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Cruisenewbie20181

I am having medallion shipped to home. So when we arrive at the port does it connect to Wi-Fi automatically or do I need to connect to Wi-Fi at the port on my phone and activate the medallion thru the app?

23 minutes ago, Cruisenewbie20181 said:

I am having medallion shipped to home. So when we arrive at the port does it connect to Wi-Fi automatically or do I need to connect to Wi-Fi at the port on my phone and activate the medallion thru the app?

You don’t need the app for the medallion to work. You connect to Wi-Fi once on board if you choose to use Wi-Fi 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, memoak said:

You don’t need the app for the medallion to work. You connect to Wi-Fi once on board if you choose to use Wi-Fi 

Guests, including @Cruisenewbie20181 connect to ship's Wifi in order to use the Medallion App OR to connect to the Internet using Medallion Net (free with Plus or Premier Fare Package for a single device per person) or for a flat fee per day unlimited usage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruisenewbie20181 said:

You don't "activate" the Medallion. It's a passive device that is read by tech on the ship. It contains nothing but a unique identifier. It works using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Near Field Communication (NFC). You don't have to do anything at all for it to work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You don't "activate" the Medallion. It's a passive device that is read by tech on the ship. It contains nothing but a unique identifier. It works using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Near Field Communication (NFC). You don't have to do anything at all for it to work.

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and Near Field Communication (NFC)
Thanks!  I wanted to get a better understanding, but couldn't find anything technical online.  Your answer satisfied me about the Medallion, now I'll see what I can find out about the App and if it has any privacy/security protocols above that of normal WiFi.
(I spent way too much time in IT Security!  My default is distrust.)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, otang said:

Does each person need his/her app or is one person able to use the app for other travelers on the same booking? Right now, there is only a QR code under my name but not for my husband.

I do everything for both of us on my phone. My wife has zero interest in messing with the app if she doesn't have to and it works just fine if I do it all.

As for the QR code: Ignore it. It doesn't matter. Your life will be much easier if you simply fail to stress over the stupid piece of absolute garbage app. The barcode "may" have been relevant at one time but today it is without substance or value. The app will likely work fine once you are onboard. The pre-boarding stuff is a nightmare for some folks. (It works fine for me before boarding but a lot of people say it doesn't work fine for them until they get on the ship.)

Seriously. Take your documents with you to the port like you used to do. Everything will be fine.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I do everything for both of us on my phone. My wife has zero interest in messing with the app if she doesn't have to and it works just fine if I do it all.

As for the QR code: Ignore it. It doesn't matter. Your life will be much easier if you simply fail to stress over the stupid piece of absolute garbage app. The barcode "may" have been relevant at one time but today it is without substance or value. The app will likely work fine once you are onboard. The pre-boarding stuff is a nightmare for some folks. (It works fine for me before boarding but a lot of people say it doesn't work fine for them until they get on the ship.)

Seriously. Take your documents with you to the port like you used to do. Everything will be fine.

Thanks! 🙂

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

It becomes even more of a passive device when the battery stops working!! 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

On 9/5/2023 at 11:51 PM, Thrak said:

Spot on.  Take the old school approach, ditch the app, and just show up.  The app seems to only complicate what should be an easy process all in the name of whiz bang technology.  

I have an upcoming cruise on Viking and then a Princess cruise a few weeks after that one.  No wonky app for Viking.  Just show up with my paperwork.  They even sent me sturdy luggage tags.

• Like 5

So we haven't cruised Princess in years.  Went in today to "register" on the app and found my old login,etc. I have downloaded the Medallion app to my iPhone so will get on with that in the net days, or whenever it lets me complete........ But since I'm not at final payment and booked third party, there is no reservation at Princess yet.  How can I reserve dining at this point?  If no one can reserve till final payment (90 days), won't there be a stampede of people on day 90 trying to det dinner times?  Thanks!

14 minutes ago, M5M said:

So we haven't cruised Princess in years.  Went in today to "register" on the app and found my old login,etc. I have downloaded the Medallion app to my iPhone so will get on with that in the net days, or whenever it lets me complete........ But since I'm not at final payment and booked third party, there is no reservation at Princess yet.  How can I reserve dining at this point?  If no one can reserve till final payment (90 days), won't there be a stampede of people on day 90 trying to get dinner times?  Thanks!

If you are not Platinum or Elite level in Captain's Circle, then supposedly you cannot use Dine My Way (DMW) to book dining until after you have made your Final Payment (you can pay early of course).  That said, some folks have reported being able to make reservations in DMW who have not made FP and who are below Platinum level.  Personally, IDK if this is a system bug or if Princess has quietly modified their policy (but I do think some folks have also posted not being able to make a res, but it is hard to tell if they have run into one of the countless system bug-a-boos or if they are being stopped due to not qualified. 

In theory, there could be a lot of guests trying to make DMW bookings around FP Date, but I don't see it happening all on one day because TA's are often after guests to get payment in early so it gets posted on time and even those booked directly with PCL may provide payment a few days early.  So it will be spread out a bit.

It can take a couple of days for a new booking to appear in the App.  But it should - just keep checking.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, M5M said:

So we haven't cruised Princess in years.  Went in today to "register" on the app and found my old login,etc. I have downloaded the Medallion app to my iPhone so will get on with that in the net days, or whenever it lets me complete........ But since I'm not at final payment and booked third party, there is no reservation at Princess yet.  How can I reserve dining at this point?  If no one can reserve till final payment (90 days), won't there be a stampede of people on day 90 trying to det dinner times?  Thanks!

I don't know what you mean by "there is no reservation at Princess yet." Do you mean that you can't find it on the app or that you can't find it on the Cruise Personalizer? By "booked third party", do you mean you booked through a travel agent? The cruise may not be associated with your login, but you should be able to claim it by using your name, date of birth, and booking id. It it's not there, then you need to talk with your "third party" to verify if they have actually booked your cruise.

• Like 3

I was just on the Emerald Princess in Boston.

The Medallion is pretty cool. The app navigated me on each deck. 

If you link your Friends or Family members, you can actually SEE where they are on the ship.

Pretty much anywhere you are on the ship you can use the App, OceanNow Delivery. Order a burger, Fries and a Beer and they will find you and bring it to you. If you get Princess PLUS, OceanNow is Free Delivery. Otherwise there is a nominal one-time access fee of $14.99 per person that gets applied to the first order.

When you walk close to your stateroom, the door unlocks.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RenieRaider said:

I was just on the Emerald Princess in Boston.

The Medallion is pretty cool. The app navigated me on each deck. 

If you link your Friends or Family members, you can actually SEE where they are on the ship.

Pretty much anywhere you are on the ship you can use the App, OceanNow Delivery. Order a burger, Fries and a Beer and they will find you and bring it to you. If you get Princess PLUS, OceanNow is Free Delivery. Otherwise there is a nominal one-time access fee of $14.99 per person that gets applied to the first order.

When you walk close to your stateroom, the door unlocks.

To avoid charges for OceanNow delivery or room service you must have the most current version of plus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1