Confusing vacc requirements in various ports

PRNole47

Flying into Vienna and just start from there came into my mind as well. Problem with going to Budapest may be that you are not allowed onto dry land which would mean just a sail-through and return.

If I as a company offered a Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary where the only problem is getting people from the US into Hungary I would try and arrange a shortened version from Vienna instead with possibly throwing in Bratislava. That is the sort of thing that companies need to be able to handle in times of flooding or drought anyway. It can be done.

notamermaid

• Like 1

My fear is that right when I'm due to arrive (mid-Sept) we're going to hit the perfect storm of:

All river cruise lines starting their full schedule (lots of people flying in at the same time).

PLUS

Each arriving country having a different protocol for vaccine proof/current negative COVID test.

• Like 2

As a US citizen, my plan includes:

• Already being fully vaccinated, and have proof of it.
  • We're going to take a COVID test 48 hours before we leave, & have proof of the negative result.
  • Fly into our final destination (Zurich) directly from the US (no connection in London/Amsterdam).
  • Arrive 2 days early.  Best case: 2 days to explore.  Worst: we have 2 days to quarantine/get another test and have a negative result before our cruise is scheduled to depart.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mapsd said:

• We're going to take a COVID test 48 hours before we leave, & have proof of the negative result.
  • Fly into our final destination (Zurich) directly from the US (no connection in London/Amsterdam).
  • Arrive 2 days early.  Best case: 2 days to explore.  Worst: we have 2 days to quarantine/get another test and have a negative result before our cruise is scheduled to depart.

If you arrive 2 days early, your test may no longer be valid for the cruise.  Depending on if you booked everything through them.

As for Budapest, it was nixxed out of my previous Danube cruise anyway because of low water.  I felt that was a pretty common thing.  I think we ended up boarding in Slovakia anyway.

Edited by SCBarker

22 hours ago, mapsd said:

The question is, where will you quarantine?  I’m not sure that a hotel is an approved quarantine location. According to the Budapest police (which is my destination), you must provide your quarantine location and if it is not a private resident, they will assign you to an approved quarantine site. Of course, Zurich may have different rules, but I’m hesitant to put myself in their designated locations for 48 hours. 

45 minutes ago, J80crew said:

The question is, where will you quarantine?  I’m not sure that a hotel is an approved quarantine location. According to the Budapest police (which is my destination), you must provide your quarantine location and if it is not a private resident, they will assign you to an approved quarantine site. Of course, Zurich may have different rules, but I’m hesitant to put myself in their designated locations for 48 hours. 

I'm going into assuming that I will not have to quarantine.

Arriving early as a hedge in case it is required, & I'll still make my cruise.

(we always arrive early anyway, but I'd rather spend it exploring a new country than exploring a hotel/dorm room!)

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Not sure what a 48 hour quarantine will help. If you have to quarantine it´s at least 10 days.

steamboats

According to the info from Hungary, you can expedite the quarantine by showing two negative tests, one taken in the US before leaving and the other taken in Hungary on arrival. But while waiting for the test results, you have to quarantine. They don’t accept the rapid test and say that test results take 24 hours, and then another 24 for the police to release you. Again, the rules are probably different elsewhere. 

8 hours ago, steamboats said:

You said you are flying to your final destination Zurich - a 48 quarantine there including a test would not help you for Budapest.

steamboats

I'm the one flying into Zurich, which doesn't have any quarantine requirement.

Proof of vaccination OR a negative within 72 hours of departure accepted.

I will have both.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hungarian Government updated its entry requirements on 21 July--it has a really high vaccination rate (so much so it's donating doses to others) and low case totals.  Since I found the guidance on the U.S. Embassy Budapest website a little confusing--saying USCs are generally not admitted to Hungary, but noting the free entry via land since 21 July 2021--I sent the American Citizen Services section an email last evening.  Here is their response in full:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

"We suggest you to read the State Department’s Travel Advisory on Hungary: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Hungary.html

"Except in the case of entry by civil aircraft, entry into Hungary from Croatia, Austria, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia and Slovenia, regardless of nationality or protection against the coronavirus, is possible without restrictions.

"Please find below the detailed information about entering Hungary right now. This is the current situation, unfortunately, we do not know what will happen in the next few weeks and months. These regulations made by the Hungarian Authorities so they can give answers to specific questions regards entering Hungary. Please note that the situation might change by the time you are ready to travel.  Please check with the Hungarian authorities right before your departure time. http://www.police.hu/en/content/information-on-general-rules-of-border-crossing

"For further questions we suggest that you contact the Hungarian Covid-19 Government office directly:  koronavirus@1818.hu  They deal with foreign language inquiries as well.

You may also call:   +36 1 550 1825

"Regarding a Hungarian citizens travel to the USA please contact the following phone number:

+36-1-701-2000

American Embassy

Citizen Services

1054 Budapest

Szabadság tér 12.

E-mail: ACS.budapest@state.gov

Here is the current State Department travel guidance on Hungary as cited in the email above and  copied from https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/hungary-travel-advisory.html:

"Level 3:  Reconsider travel to Hungary due to COVID-19-related restrictions.

"Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 1 Travel Health Notice for Hungary due to COVID-19, indicating a low level of COVID-19 in the country. There are restrictions in place affecting U.S. citizen entry into Hungary. Your risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated with an FDA authorized vaccine. Before planning any international travel, please review the CDC’s specific recommendations for fully vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers.

"Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 and related restrictions and conditions in Hungary.

"Read the country information page.

"If you decide to travel to Hungary:

See the U.S. Embassy's web page regarding COVID-19.
   -Visit the CDC’s webpage on  Travel and COVID-19.
   -Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  --Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
   --Review the Crime and Safety Report for Hungary.
    --U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information."

So, as of today--entry appears to be a "go."  But it may not be so tomorrow.  And at least one cruise line--Uniworld--has modified its itineraries out of Budapest to cancel its tours there.

Thanks for the information on Hungary.  We are planning to fly into Hungary 12/4 and spend 3 days before taking the train to Vienna to start our river cruise.  I'm hoping that we will be able to do so by then!  Will keep checking the links you provided.

Am flying out tomorrow, 9 August to Budapest. Looks like the Hungarian police have updated their website today. Not sure I understand what it is saying. Can anyone help “translate” it for me?

http://www.police.hu/en/content/information-on-general-rules-of-border-crossing

I’m vaccinated and have my original CDC vaccine card. I (will) have taken 3 PCR tests before departure: first one 4 days before my arrival, second one 3 days before arrival and the third one the day before my arrival. There is a Sunday included in there, so its not as much processing time as you might expect if Sunday is not a processing day. I used 2 different companies to diversify my supply chain (CVS and Walgreens).

I thought I saw on the police website (or somewhere) that they don’t accept the rapid test results. I’m nervous bc I’ve read that covid test results are being delayed due to a surge in testing. I HOPE at least 1 of the tests come back before I land in Budapest!

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Am flying out tomorrow, 9 August to Budapest. Looks like the Hungarian police have updated their website today. Not sure I understand what it is saying. Can anyone help “translate” it for me?

I’m vaccinated and have my original CDC vaccine card. I (will) have taken 3 PCR tests before departure: first one 4 days before my arrival, second one 3 days before arrival and the third one the day before my arrival. There is a Sunday included in there, so its not as much processing time as you might expect if Sunday is not a processing day. I used 2 different companies to diversify my supply chain (CVS and Walgreens).

I thought I saw on the police website (or somewhere) that they don’t accept the rapid test results. I’m nervous bc I’ve read that covid test results are being delayed due to a surge in testing. I HOPE at least 1 of the tests come back before I land in Budapest!

The Hungarian National Police document is confusing to say the least.  I THINK you are covered by the transit provisions at the very end of the document.  They also list telephone numbers you can call for information at the airport.  Before that, you might want to call--and email to document--Uniworld to determine if they have been notified of any changes from what they sent to you last week.

3 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Good news! I received my first test results (negative). It was taken prior to the 72-hour window, but I wanted to have something, anything on hand when I enter Budapest. Hope to receive second test results tomorrow, which would be within the  72- hour window. 

• Like 1

Since the 8/8/2021 update from the Hungarian police says anyone, regardless of their nationality and coronavirus immunity, can enter Hungary by rail, road, or waterway, I guess that's why my cruise line (Avalon) had decided to change our routing from flying into Budapest to flying into Vienna, instead,  and then transferring to Budapest by bus (a 2 and 1/2 hr drive). 

45 minutes ago, PRNole47 said:

Since the 8/8/2021 update from the Hungarian police says anyone, regardless of their nationality and coronavirus immunity, can enter Hungary by rail, road, or waterway, I guess that's why my cruise line (Avalon) had decided to change our routing from flying into Budapest to flying into Vienna, instead,  and then transferring to Budapest by bus (a 2 and 1/2 hr drive). 

That's exactly what happened to us for our recent Amawaterways cruise.  We were originally booked to fly from Newark to Munich and then to Budapest, but a week or so before leaving they changed us to flying from Newark to Vienna and then busing us to Budapest.  We were met by someone right outside of baggage claim who walked us over to a nearby hotel (5 minute walk), where we waited less than an hour for a chartered bus to take us to Budapest.  Not even slowing down at the Austria/Hungary border!  And we also had a guide on board who talked about the countryside during our bus ride.

22 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

PhD-Iva, I hope you will find time to post once you are on board. I’m sure I’m not the only one who will be waiting to hear how your entry into Budapest was handled. Thanks, and good luck!!

8 hours ago, Hbgyergers said:

...We were met by someone right outside of baggage claim who walked us over to a nearby hotel (5 minute walk), where we waited less than an hour for a chartered bus to take us to Budapest.  Not even slowing down at the Austria/Hungary border!  And we also had a guide on board who talked about the countryside during our bus ride.

Was the hotel the 'Moxy'? I've stayed there before when I had to catch a too early flight the next morning. What about Covid protocols aboard the bus?

In Budapest now. It was a breeze to pass through customs. The police only wanted to see my passport and my CDC card. They never asked for my Covid test results. I got tested three times, I think I was over thinking that part of the trip. On my way now to the ship

• Like 4

We received this email this morning from Crystal, clarifying the Hungarian entry requirements (as they exist TODAY) and what it is doing for its river cruises departing from Budapest.  Other cruise lines working on similar arrangements for their guests?

And--CONGRATULATIONS PhD-iva!!  So glad it all worked out for you--enjoy your cruise!!

Crystal

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

August 10, 2021

Regarding:

RRV211027-07 | Crystal Ravel | October 27, 2021 | 07 Nights | Budapest to Vilshofen | Delightful Danube (Westbound)

As expected, Hungary has released an update to the entry requirements of third-country (non-EU) travelers.

For Guests Arriving to Budapest via Land or Ship

Hungary is permitting unfettered access to its territory for those non-EU travelers who arrive by land transportation (bus, car or rail) or via ship. Please note: as all guests are required to undergo pre-cruise COVID19 testing, you are required to present yourself at the Crystal Check-In Center no later than 4 pm on day of embarkation. As such, should you elect to arrive into Hungary via land we strongly suggest you make arrangements to arrive early in the day.

For Guests Flying into Budapest

An interpretation of Hungary’s updated rules now permit non-Hungarian citizens arriving by air to “transit through” Hungary, without having to quarantine, so long as they are able to provide documentation (e.g. cruise ticket) that shows they will be leaving Hungary and journeying to a neighboring country on a confirmed itinerary within 24 hours of arrival. Hungarian port officials are partnering with us to familiarize airport authorities with our cruise tickets so that when you fly into Budapest your ticket will be recognized.

In addition, to facilitate the boarding of your flight to Hungary, you will receive with your cruise documents a copy of a government decree that specifically authorizes fully vaccinated Crystal River Cruises guests to board flights entering Hungary. Please note: all travelers arriving into Hungary by air must take a PCR test (with negative results written in English or Hungarian) that is not older than 72 hours prior to your arrival into Hungary. In addition, air arrivals may be subject to additional COVID19 testing at the airport by local authorities.

•  Flights Arriving on Embarkation Day
    Crystal River Cruises provides complimentary transfers between the airport and the ship on embarkation day regardless of whom you booked your airline arrangements through. At the airport you will be met by a Crystal representative who will coordinate your transfer to the Crystal River Check-In Center, located at the Ritz-Carlton hotel, for your pre-cruise COVID19 antigen test. Once you are cleared you will be transported to Crystal Ravel.

Flights Arriving Before Embarkation Day
    Due to the aforementioned 24-hour rule for in-transit guests, those who are arriving into Budapest before embarkation day for pre-cruise hotel stays are in what can be described as a “gray area” subject to the interpretation of the law. We are aware that currently airport officials are allowing cruise passengers with pre-cruise hotel stays to enter the country and proceed to their hotel, but we have also been advised that is always subject to change. As an alternative, you should consider flying into Vienna Airport (VIE) and arrange a transfer from there to your hotel in Budapest, approximately three hours away. As earlier stated, Hungary is permitting unfettered access to travelers who arrive to the country by land or ship.

Current Hungarian rules only permit a maximum 24-hour stay for in-transit guests, along with a host of other restrictions, and as such if the rules are not later amended, we will alter Crystal Ravel’s itinerary by sailing early evening on Day 1 of the cruise, adding a visit to Bratislava on Day 2 and arriving earlier in Vienna on Day 3. As the rules are in constant flux,we kindly ask for your patience as we will reserve making this decision until the week of sailing.

We would like to take this opportunity to gently remind our guests to visit our Priority Check-In and Planning Center at https://checkin.crystalcruises.com/Account/Login to complete their online check-in, as tickets are only released upon completion of check-in.

As we approach sailing, should any of the above change we will issue additional updates. It is our hope the rules will be further amended to the benefit of our guests, and their travel plans, and accordingly we are closely monitoring the situation and engaging with local officials.

Your travel advisor has also been advised of this important information and will be able to assist you should you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Crystal
Guest Services