Shareholder OBC and Excursions

suekel

Yes, since you will have a combined onboard account and the OBC will be on it.

But since you can apply for the stockholder OBC anytime after you booked the cruise, I suggest you follow trvlwrld's suggestion and book in advance to assure availability and to lock in the current pricing. You will need to call Princess to have your OBC applied to his excursion.

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Yes, since you will have a combined onboard account and the OBC will be on it.

But since you can apply for the stockholder OBC anytime after you booked the cruise, I suggest you follow trvlwrld's suggestion and book in advance to assure availability and to lock in the current pricing. You will need to call Princess to have your OBC applied to his excursion.

On our last Princess cruise (cancelled last summer), the rep refused to apply the OBC to DW. (I know I should have not completed the transaction and called and got a different rep, but there were only a few dollars (around 30 involved, and it would have got money left on my OBC would be spent on the ship anyway.)

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

On our last Princess cruise (cancelled last summer), the rep refused to apply the OBC to DW. (I know I should have not completed the transaction and called and got a different rep, but there were only a few dollars (around 30 involved, and it would have got money left on my OBC would be spent on the ship anyway.)

I had a similar experience several days ago. Did not pursue it as I am suffering from App exhaustion!

1 hour ago, suekel said:

thanks all...I'm going to wait until the supposed discount on excursions happens for elite members.  I'm hearing the end of July...Appreciate the input.  

Is this a thing? Who knew?! 
 I just booked a bunch but will cancel and rebook if a discount is offered

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 5:45 AM, ontheweb said:

I have had the same problem. Sometimes I explain their job to them and they then do it. Other times I hang up and call again.

I have veterans and shareholder credit, so that is $500 on a 14-night cruise. DW does not have either. I can't switch shareholder to her because it's in an IRA.

I normally book my excursions online and pay with my OBC, along with the few I can book and pay for DW with her smaller OBC. I then book her additional excursions online without paying and call Princess. Most Princess representatives I have talked with recently seem to be able to apply my OBC to DW's excursions with no problem, but sometimes I need to do a little explaining.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:31 AM, suekel said:

thanks all...I'm going to wait until the supposed discount on excursions happens for elite members.  I'm hearing the end of July...Appreciate the input.  

On 6/29/2021 at 10:46 AM, Jadn13 said:

There is no reason to wait - or to rebook.

The updated Captain's Circle benefits are listed here. The "10% off shore excursions" refers to footnote 12 which states the following: "Excursions booked pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund to their folio."

Note that the discount will be applied to the folio of the person booked on the excursion - no matter who paid for it pre-cruise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

I have had the same problem. Sometimes I explain their job to them and they then do it. Other times I hang up and call again.

I have veterans and shareholder credit, so that is $500 on a 14-night cruise. DW does not have either. I can't switch shareholder to her because it's in an IRA.

I normally book my excursions online and pay with my OBC, along with the few I can book and pay for DW with her smaller OBC. I then book her additional excursions online without paying and call Princess. Most Princess representatives I have talked with recently seem to be able to apply my OBC to DW's excursions with no problem, but sometimes I need to do a little explaining.

I tried to explain that people have been doing this for a long while. Her answer was that this was brand new. Again it was only over $30 or so that I knew would be spent on the ship so it was not like we were really losing any money.

7 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

There is no reason to wait - or to rebook.

The updated Captain's Circle benefits are listed here. The "10% off shore excursions" refers to footnote 12 which states the following: "Excursions booked pre-cruise will be discounted on board and the guest will receive a refund to their folio."

Note that the discount will be applied to the folio of the person booked on the excursion - no matter who paid for it pre-cruise.

And it turns out that the discount will be non-refundable OBC.

11 hours ago, caribill said:

And it turns out that the discount will be non-refundable OBC.

On my last cruise where I had paid for some shore excursions in advance (because I booked more shore excursions than I had OBC posted in advance), all of the shore excursion costs were itemized on my folio along with all of the credit card payments and all of my OBC. They didn't actually apply the OBC against the shore excursions in advance - they were listed separately on my folio.

I don't think it will matter that the discount is non-refundable OBC, because it will be applied to the cost of the shore excursions. The credit card payments that I made in advance for shore excursions are refundable, along with my veteran's OBC.

Simplified example: I have $100 in non-refundable OBC. I book a shore excursion for $200 and pay $100 by credit card. I receive $20 discount in non-refundable OBC. I have a total of $220 in OBC - $120 non-refundable and $100 (the credit card payment) refundable. They charge $200 leaving me with a credit balance of $20. Since I had $100 refundable OBC, I would receive the $20 back as a refund.

On 6/29/2021 at 8:46 AM, Jadn13 said:
On 6/29/2021 at 7:31 AM, suekel said:

👍Same here. I have to book 1 thru Princess as they aren't offering it otherwise and its a little pricey

5 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Is it better to wait to book excursions until on board the ship, so one doesn't have to deal with the non refundable OBC?  I am struggling to find a use for current OBC, and having more OBC to use will be annoying.  YMMV 

a) If you wait until on the ship, the price might be higher or there the excursions you want may be sold out.

b) I think even if booking on the ship, the result is the same. Pay full price and then get 50% back as non-refundable OBC.

6 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

On my last cruise where I had paid for some shore excursions in advance (because I booked more shore excursions than I had OBC posted in advance), all of the shore excursion costs were itemized on my folio along with all of the credit card payments and all of my OBC. They didn't actually apply the OBC against the shore excursions in advance - they were listed separately on my folio.

I don't think it will matter that the discount is non-refundable OBC, because it will be applied to the cost of the shore excursions. The credit card payments that I made in advance for shore excursions are refundable, along with my veteran's OBC.

I agree that is the way the billing did work pre-pandemic shutdown. But in the future??????

2 hours ago, caribill said:

a) If you wait until on the ship, the price might be higher or there the excursions you want may be sold out.

b) I think even if booking on the ship, the result is the same. Pay full price and then get 50% back as non-refundable OBC.

10%