Cruise Companions - is this new?

Wanna_Cruize

I noticed something new in my Cruise Details under the Booking & details section:  

YOUR CRUISE COMPANIONS

group-99-svg.ashx
SOCIAL DISTANCE WITH YOUR GROUP
Here you'll see names of all the guests that are part of your travel group. Missing someone? Go ahead and send them an invite by entering their email address below and clicking "send invitation." You'll be able to enjoy onboard entertainment events and dine with members of your Cruise Companion group.
Your Managed Guests
JT
Jxxx Txxx
MT
Mxxx Txxx
DK
Dxxx Kxxx

It's interesting, and perhaps a way to link up with others in a larger group differently than the way I have done it, by adding that booking number to my profile. Is that how they are going to identify who is traveling together? 

Has this always been around and I'm just now noticing?  

Yep, just went and looked at our October sailing and this is in mine now too... we have 3 rooms of family booked and all 6 names are coming up in our group.  I have always been able to see all 3 reservations (I am the one handling all the arrangements for all the rooms for everyone and have all 3 bookings so I can see them all together); however, this is new!  At least it got it right and shows all 6 that are in our group!

10 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I have it too and there's a place to invite companions by email. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending what happens that cruise with covid. 

Probably nice in that you will all be grouped together for dining and what not.  But then if I person tests positive, your whole crew will automatically be quarantined. 

• Like 5

Thanks for that info.  When I had gone in last February to change a person (DH cannot go) they were not showing our 4 cabins as being "connected".  She fixed it - but looking now at this, I can tell it is correct now.

1 hour ago, Houst said:

This could be a way too Identify those around you if someone in your group gets Covid19. 

I'm sure that's exactly what it's about.  Luckily we only have our adult son and daughter travelling with us on future cruises and they've both been vaccinated so hopefully none of us should test positive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ultrafighter said:

Sooooo should we do it or not?

/tinfoil hat

I wouldn't and won't.  Myself and my wife only. If we have friends sailing with us but on their own reservation????? I'm not linking them.

This is just like when HR tells you they have restructured your pay plan. You can bet it's not to your benefit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ultrafighter said:

Sooooo should we do it or not?

/tinfoil hat

Well, the letter posted above says that groups will be limited to six people, so maybe there's only so many areas that will work and linking up early is more of a guarantee of sitting together? Others have pointed out it could be used for contact tracing and yeah, maybe but you won't be quarantined once you are on board if you test negative I'd think, I also could be wrong though, lol. If it was a close friend/family member I'd probably do it. 

As someone doing a solo to Alaska 8/31, and in a FB group that seems to have quite a few solo travelers on the same cruise, this bums me out.  I know it's not written in stone, but we'd actually been tossing around the idea to have an anytime dining time that the solo cruisers could meet up if they'd like.  A no pressure, but opportunity to join others, kind of thing.  This makes it feel like that might not be allowed.  Maybe it won't be the same out of Seattle, since we're basically going to be a 100% vaxxed cruise.  They sure aren't saying much about how the Alaska cruises will go.  And too, maybe by the end of August, things will be better.  

Edited by DenaInWyo

3 hours ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

We have one cruise booked that we're now at a total of at least 8 people together, so that won't work for this, obviously. I wonder if one person can be a member of two cruise companion groups. 

That's a great question. We're a party of 10, and anticipate that varying numbers of us will want to be grouped together for different activities throughout the cruise.

1 hour ago, WildBlueYonder64 said:

That's a great question. We're a party of 10, and anticipate that varying numbers of us will want to be grouped together for different activities throughout the cruise.

If you have everyone's booking numbers, you can add them to your online account, and then look under the Booking and Order Details tab to see if they are all showing up as Cruise Companions. Right now, there are only 3 cabins actually booked for our family cruise a year from now, so I'm only seeing those 6 passengers listed, but it looks like there is more room to display more names.

• Thanks 1

One possible explanation for the cruise companion option is for fast identification of people a passenger may have had close contact in case there is an identified case of Covid on the ship.

On 6/30/2021 at 11:29 PM, DenaInWyo said:

As someone doing a solo to Alaska 8/31, and in a FB group that seems to have quite a few solo travelers on the same cruise, this bums me out.  I know it's not written in stone, but we'd actually been tossing around the idea to have an anytime dining time that the solo cruisers could meet up if they'd like.  A no pressure, but opportunity to join others, kind of thing.  This makes it feel like that might not be allowed.  Maybe it won't be the same out of Seattle, since we're basically going to be a 100% vaxxed cruise.  They sure aren't saying much about how the Alaska cruises will go.  And too, maybe by the end of August, things will be better.  

Of course it will be allowed.  

On 6/30/2021 at 1:53 PM, lazydayz said:

This will make it easier for Carnival to know who to deny initial boarding or later quarantine if any member of the group tests positive.  

On a fully Vaccinated cruise I don't see why you would need to quarantine anyone for exposier that is the whole point of the Vaccine.

4 minutes ago, Kevin308 said:

On a fully Vaccinated cruise I don't see why you would need to quarantine anyone for exposier that is the whole point of the Vaccine.

That is exactly what happened on the Celebrity ship when two people tested positive during the cruise.  Close contacts were tested and quarantined until their test results came back.  Even if vaccinated, you can still get COVID-19 and while you won't likely get very ill, you could be infecting others.  

• Like 1