Norway - Oceania vs. Viking

Eartha

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If my cabin looked like that, I would indeed spend as little time as possible in it.  But that's why I don't book on ships like that – our cabin is our private retreat and we want enough room to stretch out and enjoy it.  YMMV

I'm guessing you're ship oriented rather than off-ship. And this was an incredible experience. Only 100 pax, only two others were Americans. Wonderful Norwegian food. Incredible wood that won't be tossed when the ship is retired from service. IIRC we were out of view of land only one day.

A few pix. I don't think I've ever taken this many pix before...and we went to an expedition cruise to Antarctica.

norwegianlan.jpg

woodonhurtigruten.jpg

4 hours ago, clo said:

I'm guessing you're ship oriented rather than off-ship.

No, we are very much both.  Cruises are booked first for itinerary, then for food, third (but definitely on the list) for suite.  When we're onshore, we cover a lot of ground.  When we're onboard, we enjoy our suite.  We really enjoy the Azamara destination-focused itineraries and their CW suites (Oceania calls them OS).  No need to choose.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If my cabin looked like that, I would indeed spend as little time as possible in it.  But that's why I don't book on ships like that – our cabin is our private retreat and we want enough room to stretch out and enjoy it.  YMMV

👍🛳️😁Me too.............The cabin/suite is part of the cruise-in fact for us a main part of the cruise.  Being on the water is great and we enjoy view.  Honesty we try to pick interesting ports, but if the ship isn't what we want we don't go...............

Edited by ronrick1943

On 7/6/2021 at 12:19 AM, Paulchili said:

One of the craziest things I have experienced while cruising was when one of the Princess R ships (Ocean?) sunk the Norwegian tug boat while leaving a port in Norway (Nordkapp?).

The tug boat failed to disengage and we all watch in horror as she was pulled and sank in front of our eyes.

The 2 fellows from the tug jumped into the icy waters and swam ashore. Apparently they didn't even need to go to the hospital for treatment of hypothermia - tough folks.

The police came aboard our ship for a few hours' worth of investigations but we were cleared in the end.

I'm trying to picture this but can't. 

On 7/5/2021 at 12:34 PM, Hunding said:

Given any thought to one of the Hurtigruten ferries

a round trip, Bergen to Kirkenes to Bergen, will put you into a very large number of fiords, many of them in the middle of the night,  

The ones we missed in the night northbound were scheduled for the daytime southbound.  Of course, some of stops at smaller ports were only for 15 minutes or so but with 34 ports there was plenty to see.  A fascinating variation from normal cruising.

On 7/6/2021 at 12:35 AM, CintiPam said:

Itinerary is my priority for a Norway cruise. Oceania is my favorite cruise line but next year’s Norwegian itinerary does not travel far enough north to satisfy in any way my Norwegian travel goals, of which fjords is major one.

i was on the same Azamara cruise as Host Jazzbeau, every port in Norway (RT Amsterdam only non- Norway stop) all the way up to Northkapp and back, and it was an incomparable experience. (At that time the Oceania Norwegian itinerary included ports in Putinland so political traveler spouse would not even consider it.)

We did the Azamara Pursuit in 2023, Southampton to Copenhagen.  11 ports of call in Norway including the North Cape, a great cruise.  Highly recommend that AZ itinerary.

28 minutes ago, shank63 said:

We did the Azamara Pursuit in 2023, Southampton to Copenhagen.  11 ports of call in Norway including the North Cape, a great cruise.  Highly recommend that AZ itinerary.

"Our 12-day Norwegian coastal cruise travels northbound and then southbound, taking in Norway's many fjords and mountains along the way. Your ship will call at 34 ports of all sizes and cross the Arctic Circle twice over 2,500 nautical miles.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 2:34 PM, Hunding said:

Given any thought to one of the Hurtigruten ferries (preferably one of the larger ones)?  A very different experience from the "happily coddled" experiences of Viking and Oceania and Regent.  But a round trip, Bergen to Kirkenes to Bergen, will put you into a very large number of fiords, many of them in the middle of the night, true, but....  Cannot speak about Azamara as I have never sailed with them.

^ We did this. 

Edited by Syd58

On 6/6/2024 at 8:16 AM, Woofbite said:

The ones we missed in the night northbound were scheduled for the daytime southbound.  Of course, some of stops at smaller ports were only for 15 minutes or so but with 34 ports there was plenty to see.  A fascinating variation from normal cruising.

I could do that trip all over again. Loved every bit of it. 100 pax!

On 6/5/2024 at 10:06 AM, Islander500 said:

Now intrigued by Troll Fjord.  Who else has visited and what can you add? Need to research it further.  🧐

We had the amazing experience of sailing (slowly and gingerly) into the Troll Fjord a few years ago during a wonderful voyage on Seabourn Quest.  This lovely vessel performed a complete turnaround at the end of the fjord.  The sides of this natural wonder seemed close enough to touch.  The beauty of the rocks and vegetation (both clinging and trailing) left us breathless.  Our skilled Captain held the ship just off the opening to the fjord for what seemed ages.  He was waiting for the wind to drop before entering.  We have sailed on many lines over too many years to count.  That magical day is still discussed with awe, and suspended forever in our memories.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

We had the amazing experience of sailing (slowly and gingerly) into the Troll Fjord a few years ago during a wonderful voyage on Seabourn Quest.  This lovely vessel performed a complete turnaround at the end of the fjord.  The sides of this natural wonder seemed close enough to touch.  The beauty of the rocks and vegetation (both clinging and trailing) left us breathless.  Our skilled Captain held the ship just off the opening to the fjord for what seemed ages.  He was waiting for the wind to drop before entering.  We have sailed on many lines over too many years to count.  That magical day is still discussed with awe, and suspended forever in our memories.

How many pax on the ship? Sounds glorious.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, clo said:

How many pax on the ship? Sounds glorious.

About 500 from memory, but Still did a quick search and that’s the average.  It can vary from 450-550, and could possibly take 600 pax at absolute maximum.  

• Thanks 1