What???

EmmasNana

I saw on here about the health assessment so I thought I would check on my 4 rooms I have booked for Sept. I know some of the folks are not going to get vaccinated. I checked the first guy and submitted that he would not be vaccinated and got a message that said to call Carnival prior to coming to the pier.

I called the # and spoke with a resolutions agent. I told her one of my cabins would definitely not be vaccinated and that they were in the 25% penalty phase right now. I was waiting for Carnival to put out the Sept. protocols and hoping they would allow for a refund. 

50% penalty is coming up in a few days, so I was definitely going to cancel them prior to that. I was told that even at the 75% phase they would only lose the $50 pp admin fee and the remaining would go on a FCC.

This is supposing the the Sept protocol allows unvaccinated people. If vaccination is require like it is today then the full amount could be refunded.

Does this sound right?

EDIT: They had moved the final payment out to July 21, so  maybe that makes a difference??? Original final payment had been June 10, I think.

Edited by EmmasNana

The protocols are a fluid situation. In many cases for the next few months, they won't know what they can do until they do it. What is valid for cruises on July 3rd may not be valid for July 10. It is an evolving practice and the current appeal against the FL decision is going to put a monkey wrench in things maybe. 

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sounds about right to me. I'd start making other plans though and anticipate the vaccine requirements being in place. 

I thought that after final payment you would lose at least the full deposit. Maybe because they extended fp it isn't truly lost yet?

8 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Sounds about right to me. I'd start making other plans though and anticipate the vaccine requirements being in place. 

It will affect 3 cabins. My hubs and myself are vaccinated so we are going.

2 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

So if you cannot go because of the vaccinated only mandate for cruises, you will lose everything?  Am I reading this right?  Wouldn't they give you a 100% future cruise credit instead?

I don't know. Every time I tried to figure out what she said, it seemed contradictory. After an hour on the phone I just couldn't take anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

So if you cannot go because of the vaccinated only mandate for cruises, you will lose everything?  Am I reading this right?  Wouldn't they give you a 100% future cruise credit instead?

No. I believe it is a 100% FCC (if you've rolled over or accepted some benefit in lieu of a refund) or refund (if you payed cash or equivalent for booking) if you are not vaccinated and can't get an exception. I don't see how it could be legal any other way (or worth the court fight/expense of litigation). They should be allowing this already (especially for bookings 90 days or less) and if you make it clear that the passengers WILL NOT be getting the vaccine I'm sure they will accommodate your refund or FCC or even pushing the booking much further out when restrictions may not be necessary.     

• Like 1

Going forward, they could add a vaccination expectation to bookings with a notification of prescribed remedy to the cruise contract and/or some supplemental clause that prescribes potential risks, penalties, and cancellation/rebooking process. This would have to be a looking/moving  forward contractual change and not retroactive. Some folks booked when a coronavirus vaccine wasn't even a thought, others booked when it was a mere idea. Confiscating those funds wouldn't be fair/right. Too big of a contractual change to not offer a opt-out and covid is basically an act of God for all intense and purposes.      

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Going forward, they could add a vaccination expectation to bookings with a notification of prescribed remedy to the cruise contract and/or some supplemental clause that prescribes potential risks, penalties, and cancellation/rebooking process. This would have to be a looking/moving  forward contractual change and not retroactive. Some folks booked when a coronavirus vaccine wasn't even a thought, others booked when it was a mere idea. Confiscating those funds wouldn't be fair/right. Too big of a contractual change to not offer a opt-out and covid is basically an act of God for all intense and purposes.      

If the passenger requested an exemption and Carnival denied the request, they get all their money back  even though its way past the final cancellation date. They had to pay in full before the exemption form would work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sailingships said:

If the passenger requested an exemption and Carnival denied the request, they get all their money back  even though its way past the final cancellation date. They had to pay in full before the exemption form would work. 

That makes sense. 

• Like 1

I think the real problem is at this point they know that the rules that they do or do not have to follow are changeable literally (sorry I don't like to use the word, but in this case it is correct) from day to day.  They want to try and keep your money for as long as they can, but it seems like when they come right down to the wire, they are refunding money if you cannot go because of their protocols or rules.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrMarc said:

I think the real problem is at this point they know that the rules that they do or do not have to follow are changeable literally (sorry I don't like to use the word, but in this case it is correct) from day to day.  They want to try and keep your money for as long as they can, but it seems like when they come right down to the wire, they are refunding money if you cannot go because of their protocols or rules.  

If it was me Id rather go. I have so many cancellations from this year and last that I need every future cruises I can get in order to use up all that FCC and the lovely $600 OBC. Right now we only have until Sept 2023 to use it or lose it.

13 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Yeah, I would think so too.  Got a little worried there for a moment.  Again, the adults are vaxxed but the kids won't be.  Hope they get the exemption.  

I believe they will reduce the exemptions for younger kids after the vaccine becomes available to them as well. Right now it makes sense to have limited exemptions for unvaccinated kids to allow the vaccinated parents to cruise, it won't make as much sense after it's approved for the younger kids. Only the 0-2 aged children and very small number of medically exempt.  

30 minutes ago, sailingships said:

If it was me Id rather go. I have so many cancellations from this year and last that I need every future cruises I can get in order to use up all that FCC and the lovely $600 OBC. Right now we only have until Sept 2023 to use it or lose it.

I only have 2 with the extra $600, but considering they were $200 cruises now with $800 onboard credit, I wish I had scheduled more.

45 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I believe they will reduce the exemptions for younger kids after the vaccine becomes available to them as well. Right now it makes sense to have limited exemptions for unvaccinated kids to allow the vaccinated parents to cruise, it won't make as much sense after it's approved for the younger kids. Only the 0-2 aged children and very small number of medically exempt.  

Probably right but I highly doubt small children will be approved for these current vaccines.  I know we won't allow our kids to get it.  Hoping for the exemption.  Only time will tell.  My wife is a elementary school teacher and she NEEDS this cruise.  Last year was rough teaching in-class along with ZOOM at the same time.  She NEEDS this.  LMAO!

• Like 3

again not to break CC rules. I think CCL knows that the vaccinated route is working and will continue to have it as a recommendation. in the fall younger children will be able to get it.  just saying.  please be kind 

I want everyone to enjoy being on the high seas again. 

If they got vaccinated this wouldn't be an issue for them but let them deal with it because the lack of vaccination and the consequences are their problem. To be honest, I don't feel the least bit sorry for anyone who is attempting to sail unvaccinated this year and the consequences and hoops they have to jump through. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, sailingships said:

They will, but unlikely Carnival will deny requests until just a few days before sailing.

4 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

It depends on who cancels the cruise and when.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

They will, but unlikely Carnival will deny requests until just a few days before sailing.

From what the July passengers have been saying it seems they get an answer about 2 weeks out. Might be longer for the August people. Someone mentioned people know the new requirement now BEFORE they book. so the rules will probably change.