Pay early or no?

Booked our flights on AA for next May through Celebrity.  Was able to get seats selected and have entered all personal info & confirmed seat selection through Celebrity & they are showing on my AA account.  It has the ticket pending remark & I know what that means.  Had to contact AA tonight for something unrelated but asked if the seats I’ve chosen are  guaranteed until the ticket is paid for through celebrity and was told no, they’re not, that until that ticket is paid they can reassign our seats to someone who has already paid.  Is this info correct?  Really like the defer payment option but if I do pay now, and the price drops, does Celebrity issue a refund to my card or it’s applied as an OBC?  TIA for the help.   

Why the rush to pay in full, if it's only to guarantee your flight seat selection? It's a full 10 months until you fly. In that time they could change your flight and/or aircraft type half a dozen times. Some of which could require a seat reassignment. 

I seem to recall that any refund would be a refundable OBC, but I'm not positive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IcanSeaclearlynow said:

Is this info correct?

Yes in order for any contract to be complete there needs to be an exchange of monies, if you want the seats you selected then you need to make the payment.

Being as far out as you are for your flights I would not worry about your seat selection.

With the airlines still changing routes, times and aircraft at the drop of a hat your flight could change several times. If your aircraft changes you will lose your seats and have to repick them anyways. 
If the flight price drops you will get the difference in OBC however if you pay for the flight in full you are subject to any cancellation fees and penalties imposed by either the air or cruise line should you need to cancel.

Edited by pixiedust777

I just had a flight changed by delta. A Celebrity rep said it was probably because the price has doubled for that flight since I booked it. Annoying but what are you gonna do. 

I ended up changing both flights and the rep said that I could make as many changes as I wanted, including full cancellation, before final payment (no penalty)I got the impression that it goes back to original payment but I’m not 100% sure. 

It’s nice to be able to pick your flight with Celebrity but it’s good to know that these aren’t guaranteed. 

Edited by paulajj
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Not sure how you booked flights without paying in full.  I have never seen that option.  We mostly fly on Delta, occasionally on AA.

When you book on Flights By Celebrity it says Risk Free on many of the flights.    If you click  question mark it pops up window explaining

image.png.8a82e205871aa71614ab69d734f312d6.png

• Like 2

Thx everyone for your input.  Celebrity had a price drop on our flights this morning so called them to get that changed and asked her about what the AA rep told me.  She said as a general rule airlines will start releasing seats for unpaid bookings about 2 months prior to flight.  Since our final payment is due in February w/flight being in May she felt pretty confident seats would be ok.  I’ll continue to keep an eye on the flights & seats.  She also said if I chose to pay for the flight early and there is a price decrease, the amount would be refunded back to the credit card.  Once again, thanks everyone and have a great weekend.  

• Like 2