Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

I apologize as this may have already been mentioned.   We are set to go on Sky 7/30.  I know they(Viking) test passengers on arrival and prior to departure.  Was this a random testing midway through the trip?  

Has anyone on Sky posted what the rest of their voyage was like after the positive case?  

Thank you.  KD

On 7/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, aandjw said:

Also onboard and enjoying the afternoon "at sea" at the dock! I have a few questions that may or may not be answered:

1. Is this the agreed protocol with the Iceland federal government and local authorities? This was the "plan"? It seems a bit excessive for one positive test and no other issue.

2. Will the next port have the same reaction? (same protocol question too)

Sigh. Love the little waterfall up the hill on the starboard side...

PXL_20210714_131004291~2.jpg

At least you have pretty scenery.   Sorry this has occurred.  Did you hear if that was the 'standard' protocol?  How many days/ports were missed d/t the positive case? 

26 minutes ago, KD34 said:

I apologize as this may have already been mentioned.   We are set to go on Sky 7/30.  I know they(Viking) test passengers on arrival and prior to departure.  Was this a random testing midway through the trip?  

Has anyone on Sky posted what the rest of their voyage was like after the positive case?  

Thank you.  KD

I think testing is daily right now but that is not Viking’s stated policy:

Quick and easy PCR tests will be conducted prior to embarkation and on an ongoing, regular basis throughout an itinerary, dependent on prevalence levels from both our guests’ country of origin and the destinations to which we will sail.

Check out their Health and Safety Plan Q&A. 

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/health-and-safety/health-and-safety-faq.html

Edited by Cher98
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 2:20 PM, TayanaLorna said:

Don't know how norovirus is transmitted.  More airborne from breathing like Covid19 or more hand to mouth/eyes/nose?

NV is transmitted by contact.  Best way to avoid-GOOD hand hygiene.  That is why many 'buffet' type restaurants or places where patrons would serve themselves shut that down.  

We were on RCCL several years ago that needed to decontaminate d/t breakout of NV on prior cruise.  Only delayed by a few hours.  They spray everything down.  Hand Hygiene is your friend. 🤩

On 7/15/2021 at 9:14 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Significantly less.  Camiel told me he believed that none of the WB cruises would be full. More likely will top out at 850-870

I am surprised to hear that, considering online majority of sailings were sold out.  Unless, purposely held back capacity.  Which makes sense. 

On 7/15/2021 at 10:59 AM, Clay Clayton said:

Given the circumstances when we booked I didn’t plan on getting anything other than a lovely time onboard. I hoped we would have a full Icelandic experience. (Which we did until yesterday) but was mentally prepared if we did not. I don’t think I’m rationalizing…we took this cruise for a number of reasons one of which was to determine if we enjoyed cruising under the current protocols and to learn how they might impact our future travels. I am still gathering my thoughts on that but currently, I hope we get to go ashore tomorrow and to disembark on Saturday. If not, we will cross that bridge when we get there. In the meantime, it’s an unexpected sea day. 

97DE0C13-3344-4938-AA85-AC6F0FA0FA7E.jpeg

Best attitude to have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KD34 said:

Thank you.  KD

It's been mentioned a lot, but in different threads, so a bit hard to find. There's an article on Cruise Critic that explains it pretty well. But basically Sky passengers weren't allowed off in 3 ports (except people who had already left on excursion coaches and perhaps on foot; they were sent back to the ship). Sky returned to Reykjavik mid-afternoon a day earlier than scheduled; people were allowed off if they wanted to sightsee/whatever.  The next day was the original disembarkation day, and everyone disembarked.  I believe the positive person was taken somewhere in Reykjavik to quarantine after his/her quarantine stay on Sky.

(Jupiter)

-Testing daily, before you can get off the ship.  They collect (spit in tube) by 8am each day.

-After 1 positive (asymptomatic) test, the hallway was closed for about an hour (presumably while they transferred said positive person to a quarentine room and disinfected the hallway).

-Snafu with authorities at Akureyri where they didn't let the anyone on shore, but all back to "normal" after that with port stops and activities as usual.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kaymoz said:

Thanks for posting this well-written summary which provides lots of insights.  It's super relevant to me right now since we leave for Iceland ourselves in one week to do a circumnavigation cruise!  But not with Viking.  We'll sail on the much smaller Ocean Diamond (<200 passengers) with Iceland ProCruises.  So I expect they will have their own learning/experience curve with the local authorities as covid protocols are worked out across the nation.

Iceland pro cruises has no covid precautions apparently. https://youtu.be/l8lsP0sE12Q

2 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Iceland pro cruises has no covid precautions apparently. https://youtu.be/l8lsP0sE12Q

Can anyone on the Jupiter confirm what this lady is saying? I heard her say that there was one confirmed positive case and when contact tracing was done that those who had been around the positive-case-person had to quarentine even though they were negative.  Is that accurate??

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

Can anyone on the Jupiter confirm what this lady is saying? I heard her say that there was one confirmed positive case and when contact tracing was done that those who had been around the positive-case-person had to quarentine even though they were negative.  Is that accurate??

I wonder if that was only until they received negative test results (as was the case on other sailings)? Although, you would think that would be clarified in subsequent videos.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Triptkr said:

My understanding on the other Boards is that on the original case on the Sky, they also removed from the ship those who connected with the infected person via contact tracing, but after 2 negative tests they were allowed back on board with full movement on and off ship allowed.  I never saw anything about others removed from the Jupiter or even whether the one positive on the Jupiter was actually confirmed

5 minutes ago, stbiehn said:

My understanding on the other Boards is that on the original case on the Sky, they also removed from the ship those who connected with the infected person via contact tracing, but after 2 negative tests they were allowed back on board with full movement on and off ship allowed.  I never saw anything about others removed from the Jupiter or even whether the one positive on the Jupiter was actually confirmed

I was aboard and never heard that, not too say it didn’t happen. 

7 minutes ago, firefox33 said:

Thanks for posting this.   I knew this was coming but wasn't sure when it would be implemented. 

10 hours ago, minka34 said:

(Jupiter)

-Testing daily, before you can get off the ship.  They collect (spit in tube) by 8am each day.

-After 1 positive (asymptomatic) test, the hallway was closed for about an hour (presumably while they transferred said positive person to a quarentine room and disinfected the hallway).

-Snafu with authorities at Akureyri where they didn't let the anyone on shore, but all back to "normal" after that with port stops and activities as usual.

So they wouldn’t just quarantine in their cabin?  Anyone know where on the ship you are moved to?  Another guest cabin, medical facility?  The later sailing are supposedly going out full. Wonder how that will work. 

• Like 1