Does Windstar do upsells?

wesport

Having been on mostly HAL and Seabourn, they try to sell you a higher priced cabin as the sailing gets closer. Just curious if Windstar does the same. We sail this Saturday, and I am sure we are not full, and have had no emails  except to put us on a completely new itinerary. 

Mine have usually come as surprises at some point prior to the trip. It’s like a little snowflake from nowhere “you’ve been upgraded to the owners suite…”. They can’t be predicted and just appear. The only times I can trace is when they’re out of lower prices cabins and they’re clearing out frequent customers to upgrade so they can resell the cheaper cabins. I’ll take it!  . The best ever was when we were in a B2B on two tickets. One was a suite the other not. The suite double upgrade came through and we got the owners suite (not what we’d booked for either leg) for the entire B2B. Lightning had struck. But you can’t predict. 

On board upgrades have been less successful. You hang around all day hoping and then something comes though at a cost that isn’t worth it. I think I took one once. 

Edited by milepig
  • Like 1

Been on 10 Windstar cruises. Got a free upgrade on the surf once. Same cabin but top level. On the Pride..twice we were offered ( by e mail) an upgrade to a french balcony cabin for a fraction of the original price. Took it and was well worth it.

We were upgraded from a B grade on the Star to AX. Same cabin but better location. We were actually very happy with the original cabin (though even happier with the upgrade!) and wouldn’t have paid extra for the upgrade but it makes you feel like you’re getting something for nothing- and it’s a good feeling!! And we booked another cruise with Windstar so I guess it works for them as well!!

• 1 year later...

Before pandemic, we got some complimentary upgrades to similar cabins on higher decks.  Yacht club for repeat guests used to include upgrades to bigger suites for $300 onboard if any suites were available.  The new Yacht club doesn’t include upgrades as a benefit.  Just Off Star Breeze.  With only 130 guests, there were lots of empty cabins.  Future cruise person was selling upgrades.  No comps.

3 hours ago, milepig said:

On our recent itin there was a sign by reception about asking about upgrade opportunities.  I didn't ask but if sounded like they were for a fee.

Our cruise had 130 guests.  There were lots of empty cabins.  The future cruise person was selling upgrades.  First time I ever saw that on a Windstar cruise.  We kept our original booked suite.  Since the motor yacht suites are mostly all the same size, paying extra for a different deck seemed odd. 

Just booked a Guaranteed room for 16 day Caribbean cruise in November and got upgraded 2 categories from lowest port hole cabin without asking .  Maybe there's someone upselling when we check in, we'll see but the ship looks pretty full with a lot of room categories no longer available, which I assume is good news for Windstar

17 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

Just booked a Guaranteed room for 16 day Caribbean cruise in November and got upgraded 2 categories from lowest port hole cabin without asking .  Maybe there's someone upselling when we check in, we'll see but the ship looks pretty full with a lot of room categories no longer available, which I assume is good news for Windstar

Booking a gty at the lowest price is usually a good deal.  You have nowhere to go but up. Before the pandemic,I never saw a gty offered. Also,  only the sailing ships had portholes. We liked the portholes on Windsurf.  The porthole suites on the Star ships are all new. They were created in the space that was previously been Aamphora. In the stretch, they recreated Aamphora in the new section.  Having been on decks 4,5, and 6 on the Star ships, there really isn’t any difference. Enjoy your cruise.