Mixing doses - Canadians - Pfizer and AZ...

kafraser78

3 minutes ago, kafraser78 said:

Hi everybody...

Who has mixed doses with AZ???  Who is worried we will not be allowed to Cruise on Carnival?  So many questions after Johns live video chat.  Anybody else?

Thanks

i did not listen to his live chat this morning but Carnival put out a while ago on their health page:

"Pfizer and Moderna can be mixed to complete a full vaccination series. All other vaccines in a 2-dose series are required to be of the same type."

There is a Canadian section of this forum and maybe that is a better place to discuss this.

I received AZ as my first dose and Pfizer as my second. I'm in Ontario and therefore have a document indicating Pfizer and that I am fully vaccinated (legal name, date. contact info, watermark, etc).

I cruise in December and plan to show the above document that shows that I am fully vaccinated, two doses, at least 14 days before cruising.

My husband received AZ first then Pfizer as his second dose, as well.  We are in Ontario as well and have the same documents as you have after our shots.  We are cruising in November and December and are planning on showing the second ministry of Health document that shows his 2nd dose was pfizer.  We are hoping that will be enough. 

I will look for the Canadian section that discusses this further.  

Thank you

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I had AZ first and Moderna 2nd. My BC status shows me fully vaccinated.

Yes our Ontario status shows him as fully vaccinated as well.  But not in the eyes of the CDC/WHO/FDA and Cruise lines.  He has mixed doses with AZ, so he is not vaccinated.

We are also confused on what documentation they require to show we are vaccinated.  We were given 1 vaccination record showing what we were vaccinated with each time.  First vaccination record shows AZ Dose 1 of 2.  2nd vaccination record shows Pfizer dose 2 of 2.    We could give just the 2nd record showing his 2nd dose with Pfizer, but if they ask for the first record showing AZ, he will be denied boarding...possibly right at the ship.  Like is said we have so many questions.

5 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

This why I decided to wait for a second Pfizer (fully pfizered) instead of mixing PF and MD.  Now I am good to go, and don't have to worry about any issues that come along with mixing.

When my husband got vaccinated in April, we had no idea that he would be denied anywhere.  Had we known, we would have waited as well.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kafraser78 said:

When my husband got vaccinated in April, we had no idea that he would be denied anywhere.  Had we known, we would have waited as well.  

I'd like to think that showing the second document will be enough.

We also need to wait until the first Canadians cruise and see what happens.

One thing I have read on here is that different states have different methods to show that people are vaccinated. Then you add in the different provinces of Canada.

Do the people checking the original documents know what every single document is supposed to look like. If they called the Ministry of Health what info would be given (and honestly would someone answer if our cruises leave on a weekend?)

• Like 1

Here is what is on the Princess Website:

Guests who have received one single dose of a vector vaccine (e.g. AstraZeneca) and one single dose of a mRNA vaccine (e.g. Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna) will not be considered fully vaccinated. Guests who have received two single doses of mixed vaccines that are the same type (e.g., mRNA) will be considered fully vaccinated and will be permitted to sail, so long as the final dose is received at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise.

It is pretty clear what the rule is.  I would not take the chance, because if there are any issues while you are onboard, you could be held liable!  

John Heald spoke about this on his live chat this morning.  He said they are working on a communication to all who are affected by this which will identify what is needed.  This should be out shortly he said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

John Heald spoke about this on his live chat this morning.  He said they are working on a communication to all who are affected by this which will identify what is needed.  This should be out shortly he said.

Thats good to know.

1 hour ago, kdr69 said:

Thanks.   Listened to the chat on facebook.  He said the communication will go out next week.  He said that they would "look after" the Canadians who had a mix dose, but did not state what that would be. 

• Like 1

We called CDC yesterday and were told that FDA and WHO as well consider those who received AstraZeneca as a first dose and either Phizer or Moderna as a second shot were considered to be fully vaccinated. Then we contacted Princess. They promised to look into it and get back asap. Meanwhile, the agent booked a cruise for December and gave us until August 5 to make the refundable deposit. 

5 minutes ago, gubby said:

We called CDC yesterday and were told that FDA and WHO as well consider those who received AstraZeneca as a first dose and either Phizer or Moderna as a second shot were considered to be fully vaccinated. Then we contacted Princess. They promised to look into it and get back asap. Meanwhile, the agent booked a cruise for December and gave us until August 5 to make the refundable deposit. 

That is good news!  I wished there was something documented that could be provided to Princess.   Canada is going to open the border to the US in August for vaccinated travelers.   If it is reciprocal, does this mean that Canadians that have a mixed dose will not be able to travel to the US???

6 hours ago, tert333 said:

That is good news!  I wished there was something documented that could be provided to Princess.   Canada is going to open the border to the US in August for vaccinated travelers.   If it is reciprocal, does this mean that Canadians that have a mixed dose will not be able to travel to the US???

I think the issue is that cruise lines aren't following the cdc and who recommendations.

Edited by K_e_short

7 hours ago, gubby said:

I hope there is some movement around this.  There is someone on the Princess blog that just happened to notice the new wording on the Princess website.  She is cruising in August and was told by Princess that she can not cruise with them and was provided with a full refund.

I have called Princess as well who said the same thing to me.   They are looking into it, but I am not feeling very confident.   I have already sent my MP and MPP a note asking for support.   We need to let them know in an election year that this is a big issue and needs some attention on their side.  They have to take ownership of this and deal with it on a timely basis.  I think the only solution that will provide closure on this is to have any AZ with Pfizer/Moderna, offered a third dose.   Not everyone would take it.   I can just see people showing up at the port, not knowing of this issue and being denied passage.

This is a big issue for anyone who has a mixed vaccine and wants to cruise! 

Anyone who has this situation should also contact the cruise lines/TA to escalate this.

• Like 3

Unfortunately I'm caught in this mess as well,  the rest of my party had multiple doses of the same vaccine, but as we were assured to take the first vaccine offered in Canada, I opted to take the AZ and then the follow up recommended a different type for the second dose.   

Now I'm 2-3 weeks from having to make the final payments on two cruises and I am fearful the news from the cruise lines that I am now in the same category as those that didn't get vaccinated is frustrating.   

After a couple years with out travel, I know everyone is anxious to get back out there, but the mixed messaging between companies and countries are causing added frustration to loyal travellers having to choose between cancelling or taking a chance to make a final payment with the unknown consequences.

I appreciate everyone is trying their best in a very unique situation, I would plead with the cruise lines that adjusted this policy today to make an exception for those affected by this new policy to allow final payments without penalties to be made closer to the cruise date and or 100% money back (Not credit) if they don't get sorted out prior to cruise date. 

I'd hate to cancel my cruises due to this policy and then if the rules change again in a few weeks have to rebook at a higher price.

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat, AZ then Pfizer. I moved my cruises from December in order to get more time to sort this out, and get my son vaccinated as he turns 12 then. I hope it does get resolved sooner than later, I have PIF in December for March cruises on RCL, which is now saying the same thing when before they said it was ok. Prime Minister says he is working on it but who knows. I don't think it's just cruises either, other countries are also not considering it fully vaccinated. I am very angry that this is how it's played out, do what we're told and get screwed over. I really hope it get fixed. Without having to get a third shot of something. 

My husband and I had AstraZeneca then Pfizer. I didn't want AstraZeneca but it's all they had at the time. We are booked on 6 cruises, the first in Sept to Alaska. We will end up canceling it if they consider us unvaccinated. We aren't willing to pay fees for test at ports and onboard.

I expect that within time, they will modify the vaccination policy after mass cancellations. Not only that, passengers given future cruise credits can't use them unless their policy changes. What frustrates me is that cruise lines didn't notify booked passengers of the change and I will be fighting for a refund not a credit since their policy change prevents me from sailing.

• Like 3

Mixed vaccinations are common in Canada and Europe.  Unless the policy changes, there will be many cancellations and demands for refunds since FCC would be useless. (We are mixed, so if not sorted out shortly, we will have to cancel).

Edited by ddtravel2013
  • Like 1

According to the most recent Carnival wording the issue is being decided by the CDC. It accepts mixed mRNA vaccinations but not an Astrazeneca mix.

For cruises departing the U.S., the CDC requires both vaccines in a 2-dose series to be of the same type. They also accept mixing mRNA vaccines only (Pfizer and Moderna). No other vaccine combination meets the criteria to be considered fully vaccinated. So, for example, Canadian or other international guests who received a combination of AstraZeneca and Pfizer are considered unvaccinated by the CDC. Guests who are not fully vaccinated, according to these criteria, will be considered unvaccinated and need to apply for a vaccination exemption.

• Like 1

This was sad news and hope there is another update. Although this appears to come from the CDC, I am still confused, as the CDC also says this following statement that had me think that we were going to be good to go because we met the 28 day condition . I didn't get to pick my vaccine and will keep my fingers crossed that I do not need to cancel:

People vaccinated outside the United States

People who were vaccinated outside the United States with an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine and have received all the recommended doses do not need any additional doses. People who received the first dose of an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine that requires two doses do not need to restart the vaccine series in the United States but should receive the second dose as close to the recommended time as possible.

Some people may have received a COVID-19 vaccine that is not currently authorized in the United States. No data are available on the safety or efficacy of receiving a COVID-19 vaccine currently authorized in the United States after receipt of a non-FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine. However, in some circumstances people who received a COVID-19 vaccine not currently authorized in the United States may be offered revaccination with an FDA-authorized vaccine:

• COVID-19 vaccines not authorized by FDA but listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (WHO)2
    • People who have received all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that is listed for emergency use by WHO do not need any additional doses with an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine.
    • People who have not received all the recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine listed for emergency use by WHO may be offered a complete, FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine series.
  • COVID-19 vaccines neither authorized by FDA nor listed for emergency use by WHO
    • People who received all or some of the recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that is neither authorized by FDA nor listed for emergency use by WHO may be offered a complete, FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine series.

The minimum interval between the last dose of a non-FDA authorized vaccine or a WHO-listed vaccine and an FDA-authorized COVID-19 vaccine is 28 days. Only people who have received all recommended doses of an FDA-authorized or WHO-listed COVID-19 vaccine are considered fully vaccinated for the purpose of public health guidance.3

On 7/17/2021 at 2:14 PM, Ciren219 said:

My husband and I had AstraZeneca then Pfizer. I didn't want AstraZeneca but it's all they had at the time. We are booked on 6 cruises, the first in Sept to Alaska. We will end up canceling it if they consider us unvaccinated. We aren't willing to pay fees for test at ports and onboard.

I expect that within time, they will modify the vaccination policy after mass cancellations. Not only that, passengers given future cruise credits can't use them unless their policy changes. What frustrates me is that cruise lines didn't notify booked passengers of the change and I will be fighting for a refund not a credit since their policy change prevents me from sailing.

Yes, the policy change certainly puts us in a rough spot, as we can't use the credit and didn't cancel within the timeline, I also hope this changes as I can't imagine giving up cruising

5 minutes ago, Yosamitegirl said:

Yes, the policy change certainly puts us in a rough spot, as we can't use the credit and didn't cancel within the timeline, I also hope this changes as I can't imagine giving up cruising

Don't give up hope.  The CDC is authorizing vaccines that are approved by the WHO.  The WHO has approved the Astrazeneca and the PFizer vaccines.  The WHO has recently said the following:

Interchangeability with other vaccines
It is currently recommended that the same product should be used for both doses. If different COVID-19 vaccine products are inadvertently administered in the two doses, no additional doses of either vaccine are recommended at this time. Heterologous (mix-and-match) studies are ongoing with regards to the interchangeability of this vaccine with other COVID-19 vaccines. Preliminary results from a heterologous priming schedule where BNT162b2 was given as the second dose following a first dose of ChAdOx1-S [recombinant] vaccine showed a slightly increased but acceptable reactogenicity with superior or similar immunogenicity results, thus supporting the use of such a heterologous priming schedule in settings where the second dose for the ChAdOx1-S [recombinant]vaccine is not available due to vaccine supply constraints or other concerns (17, 18).

They have also said that they recommend that people use the same product for both doses, but understand in the case that two different APPROVED vaccines are used, a person does not need to get a third dose.    We all got the second Pfizer vaccine because people were getting blood clots with the Astrazeneca vaccine.  Logically it was the right decision.  Are you going to take a vaccine that has a chance of giving a blood clot, where the other one does not, especially since our Health Authorities in Canada is saying that.  

Lets see how this plays out.   No one knows how it will end up, but I think we have a strong case.   This has only just blown up in the last few days.   RCL has already taken down their contentious wording around mixed doses.   We need to make sure this issue gets the attention it needs.  Contact your MPP and MP.  If you know anyone in the media, let them know of the situation and finally let the cruiseline know.   I have contacted both Celebrity and Princess and was asked for an interview around this issue.  It is also an election year and our Prime Minister has a vested interest in getting this resolved!  It may end up that we will be given the option of another dose, who knows!

Doing nothing will increase the chances the negative people on this blog and others will be correct.

• Like 1