Pre cruise hotel review Fort Lauderdale July 2021

ysaw

I'm staying there for a single night.  From what I found:

Pros:

Suite with a bedroom

Balcony

Location is close

Free hot breakfast

Free drinks during evening reception which according to the front desk is 7 days a week (sometimes it's weekdays only)

Cons:

Outdated rooms

Minimal housekeeping (if multiple nights, most hotels in this price range are the same)

Some reports of the bathroom outlets not working (can't use a hair dryer)

It really comes down to what other options are in your price range, for my sailing the Hilton Marina which I stayed at in April was only about $25/night more.  That was a very nice and modern hotel I would recommend but a hot breakfast wasn't included and I wouldn't mind staying somewhere different.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

20 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

This sounds about like every Embassy Suites there is.  Pretty spot on description except the quality of the location may vary.  I would give them an extra point for the free breakfast.  It's much better and higher quality than you will find at most "free breakfast" places including omelettes made to order that are very good IMO.  Of course this is all pre-pandemic and so much has changed with so many hotels/airlines/etc.

Agree with everything except I haven't been to one where I think the room needs to be renovated.  Definitely have stayed in non-E.S. places where the carpet was stained with scratched up furniture I think should have been renovated.  I did call them to confirm hot breakfast is still included (some places are giving to go bags with pre-made frozen and microwaved egg discs) and the evening reception was still happening.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

This sounds about like every Embassy Suites there is.

That made me actually laugh out loud. It's funny because it's true. 

I've stayed at some newer Embassy Suites that are phenomenal and feel nearly like a 4-star hotel. However, the older, atrium-style ones (like the subject hotel) are about as dated as a dinosaur bone. 🦕

I would be fine staying there one night pre-cruise, but that's about it. We're actually eyeing the nearby Crowne Plaza for a pre-cruise night. 

Forgot on thing, this E.S. doesn't have a resort fee, many other hotels do including the Hilton Marina.

$139 for free drinks during the reception and a hot breakfast is pretty good for a July Friday

image.png.f2a3419250221de95711de10b4d54e15.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Thanks 1

We’ve stayed in Embassy Suites and many have been updated with very nice, modern rooms. I could care less about the open Atrium. Instead of staying at the one near the port, since we are driving down, staying at the Palm Beach Garden ES which is about $100 cheaper that night and only an hr away.

Not handy for flying in, but fine for us. I recommend it because we’ve already made reservations! 

Den 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

You know, I never did understand the atrium-style.  Apart from the obvious fact that it is wasting land or significant under-utilizing potential number of rooms, I always felt it looked a bit dirtyish. Maybe others might feel differently on that.  Anyhow, I'll turn it back over to the OP to garner some recommendations apart from Embassy.

I think the big benefit is IF the pool/hot tub is in the middle it can be used year round.

A few comments to add.  Not all the rooms have balconies. The pool area is really nice, but not sure how much of a chance you’ll have to use it. Yes, the rooms could use some touch up. Some work was done a few years ago, but the hotels in that area all see a lot of use. The location is fantastic. Easy walking to several restaurants and shopping if you need some last minute items. 

The Holiday Inn Express close by is pretty decent if you get a room in the new section. There is also a Renaissance close by, nice but pricier. Friends of ours have stayed at the Hyatt Place and been happy with it. Personally, I don’t care for the location of the Crown Plaza. 
Good luck. 

4 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

I just stayed at the Hyatt Place before and after recent cruise.

Not far from port, older hotel, clean and comfortable.

Lots of restaurants nearby, Publix and Total Wines close also !

Hyatt Place is a solid hotel. We like it's location and amenities.

The fact that it is close to our traditional pre-cruise restaurant, Kelly's Landing is a plus.

Remember, the OP said this: "Celebrity is offering the Embassy suites as a pre cruise hotel", so they're paying X directly, guessing they read the reviews and saw it wasn't perfect.  Not familiar with the program but if its cancellable, def worth shopping around.

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Remember, the OP said this: "Celebrity is offering the Embassy suites as a pre cruise hotel", so they're paying X directly, guessing they read the reviews and saw it wasn't perfect.  Not familiar with the program but if its cancellable, def worth shopping around.

Usually better pricing if booking independently. 

15 minutes ago, Ozzmund said:

Hyatt Place is a solid hotel. We like it's location and amenities.

The fact that it is close to our traditional pre-cruise restaurant, Kelly's Landing is a plus.

Have heard good things about Kelly’s Landing but I can’t pass up eating on the water. We’re usually at Southport Raw Bar or 15th Street Fisheries. 

44 minutes ago, lhsail said:

Usually better pricing if booking independently. 

Have heard good things about Kelly’s Landing but I can’t pass up eating on the water. We’re usually at Southport Raw Bar or 15th Street Fisheries. 

Agree that those two spots are great choices.

It's the New England style "Chowdah" that brings us back to Kelly's.