Has anyone stayed in cabin cat DV1?

Hike2Port

1 hour ago, Hike2Port said:

I am wondering what a cabin at the aft end of the ship is like.  Love it or hate it?

The DV cabins are all the same size . The difference  is location :

DV 6- DV 1 

Currently in 4123 , DV 1 doing the Bermuda cruise. 

view from balcony

2F23D29A-6747-4886-8114-F5BC2E9A016D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We stayed in an aft DV1 and we loved it.  The space was certainly tighter then our prior Viking Ocean PV1 cabin, but the aft view made up for it.  I would certainly consider booking an aft DV1 again (we actually already did, but the cruise was cancelled).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

@Azulann @slewis7

Any vibration felt? 

We had an aft facing cabin on the NCL Epic and the vibration was felt as they ship slowed down to enter to dock. It was a wake-up call for us - we didn't need an alarm clock!

Right now I do feel some slight vibration because ship is at full speed to get to port. But nothing like on the old Celebrity Century when docking sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Any vibration felt? 

Not enough, if any, to make a lasting impression.

Edit: I just mentioned this thread to my wife and she suggested I add specifically that the DV1 closet space was on the small side.

Edited by slewis7

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 6:33 PM, slewis7 said:

Not enough, if any, to make a lasting impression.

Edit: I just mentioned this thread to my wife and she suggested I add specifically that the DV1 closet space was on the small side.

All V and DV cabins have the same size closets.  People complained about storage space, then they started adding extra drawers in the closet.  I've only been on the Star in V cabins and there was more than enough storage space for 13 and 15 day cruises.  I you bring a 50 lb bag and a carry-on you will have space for everything in these circumstances and you can use the suitcase under your bed for a few extras, if needed.  I needed warm and cooler clothes for both trips. If the drawers are in the closet, you looses some hanging space but you have those drawers.  I travel with friends and have the closet the same on both sides is ideal in my situation.  No one feels they have to compromise.

DV1 on the Viking Orion , we had a set  drawers in the closet besides the set in the hallway. . We had the coffee maker removed. For two women, one of which my sister who pack al to of things, we had plenty of  closet and drawer space.

Love the the aft cabin. One also gets a lot of  steps in from walks from the aft to the first set of elevators .. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 12:58 PM, bluesea777 said:

@Azulann @slewis7

Any vibration felt? 

We had an aft facing cabin on the NCL Epic and the vibration was felt as they ship slowed down to enter to dock. It was a wake-up call for us - we didn't need an alarm clock!

Just saw this one.

Vibration on reducing speed is fairly common and is caused by cavitation. It can be managed by reducing speed gradually, but some ships are worse than others. If it was a wake up call, it sounds like they didn't reduce speed gradually, or it was similar to my last ship.

Just one of the downsides of aft cabins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Just one of the downsides of aft cabins.

And those do not  bother me in the least. I always had a aft cabin on the Celebrity ships I sailed  in the past , too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

And those do not  bother me in the least. I always had a aft cabin on the Celebrity ships I sailed  in the past , too.

On most cruise ships it should be of minimal impact to enjoying the cruise, as the ships rarely steam at full speed these days. Also the Bridge Teams are well trained in the need to reduce speed gradually, when the situation permits.

I visited one of these rear center DV cabins and can confirm that the balcony is a rectangle and as best I could judge, identical to other DV and V balconies in size and shape.

You have to lean out to get a 180° view.

On 7/27/2021 at 5:10 PM, Dauntless said:

All V and DV cabins have the same size closets.  People complained about storage space, then they started adding extra drawers in the closet.  I've only been on the Star in V cabins and there was more than enough storage space for 13 and 15 day cruises.  I you bring a 50 lb bag and a carry-on you will have space for everything in these circumstances and you can use the suitcase under your bed for a few extras, if needed.  I needed warm and cooler clothes for both trips. If the drawers are in the closet, you looses some hanging space but you have those drawers.  I travel with friends and have the closet the same on both sides is ideal in my situation.  No one feels they have to compromise.

120 and 128 days in a DV4 and we were entirely comfortable.  Plenty of storage for us, it just takes a bit of planning.🍸

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selion said:

@Azulann  May I trouble you for a picture of the aft balcony?  Curious to see if the aft balcony is larger than the regular V/DV balcony on the sides.  Thanks!

I only have a picture of the wake, that I posted above . The balcony is same size as the DV 3 I stated in on a previous Viking cruise . It has two chairs and the round table , perfect for your breakfast dishes from room service. 
now the Explorer suites next door have wraparound balconies.😎

• Like 1