Current Published Passport "Wait Times"

prescottbob

29 minutes ago, prescottbob said:

Just an FYI.

Last-minute Passport Application Appointments Can No Longer Be Booked Online (msn.com)

Doesn't really specify if this includes renewals but looks like a fairly large backlog according to the brief article.

Be well.

Bob

We just expedited my wife's renewal and they are saying 12 weeks for the expedited service. We will see!

Yes, we sent DH’s off via expedited service a couple of weeks ago and now are waiting patiently. Should show up by late September.

There have been many times in our lives when a three month gap until one of us was again holding a valid passport would have presented a problem. And of course some countries require at least six months’ validity past your arrival date so we couldn’t let the expiration date get too close. 

Not glad we’re staying home again this summer - but glad we have this window to wait the 12 weeks.

Hi

i sent my renewal in mid April and they didn't start processing it until the second week of May, so i haven't got it back.  I don't understand why renewals would take so long.  I can see for the intial application but not renewal.  

• Like 3

You can check the status on the State Department website--passportstatus dot state dot gov.  We sent in our renewals the second week in March.  It took around 5 weeks before the status showed the applications had been received--we sent by Priority Mail so we knew they were delivered a day or 2 after they were mailed.  Within a few days, the status became processed and within a week or so after that, we received our new passports.  In all it took about 7 weeks.  Apparently the wait time is longer now, though. 

Interesting! I sent my passport for renewal, on June 15, by certified mail. I just checked this website (thank you for posting the link) and according to the info on the website, my passport was received for processing on July 20. I wonder where my passport traveled for over a month! If everything I am reading is correct, I won't get my passport back until sometime in November. We are scheduled to sail on the 2022 World Cruise and that is pushing it awfully close to sailing time. Glad I didn't wait until it only had 6 months left before it expires! 

I heard an interview with a passport official (state dept?).  In that interview she said if you have travel in the next 6 weeks dependent on the passport renewal you should change your plans.  I guess once things opened up earlier this summer everyone dusted off their passports.  

Fortunately closed loop cruises don't necessitate a passport as my DH will most likely not get his processed before we cruise out of Port Everglades end of  October. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. 

I'm in Canada, and DH and I just renewed our Canadian passports.  Renewal time is 2 months.  I was told that if we haven't received by then, to call.

I'm curious, how much you pay for passports?  In Canada it's $120 CAD for 5 years, and $160 CAD for 10 years.

L.

6 minutes ago, leerathje said:

I'm in Canada, and DH and I just renewed our Canadian passports.  Renewal time is 2 months.  I was told that if we haven't received by then, to call.

I'm curious, how much you pay for passports?  In Canada it's $120 CAD for 5 years, and $160 CAD for 10 years.

L.

Renewal is $110 for 10 years. I believe the fee is the same for first time passports. 

Edited by Laminator

On 7/25/2021 at 8:43 PM, travellersrest said:

Interesting! I sent my passport for renewal, on June 15, by certified mail. I just checked this website (thank you for posting the link) and according to the info on the website, my passport was received for processing on July 20. I wonder where my passport traveled for over a month! If everything I am reading is correct, I won't get my passport back until sometime in November. We are scheduled to sail on the 2022 World Cruise and that is pushing it awfully close to sailing time. Glad I didn't wait until it only had 6 months left before it expires! 

During the time between the application being sent and acknowledgement of receipt, the passport application envelopes are probably in bins at the State Dept. facility waiting to be opened.  To acknowledge receipt, they have to actually get the application out of the envelope (and cash your check) so that's progress.  After ours were "received," it took less time to get through processing--but that was back in April/May so YMMV.

Edited by mcmarya

50 minutes ago, mcmarya said:

During the time between the application being sent and acknowledgement of receipt, the passport application envelopes are probably in bins at the State Dept. facility waiting to be opened.  To acknowledge receipt, they have to actually get the application out of the envelope (and cash your check) so that's progress.  After ours were "received," it took less time to get through processing--but that was back in April/May so YMMV.

We sent my wife's in 7/15. The check was cashed on 7/21 so maybe they are catching up a little. 

16 hours ago, leerathje said:

L.

US passport costs $110 US for ten years.

3 hours ago, jacpedigo said:

I sent in my renewal on June 15th.  I got the notification that it was processing/check cashed 7/21, as well.  My sister sent hers 6/8 and it is not yet in the system for tracking.

Did you send them expedited? Even though we have plenty of time we paid for the expedited service. 

I recently renewed my passport as did my wife.  The State Dept acknowledged receiving the application and money on June 30th.  I paid the extra $60 to expedite the renewal and opted for the additional $17 to return them expedited US Mail.  I received my new passport this past Saturday, July 24th and my wife received hers on Monday, July 26th.  Both passports renewed in less than one month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBM Sweathog said:

I recently renewed my passport as did my wife.  The State Dept acknowledged receiving the application and money on June 30th.  I paid the extra $60 to expedite the renewal and opted for the additional $17 to return them expedited US Mail.  I received my new passport this past Saturday, July 24th and my wife received hers on Monday, July 26th.  Both passports renewed in less than one month.

Great to hear. That is what we are hoping for. 

• Like 1

There are some encouraging messages in this thread so I am hoping to be one of the lucky ones who get our passports back early…….. I am trying hard to avoid any of the negativity. 😏

I got on renewing our passports early this past February.  My husband mailed them from our local post office certified mail (so we had a tracking number) on Feb 22.  It did not arrive in the Passport Office in Philadelphia until March 12.  Yes the postal service took 3 weeks to get it there.  It was another 5 weeks before it got into the system as being in process.  Meanwhile I contacted my congressman about this.  I received a phone call from the State Department asking about my travel plans and I explained I am purely frustrated by not knowing if my whole renewal packet for me and my husband was lost.  The new passports were issued on April 27 and I received them on April 30. Whew!

I guess it is not surprising that the passport office is slammed this year, aside from Covid it has been 10 years since the US implemented the law that you needed a passport to travel even to Mexico and Canada so alot of people are due for renewals.  

Hope everyone gets their travel documents in time.  Have a great evening everyone

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

Update: We also expedited for DH’s passport renewal. Received it today via Priority Mail, just 31 days after mailing it to the passport office.

Projected wait time using expedited service was 12 weeks, so this was considerably better.  Relieved to have it so DH can keep his September appointment for the Global Entry interview.

We sent off for a renewal for our 11 year old and a new adult passport for our 17 year old on 8/3/21. Just checked and they are already "In Process". I imagine we'll have them back within the month. We did pay for expedited service. Good news that things are moving faster than anticipated. 

• Like 1