Voyagers Club members, what's the skinny on how +5%, +10%, and +15% discount cruises get selected?

no1talks

Have any of you sussed this out?

I would suppose it has to do with the rate at which a cruise is selling. What are the timeframes, though? How many months out might a slow seller make it on the +5% offerings?  How much longer, still, before moving up in discount?

I've noticed discrepancies between a cruise entry under discount and the same cruise as listed in a regular search. A discounted version excluded YC, but YC was available on the normal listing.

Come on, don't keep the secret formula to yourself. (Please.)

Too bad the discount cruises do not populate when you are logged in with member number.

since we have four cruises booked, have checked 5+discounts every week. 
Started in May for November 2021 cruises. We have 11/13 and 11/20 cruises. 

since having to manually enter member number each time, I now have mine memorized.

I found discount (5+5 and 5+10) and emailed travel agent.

I also notified those on my RollCalls  of available discount .

it took a few tries on his part but, he was able to get our YC bookings the additional discount, which includes $50pp OBC.

Edited by phissy

11 minutes ago, phissy said:

Too bad the discount cruises do not populate when you are logged in with member number.

since we have four cruises booked, have checked 5+discounts every week. 
Started in May for November 2021 cruises. We have 11/13 and 11/20 cruises. 

since having to manually enter member number each time, I now have mine memorized.

I found discount (5+5 and 5+10) and emailed travel agent.

I also notified those on my RollCalls  of available discount .

it took a few tries on his part but, he was able to get our YC bookings the additional discount, which includes $50pp OBC.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the website, Silver members and up get $50 OBC and it stacks with the $50 for Voyagers Club listed cruises. 

100 bucks pp is not so bad.

20 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding the website, Silver members and up get $50 OBC and it stacks with the $50 for Voyagers Club listed cruises. 

100 bucks pp is not so bad.

Absolutely correct!   Good Call.
I forgot about the additional $50 pp OBC. 
we are Diamond and yes, we have  OBC of $100pp on each cruise. This can be stacked with other offers. We have $400 OBC offer for the cruise and this is additional OBC.  So gratuities are definitely covered.

• Like 1

I think there's a continuing case of poor wording here.  There was a point where MSC eliminated the 5%+10% and 5%+15% sailings and only offered the 5%+5% with a bonus $50 OBC for everyone in addition to the Silver and above $50.  I've got bookings with the Voyages Selection 5%+5% that were booked last Summer when MSC still had the $50 OBC wording mentioned twice, like it is now, but so far they only have given the $50 OBC per silver and above - no bonus $50.  I've asked a couple times and Existing Reservations insists it is only $50 per person, silver and above.  I also took advantage of the up to $400 OBC promo rate last Summer which they did combine with the VS.

The current VS wording is poor and can be (mis)interpreted as total $100 OBC but I think that is now unlikely.  If someone has a recent booking confirmation showing the line item for the bonus $50 I'd like a picture.  The code for the standard VS Silver and above $50 OBC is SB050GVS.  On the one booking I was able to get MSC to give the bonus OBC the code was SB050USD.  The Terms at the bottom of the current VS pages states only one $50 OBC per Silver and above:

Terms and Conditions

The additional discount (5% or 15%) depends on the departures and markets. The Voyages Selection departures are not available for Welcome members. Silver, Gold and Black members receive an additional €/$50 shipboard credit on top of the discount on their Voyages Selection booking. Shipboard credit is issued per member and not per cabin. Shipboard credit is applied to the final bill at the end of the cruise. Shipboard credit does not apply to MSC Voyagers Club members under 18 years old. This awarded discount can be extended to all occupants of the cabin and cannot be combined with any other offer and promotion, with the exception of MSC Voyagers Club discount, unless otherwise specified in the details of the promotion itself. All points earned will be assigned approximately 10 days after the end of the cruise. Voyages Selection can be booked online, via our Call Center or through your Travel Agent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Até said:

I think there's a continuing case of poor wording here.  There was a point where MSC eliminated the 5%+10% and 5%+15% sailings and only offered the 5%+5% with a bonus $50 OBC for everyone in addition to the Silver and above $50.  I've got bookings with the Voyages Selection 5%+5% that were booked last Summer when MSC still had the $50 OBC wording mentioned twice, like it is now, but so far they only have given the $50 OBC per silver and above - no bonus $50.  I've asked a couple times and Existing Reservations insists it is only $50 per person, silver and above.  I also took advantage of the up to $400 OBC promo rate last Summer which they did combine with the VS.

The current VS wording is poor and can be (mis)interpreted as total $100 OBC but I think that is now unlikely.  If someone has a recent booking confirmation showing the line item for the bonus $50 I'd like a picture.  The code for the standard VS Silver and above $50 OBC is SB050GVS.  On the one booking I was able to get MSC to give the bonus OBC the code was SB050USD.  The Terms at the bottom of the current VS pages states only one $50 OBC per Silver and above:

Terms and Conditions

The additional discount (5% or 15%) depends on the departures and markets. The Voyages Selection departures are not available for Welcome members. Silver, Gold and Black members receive an additional €/$50 shipboard credit on top of the discount on their Voyages Selection booking. Shipboard credit is issued per member and not per cabin. Shipboard credit is applied to the final bill at the end of the cruise. Shipboard credit does not apply to MSC Voyagers Club members under 18 years old. This awarded discount can be extended to all occupants of the cabin and cannot be combined with any other offer and promotion, with the exception of MSC Voyagers Club discount, unless otherwise specified in the details of the promotion itself. All points earned will be assigned approximately 10 days after the end of the cruise. Voyages Selection can be booked online, via our Call Center or through your Travel Agent.

This has been my experience. 

I think a persistent TA, with screen grabs of their own website's wording, could squeeze another 50 out of them.

For my part, it is moot. I'm Classic and not yet Silver, with only one cruise on the record. However, the cruise we'll be on in January is on the Voyagers Club list. Since points are doubled, the YC booking (plus a bit of spending) will leapfrog us past Silver, to just squeak into Gold.

At that point, I would have a dog in this fight. However, the website paragraph, that can be very reasonably read as Selection list cruises and Silver-or-better OBCs stack, is followed by...

"limited-time offer."

MSC USA site has the following wording….”up to $50pp”. Since we booked YC, received the full amount. Other categories may not receive this amount .The loyalty bonus OBC states it is additional and will be added.

and yes, limited time offer.

355A4794-DD94-498A-972B-F561A27774C4.jpeg

Edited by phissy
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, phissy said:

MSC USA site has the following wording….”up to $50pp”. Since we booked YC, received the full amount. Other categories may not receive this amount .The loyalty bonus OBC states it is additional and will be added.

and yes, limited time offer.

355A4794-DD94-498A-972B-F561A27774C4.jpeg

I stand corrected...certainly looks like $100 and not $50...

7 hours ago, no1talks said:

Voyagers club silver and above get $50 pp. The extra $50 pp is for oceanview and above, not for inside cabins

Edited by drsel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, drsel said:

Voyagers club gold get $50 pp. The extra $50 pp is for oceanview and above

Thanks for clarification on what determines the amounts. Always wondered what the cut off was for the $50 amounts.🙏

28 minutes ago, phissy said:

Thanks for clarification on what determines the amounts. Always wondered what the cut off was for the $50 amounts.🙏

Hiya Phissy!

In case you missed it, the post you quoted, stating Gold as the cut-off for the 50 OBC, has been edited to read Voyagers Club Silver and up. 😕

Cheers!

Edited by no1talks
  • Like 1

I read not to sign up if you are trying to get a match. so I have not signed up but have also heard nothing back from MSC, no confirmation but no respond email, nothing. I would have liked my match before my sailing next week. Any advice?

I thought I read not to book the cruise until you get the match and after waiting 6 weeks with no response we booked but by then the cruise went up $50pp so we lost out double.   Joined the Voyagers Club and still nothing.  And now I'm  reading on another thread that they may change your cabin we painstakingly picked out.  I'm starting  to have second thoughts about my first cruise on MSC.

Don't get confused about the 5% 10% or 15% discount

when you choose your Cruise on the MSc US website and put your voyagers club number, the discount be automatically be applied and then you can see how much it is.

16 minutes ago, drsel said:

Don't get confused about the 5% 10% or 15% discount

when you choose your Cruise on the MSc US website and put your voyagers club number, the discount be automatically be applied and then you can see how much it is.

These are 2 different things...there is the standard 5% because of Voyager, but then certain cruises get you an *additional* 5-15%...but only if you book them through the Voyager club link.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, no1talks said:

Hiya Phissy!

In case you missed it, the post you quoted, stating Gold as the cut-off for the 50 OBC, has been edited to read Voyagers Club Silver and up. 😕

Cheers!

Thanks for pointing that out.  
looks like everything has been sorted. To sum up…

Voyagers Selection Voyages. 5+5,10, or 15 discounts

Silver, Gold and Diamond get additional $50pp OBC.

Oceanview and above cabins get $50pp and double points.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, alyssamma said:

These are 2 different things...there is the standard 5% because of Voyager, but then certain cruises get you an *additional* 5-15%...but only if you book them through the Voyager club link.

What is this voyagers club link?

If you book directly on the MSC US website or via a travel agent, will a cruise entitled to 5+5% or 5+10%,  get only the basic 5% discount?

Edited by drsel

19 minutes ago, drsel said:

What is this voyagers club link

If you book through site or TA, they will give you the 5% voyagers discount.

we booked with TA and when I found our cruises on Voyagers Discount page, I called him and he called to get the new price. One cruise went from 5 to 10%.

I took screenshot when I emailed him.

Should note  that your category must show availability. We are in YC and now they just show Deluxe Suite member prices.
on discount page…

You have to look up cruises in each category. +5, +10 or +15% discounts

On MSC site, top of page, click on Cruise Deals. Click on %. Then scroll down to Voyagers members , click on “learn more” orange box.

click on 5+5% picture. There you can also click on 10 or 15% to see those selected cruises.

If you find your cruise, you have to enter your member number before they show you Member Price.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, drsel said:

What is this voyagers club link?

If you book directly on the MSC US website or via a travel agent, will a cruise entitled to 5+5% or 5+10%,  get only the basic 5% discount?

This is a pet peeve of mine. If I log in with member number and search cruises, the price shown is the 5+ discount price.  They will not give you the additional discount price  unless you go through Cruise Deals , % then Voyagers Club process. You have to “hunt” it down on your own. And check every week or so, as it is always changing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, phissy said:

This is a pet peeve of mine. If I log in with member number and search cruises, the price shown is the 5+ discount price.  They will not give you the additional discount price  unless you go through Cruise Deals , % then Voyagers Club process. You have to “hunt” it down on your own. And check every week or so, as it is always changing.

Correct...this is what you have to do unfortunately. But your TA can do this for you...

Every time I tried to get a TA to add the Voyages Selection additional percent the TA reduced any perks I was getting from them.  I was told MSC reduces their commission amount when passenger books under the VS discounts.

Very true, however, I found lower prices than he was able to see.
he escalated this until they confirmed the new price. It seems the website is about a week ahead of their master list.

Here is an example of pricing on same cruise on MSC

November 13, Meraviglia 

YC Deluxe Suite

no voyager number.      $5478

Voyager number            $5219

5% discount page.         $4973

• Like 1