Caribbean Princess Drydock?

ceilidh1

On 8/29/2021 at 7:19 AM, chengkp75 said:

Yes, Polaris went aground, and no a drydock survey would not have prevented this.  However, many ships run aground each year, but they don't break in two.  Yes, the other ships were inspected by class societies, and still failed.  But, just like anything in life, nothing is perfect, you don't score 100% all the time, so incidents like this happen.  But, by frequent inspection, the number of these incidents is minimized.  Also, you can't inspect every item (like every single inch of weld on a ship's hull) every time, so you use science and statistics to determine the most critical spots and check those every time, and get a representative sample of other areas.

I knew who you meant.  The ISM is designed to prevent people from making those bad decisions, and  without using a "secret shopper" (hard to do with a crew of 20), a systemic history of making those bad decisions will be shown in ISM documentation.  We live with ISM every minute of every working day.

As for Viking Sky.  You will note that the Captain received no punishment for the incident, nor condemnation from the Norwegian Maritime Agency.  Why?  Because he followed the ISM, as it was written at the time.  Schettino, on the other hand, did not follow ISM, and was therefore held responsible.  Was the Viking ISM modified due to the Sky incident, of course it was, both with regards to proper engine maintenance and heavy weather procedures.  That is what the ISM is all about, it does not place blame for incidents, it uses them to study how to prevent them from happening again.  Blame never improves the system, it just removes the cause of the immediate problem.  If your company's "ISM" places sanctions, it is not a real ISM type of system.  If I follow all of the procedures set out by the company, as approved by the third party auditor (class), as meeting the requirements of the IMO convention, and things still go wrong, they will not look to fire me, they will ask my help in determining new policies and procedures to prevent it from happening again.  If I am facing sanctions for my actions, I may not be as forthcoming in giving the exact details of how and why the incident happened, I'd be more interested in covering it up.

And, as I've noted above, the class societies look at way more, way more often than merely a twice in 5 year drydock rule.  They look at the ship top to bottom, and look at the crew (I believe I stated this about various conventions that have nothing to do with ship construction), but the drydocking requirement is needed to ensure the "foundation of the building" (the hull under water) is safe to support everything else.

Thank you for all your information!  VERY interresting and educational reading.  Just a question if you know of other class society requirements beyond hull, propulsion requirements.  Structural integrety, operational systems ( way too many I a layman can even compute).  Or are these monitored by other groups.  Im sure and proud of a man like yourself that knows his trade.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2022 at 9:17 PM, rorndorff said:

thank you!  I had heard propulsion issue resolution, but wasn't sure if any of the guest experience was on tap.  Thanks again!

The Princess rep I spoke to yesterday said they were also doing work inside the cabins and making more cabins "connecting" cabins for families. I guess we will find out in about a month what has been done.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, swdke said:

What is being done on the Caribbean Princess in dry dock.

Propulsion systems is one common answer we got on board in early March.  Also some cosmetics - carpeting here and there - and maybe some connecting doors between cabins.  

Nothing in need of cosmetic work jumped out at us.

Edited by cltnccruisers
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 9:07 PM, rick160158 said:

I had read somewhere that the dry dock was for routine engine and mechanical maintenance. Nothing to do with inside the ship.

You are 100% correct. 

In December I became friends with my floor supervisor and my cabin attendant on Dolphin CC. 

I still keep in touch with them weekly. One has gone back to India the floor supervisor is still on the ship. I sent him a What's App our usual way to communicate and asked him. He confirmed to me yesterday that what you say is correct.

46 minutes ago, IJustWantToGo36 said:

FIX THE CLOCKS

They also should replace some carpeting, some cabins still have the original carpeting from 2004 when the Caribbean Princess first entered service.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

They also should replace some carpeting, some cabins still have the original carpeting from 2004 when the Caribbean Princess first entered service.

was on CD in Feb asked FC person

Fix clocks was real- also interior upgrades, no structural work  (removing fusion lounge is our biggie  we are safe till next time)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, runner2013 said:

Has anybody been able to find out what they have been doing to spruce her up? I believe they were working on the engines? (correct me if i'm wrong)  but i'm curious what else they have addressed.

This was not a regularly scheduled drydock.  It was announced rather close-in and is primarily to fix engine issues and address some plumbing issues as well.  Any other work being done is merely a by-product of the downtime.  Do not expect any new furnishings, revamping of venues etc.  Some carpet/upholstery may get replaced based on normal maintenance cycles/budget and some furniture surfaces may get refinished as needed, but nothing earth shattering or to the point where we would be "Wow look how different she is!".

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

This was not a regularly scheduled drydock.  It was announced rather close-in and is primarily to fix engine issues and address some plumbing issues as well.  Any other work being done is merely a by-product of the downtime.  Do not expect any new furnishings, revamping of venues etc.  Some carpet/upholstery may get replaced based on normal maintenance cycles/budget and some furniture surfaces may get refinished as needed, but nothing earth shattering or to the point where we would be "Wow look how different she is!".

hmmmm

This drydock was on the schedule posted 

SHIP

DRYDOCK/WETDOCK SCHEDULE

MOST RECENT

Caribbean Princess April 7 - 25, 2022  Portland

April 13 - May 11, 2019

Coral Princess December 1 - December 15, 2021  Cadiz January 21 - January 30, 2019
Crown Princess

October 2 - 19, 2022

Portland January 6 - 20, 2021
Diamond Princess January 22 - 30, 2022  Singapore January 19 - February 1, 2019 
Emerald Princess October 10 - 26, 2022  Brest March 29 - April 14, 2019
Enchanted Princess March 25 - April 15, 2023 Marseille N/A
Grand Princess April 25 - May 11, 2022  Portland March 5 - March 18, 2019
Island Princess August 17 - 31, 2021 Marseille November 26 - December 6, 2017
Majestic Princess September 26 - October 3, 2023  Ogden Point February 24 - March 11, 2020
Regal Princess April 16 - 30, 2022 Marseille April 17 - April 30, 2017
Royal Princess October 3 - 15, 2021  Singapore December 1 - December 7, 2018
Ruby Princess October 3 - 15, 2021  Portland September 30 - October 14, 2018
Sapphire Princess April 10 - May 1, 2023 Portland December 31 - January 17, 2021
Sky Princess April 15 - May 6, 2023 Brest N/A

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, that said:

hmmmm

This drydock was on the schedule posted 

SHIP

DRYDOCK/WETDOCK SCHEDULE

MOST RECENT

Caribbean Princess April 7 - 25, 2022  Portland

April 13 - May 11, 2019

Coral Princess December 1 - December 15, 2021  Cadiz January 21 - January 30, 2019
Crown Princess

October 2 - 19, 2022

Portland January 6 - 20, 2021
Diamond Princess January 22 - 30, 2022  Singapore January 19 - February 1, 2019 
Emerald Princess October 10 - 26, 2022  Brest March 29 - April 14, 2019
Enchanted Princess March 25 - April 15, 2023 Marseille N/A
Grand Princess April 25 - May 11, 2022  Portland March 5 - March 18, 2019
Island Princess August 17 - 31, 2021 Marseille November 26 - December 6, 2017
Majestic Princess September 26 - October 3, 2023  Ogden Point February 24 - March 11, 2020
Regal Princess April 16 - 30, 2022 Marseille April 17 - April 30, 2017
Royal Princess October 3 - 15, 2021  Singapore December 1 - December 7, 2018
Ruby Princess October 3 - 15, 2021  Portland September 30 - October 14, 2018
Sapphire Princess April 10 - May 1, 2023 Portland December 31 - January 17, 2021
Sky Princess April 15 - May 6, 2023 Brest N/A

Right on time

Cheers

Aactually it was NOT the originally scheduled date - That list was UPDATED in october 2021.  There were numerous cruises cancelled as a result of the drydock announcement which was sent out in early August 2021.  The cancelled cruises were announced and available for booking  on April 29th 2020. Planned/routine drydocks usually leave a "gap" in the schedule when new bookings are opened for sale.  This replaced her originally intended 2023 drydock and caused booked consumers to be displaced, so is in effect unplanned

cancellation/drydock notice sent on 8/3/2021: https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/cancelled-cruises-caribbean-spring-2022.pdf

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72