Norwegian Post Cruise Testing --Are u Kidding Me?

Dexter2811

Like most I have spoken w/ Norwegian several times. We are scheduled on second cruise out of Athens 8/1. My main concern is an asymptotic + at the testing done the last day so we can come back to the US. First call: nice young man read from FAQ: if u test +, Norwegian will ensure ur return home. 5 days ago I called again about other things and to confirm end of cruise testing. Whole different experience. What  happens if I test positive at the end of the cruise? RESPONSE: That's on you.... That's not what I was told last call. RESPONSE: I can't help that.....Ok, well what's the procedure for people who test positive? RESPONSE:  "Ask the Greek Government". Game changer. Clear that either this is either an I'll informed employee or Norwegian's commitment ends when the last drink and spa tx have cleared the credit card. Good Luck to all

You continue to talk to minimum wage call center personnel. They don't "know" what the right answer is. They can only "google" their computer and see what they come up with. Whether you are on a ship or just on vacation, the United States of America won't let you back in without a clean COVID test (can be an antigen rapid test) that you will have to submit when you check-in for your flight. No negative test, no fly. 

NCL's website says that they will coordinate passage home. It does not say that they will pay for a medivac from Athens to Philly. It also says the the focus of their plan is to "coordinate with" the local authorities.

Debarkation Scenarios

We have developed a thorough mobilization and response plan focused on collaborating with local authorities and coordinating safe passage home for all guests and crew should the need arise. We have also established relationships with onshore medical institutions and enhanced our telemedicine consultation capabilities.

The contract you signed says 

(f) Guest Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Guest understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Guest has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Guest tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Guest as well as members of Guest’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Guest with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. Each such Guest is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Guest for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

Thank you. I read my contract and I'm aware that I signed it.. The contract is clear they don't have to do anything. I was in search of - and expect the customer service personnel to know- the plan for when this happens.  The steps that will be followed. You will call this number....you will directed here....something like that. The fact that I wasn't directed to that info is troubling. 

7 hours ago, Dexter2811 said:

Thank you. I read my contract and I'm aware that I signed it.. The contract is clear they don't have to do anything. I was in search of - and expect the customer service personnel to know- the plan for when this happens.  The steps that will be followed. You will call this number....you will directed here....something like that. The fact that I wasn't directed to that info is troubling. 

I imagine that that would vary dependant upon which port you are in and that the ship crew and port authorities would assist you if that occasion arose. You should also have travel insurance to cover your costs 

• Like 2

Remember that the NCL consultants aren't always aware of every policy or nuance and it's very common to get different answers any time you call/chat.

Per the current "Sail Safe" FAQ's:

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a full refund?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home.

So I would think that if you tested positive prior to getting off the ship, this would apply.  Once off the ship, you are on your own - so if you test positive at the airport, after a negative test on-board for example.  Possible difference of interpretation of  "end of cruise".

• Like 1

Just think when they take you off ship down that service lift for the last time from the Haven, you hit the crowds and realty, and you’re on your own….

They on the other hand are waiting for the new batch!

18 hours ago, Dexter2811 said:

So,,, the minimum wage call center person is not in a position to financially obligate the cruise line to pay for anything in response to a random call from a customer. I think everyone knows that. And taking a popular opinion poll by calling multiple call center people until you get someone to mis-speak does not commit the cruise line to anything. 

The way the cruise line handles things will change as time goes on. It only took one emergency medivac from the Bahamas last month for Royal Caribbean to change their commitment to pay for the medivac to "if you are unvaccinated, you have to provide a copy of your travel insurance that will pay for the medivac before you can board the ship, cuz we're not paying for your medivac any longer". 

And it only took one covid positive case with a fully vaccinated passenger on a ship for Royal to change from "vaccinated passengers do not need any pre-cruise testing" to "every passenger must show up with a negative PCR test" to check in at the terminal. 

I expect to see rapidly changing protocols on NCL once they resume cruising and "stuff happens".

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, the minimum wage call center person is not in a position to financially obligate the cruise line to pay for anything in response to a random call from a customer. I think everyone knows that. And taking a popular opinion poll by calling multiple call center people until you get someone to mis-speak does not commit the cruise line to anything. 

The way the cruise line handles things will change as time goes on. It only took one emergency medivac from the Bahamas last month for Royal Caribbean to change their commitment to pay for the medivac to "if you are unvaccinated, you have to provide a copy of your travel insurance that will pay for the medivac before you can board the ship, cuz we're not paying for your medivac any longer". 

And it only took one covid positive case with a fully vaccinated passenger on a ship for Royal to change from "vaccinated passengers do not need any pre-cruise testing" to "every passenger must show up with a negative PCR test" to check in at the terminal. 

I expect to see rapidly changing protocols on NCL once they resume cruising and "stuff happens".

this.

this is a situation that is constantly in flux with protocols changing all the time. I doubt that their customer service people can keep up. 

IMO, there’s huge differences to pre/post cruise Covid testing and mid cruise Covid testing. Post cruise, NCL isn’t testing you because they want to, they are doing it as a courtesy because the US government requires you get tested before you fly home. I’m not sure why they would have any more responsibility than they would if you flight home got cancelled. Once cruise is over, u are on your own. A mid cruise test where they are testing you because they require and suddenly stuck with a positive passenger in a country they brought them to, is completely different.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Post cruise, NCL isn’t testing you because they want to, they are doing it as a courtesy because the US government requires you get tested before you fly home. 

If I fly home from my cruise from Seattle to Chicago, I don't believe that the US Government requires me to get tested for Covid.  Am I mistaken about this?

So no confusion here...

The contract you signed says 

(f) Guest Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Guest understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Guest has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Guest tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Guest as well as members of Guest’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Guest with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. Each such Guest is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Guest for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger.

____________________________________________________________________________________

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a full refund?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home.

Unless Im missing something in reading these, which I may be and if so I apologize. However, these appear to have the same requirements but different resolutions. 

Why would they have 1 thing in the contract & different wording on their website -   Which will they follow when push comes to shove?

Am I missing the differences here? 

55 minutes ago, RumRunner2021 said:

If I fly home from my cruise from Seattle to Chicago, I don't believe that the US Government requires me to get tested for Covid.  Am I mistaken about this?

the US government requires Covid testing prior to international flights. The OP is cruising in Greece.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

the US government requires Covid testing prior to international flights. The OP is cruising in Greece.

My bad.  For some reason I thought NCL was doing testing on all cruises prior to disembarkation.  It appears that I was (fortunately) mistaken.

6 hours ago, sanger727 said:

this.

this is a situation that is constantly in flux with protocols changing all the time. I doubt that their customer service people can keep up. 

IMO, there’s huge differences to pre/post cruise Covid testing and mid cruise Covid testing. Post cruise, NCL isn’t testing you because they want to, they are doing it as a courtesy because the US government requires you get tested before you fly home. I’m not sure why they would have any more responsibility than they would if you flight home got cancelled. Once cruise is over, u are on your own. A mid cruise test where they are testing you because they require and suddenly stuck with a positive passenger in a country they brought them to, is completely different.

We were required to get tested regardless of flights. If you don't get tested, they announced you will not be able to be disembarked. So it isn't just as a courtesy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, Dexter2811 said:

Like most I have spoken w/ Norwegian several times. We are scheduled on second cruise out of Athens 8/1. My main concern is an asymptotic + at the testing done the last day so we can come back to the US. First call: nice young man read from FAQ: if u test +, Norwegian will ensure ur return home. 5 days ago I called again about other things and to confirm end of cruise testing. Whole different experience. What  happens if I test positive at the end of the cruise? RESPONSE: That's on you.... That's not what I was told last call. RESPONSE: I can't help that.....Ok, well what's the procedure for people who test positive? RESPONSE:  "Ask the Greek Government". Game changer. Clear that either this is either an I'll informed employee or Norwegian's commitment ends when the last drink and spa tx have cleared the credit card. Good Luck to all

Sorry but I do not know anyone named "U" or "UR", but I doubt anyone at all is joking about the subject.

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 9:49 PM, greatestvalue said:

So no confusion here...

The contract you signed says 

(f) Guest Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Guest understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Guest has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, Guest tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Guest as well as members of Guest’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, any such Guest with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. Each such Guest is responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Guest for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by any Passenger.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home.

Unless Im missing something in reading these, which I may be and if so I apologize. However, these appear to have the same requirements but different resolutions. 

Why would they have 1 thing in the contract & different wording on their website -   Which will they follow when push comes to shove?

Am I missing the differences here? 

I have noticed that too and emailed my NCL consultant as this difference prevents me from agreeing to T&C of my upcoming cruise. I haven't received a reply yet, but from speaking to him while I was booking the cruise, any quarantine, medical treatment if you test positive and flight home was meant to be covered by the cruise line.