Embarking and testing experience

jamiebarnzy

Good afternoon I read a number of different post and reviews on how embarking is now post lockdown. I am Interested to heard the experience of wide range of people who have travel of late.

1. Did you use CPS and test in the car or arrive by another means and test on foot

2. What time did you arrive. 
3. How close to your allocated time did you arrive. (I normally arrive within 30mins of my given time) 

4. How long did you wait

5. Was the glass house open for lurch on embarkation day. 
6. Do you do your “walk around muster drill” as soon as you board. 

I thank you for your time 

kind Regards 

Edited by jamiebarnzy

Hi we found the whole experience really easy

yes we used CPS

we arrived at 1,15

30 mins before our allocated time

we waited 30 mins at testing centre a lot of people arrived at that time

didnt notice if the glass house was open

we walked to our muster station as soon as we boarded

our covid test results came within 10 mins of taking the test

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I concur with the  above. FYI it took 1.5 hrs from arriving at the testing centre to get on board - approx 30 min wait at the centre, 30 min wait for the test result, 30 min wait to go through security and then board after we got the results. We arrived at 12 for 12.30 testing time. It was busier than I expected as a lot of people had come very early. ( I heard people waiting for test results say their boarding time was 4.45 and didn't want to wait all that time.)  I believe P&O are stricter now with boarding time. BTW you need to have your paperwork especially proof of vacination ready to show at the test centre. I was timing how long the tests took and some seemed to take longer and I could see they were struggling to get the paperwork together.

• Like 2

Hi there. We went though the process last Sunday and basically the same as lindylooellaloise. The testing facility was busy but one thing I would recommend is to have a paper copy of your COVID vaccination including the dates you got jabbed. I only photoshot the QR code and had to connect via the App at the facility, not a good signal but did get the required info after a few attempts for my wife and myself. Everything else went smoothly and we both enjoyed the 4 days cruising. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Bin man said:

When driving from the mayflower using the cps and your boarding at  the ocean terminal which way do they ask you to drive ? 

I should imagine out of dock gate 10 and then enter Ocean Terminal at Dock Gate 4 as normal. That is why they are asking people parking with CPS to enter at Dock Gate 20 to avoid traffic congestion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

When driving from the mayflower using the cps and your boarding at  the ocean terminal which way do they ask you to drive ? 

Our satnav took us through Dock Gate 4 but we just drove down the road to Mayflower with no issues

4 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I concur with the  above. FYI it took 1.5 hrs from arriving at the testing centre to get on board - approx 30 min wait at the centre, 30 min wait for the test result, 30 min wait to go through security and then board after we got the results. We arrived at 12 for 12.30 testing time. It was busier than I expected as a lot of people had come very early. ( I heard people waiting for test results say their boarding time was 4.45 and didn't want to wait all that time.)  I believe P&O are stricter now with boarding time. BTW you need to have your paperwork especially proof of vacination ready to show at the test centre. I was timing how long the tests took and some seemed to take longer and I could see they were struggling to get the paperwork together.

Thank you for your advise, did you use CPS? 

I thought I'd provide some more information on the drive through testing process:

You are asked to arrive from Dock Gate 20 (Millbrook). It is then a fairly long drive inside the port perimeter.  You are asked to arrive this way to avoid any confusion / queue with people heading for terminals 101 and 102. Follow the signs for Cruise Terminals / Berth 106. As you approach, Prenetics (P&O's chosen partner) have a big marquee set up in a car park just South of W Bay Road, before you reach the turning for Imperial Way. Its very clear to see.

On arrival you will be asked to queue in your car. There are four lanes and from personal experience they move fairly equally. Whilst in the queue someone will walk around and check your passport for identification and your covid app / paper confirmation.

When you arrive at the marquee, you will be asked for your name, date of birth and mobile number (check this as they write it down). They will then give you a single use bracelet which confirms you have had the test done. Two people approach each car, one on each side. Once done, move forward and gowned testers will do your nose swab. They take the swab away for testing.

Exit the site into Imperial Way and turn right to the roundabout. Exit via Dock Gate 10. Drive to Ocean Terminal as usual. On arrival, you be directed based upon whether you have a wrist band or not. Anyone parking with CPS will be required to show their wrist band. Once parked, head for the terminal.

In the terminal they will check your passport / insurance details and then ask you to sit and wait for your test result. They were showing people to seats so that (in theory) the seating should clear section by section for cleaning / re-use. Please wait 20-30 minutes before querying with the staff if they have your result. You should get it in a text message before this.

Once you have your confirmation you can formally check in as usual. You'll either have a boarding pass or will be given one. Proceed to security.

Clearance to enter the ship is only once all cabins are ready as the new muster process requires visiting your muster station and then watching the briefing on TV in your cabin.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

One final point, please arrive on time but not early. Check-in times have been allocated to provide enough capacity at each stage. Arriving early will only slow everyone down.

If you are a suite passenger, highest loyalty tier or have some other reason for priority boarding, P&O will be aware and have factored this into their numbers.

Following passenger feedback, I understand that the terminal will be enforcing the arrival time on your ticket / boarding pass to ensure everyone receives a positive experience.

The time on your ticket/boarding is pass is the arrive at the terminal time. It is not the time you should expect to be onboard ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

There have been a couple of occasions when the IT has gone down at the testing centre which has caused queues such as you've seen. But by far the biggest issue is people turning up early.

I agree if you look on other site such as You Tube there are films showing security turning cars away at before 11am  and testing does not start until midday . People are given an arrival time but chose to ignore it then blame P&O . If they follow your advice then the delays would be a lot shorter . You would not expect a taxi to turn up at your door 3 hours before expected , people need to use common sense in these difficult times .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Thankyou for that Mocrochip as we have 4.30 hrs drive if we drive on the day that give us an idea on timings 

There are lots of places close by to get a coffee so give yourself a spare hour as traffic getting into Southampton is bad on the best of days..

21 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Thankyou for that Mocrochip as we have 4.30 hrs drive if we drive on the day that give us an idea on timings 

We were on Brittania a couple of weeks ago and are on again on Sunday. It took over 2 hours from arriving at Mayflower to boarding the ship. I hope they do better on Sunday as we have an arrival time at 2.30. No afternoon tea for us and slots in the speciality restaurants and entertainment will be full up. If so, not a happy bunny.

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

One final point, please arrive on time but not early. Check-in times have been allocated to provide enough capacity at each stage. Arriving early will only slow everyone down.

If you are a suite passenger, highest loyalty tier or have some other reason for priority boarding, P&O will be aware and have factored this into their numbers.

Following passenger feedback, I understand that the terminal will be enforcing the arrival time on your ticket / boarding pass to ensure everyone receives a positive experience.

The time on your ticket/boarding is pass is the arrive at the terminal time. It is not the time you should expect to be onboard ship.

Thank you for your input unfortunately Cunard must not be adhering to the same system. We are higher tier in their CWC and get priority boarding but have been given a time of check-in of 2-30pm. So by the time you have been tested and proceeded to Ocean Terminal and waited for test resuly and gone through security I should imagine that it will be 4ish. They then say you can have Afternoon Tea when first sitting for dinner is 5-30pm. What makes it worse is it is Cunard's first cruise so should be no delay preparing the ship.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

There are lots of places close by to get a coffee so give yourself a spare hour as traffic getting into Southampton is bad on the best of days..

Trouble is you are not supposed to eat or drink anything at least 30 minutes before the test or else it could be inaccurate reading.

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I thought I'd provide some more information on the drive through testing process:

You are asked to arrive from Dock Gate 20 (Millbrook). It is then a fairly long drive inside the port perimeter.  You are asked to arrive this way to avoid any confusion / queue with people heading for terminals 101 and 102. Follow the signs for Cruise Terminals / Berth 106. As you approach, Prenetics (P&O's chosen partner) have a big marquee set up in a car park just South of W Bay Road, before you reach the turning for Imperial Way. Its very clear to see.

On arrival you will be asked to queue in your car. There are four lanes and from personal experience they move fairly equally. Whilst in the queue someone will walk around and check your passport for identification and your covid app / paper confirmation.

When you arrive at the marquee, you will be asked for your name, date of birth and mobile number (check this as they write it down). They will then give you a single use bracelet which confirms you have had the test done. Two people approach each car, one on each side. Once done, move forward and gowned testers will do your nose swab. They take the swab away for testing.

Exit the site into Imperial Way and turn right to the roundabout. Exit via Dock Gate 10. Drive to Ocean Terminal as usual. On arrival, you be directed based upon whether you have a wrist band or not. Anyone parking with CPS will be required to show their wrist band. Once parked, head for the terminal.

In the terminal they will check your passport / insurance details and then ask you to sit and wait for your test result. They were showing people to seats so that (in theory) the seating should clear section by section for cleaning / re-use. Please wait 20-30 minutes before querying with the staff if they have your result. You should get it in a text message before this.

Once you have your confirmation you can formally check in as usual. You'll either have a boarding pass or will be given one. Proceed to security.

Clearance to enter the ship is only once all cabins are ready as the new muster process requires visiting your muster station and then watching the briefing on TV in your cabin.

Enjoy your cruise.

Moley, I assume that passengers using other car parking companies also follow this same procedure.

9 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

No you have to drive and enter the port at Dock Gate 20.

Officially you have to enter the port at Dock Gate 20.

If the testing car park is full, they will only accept cars that have been queued back towards dock gate 20. They can handle queuing cars on one side of the road but both causes grid-lock quickly. Additionally, if cars queue from the entrance towards Dock Gate 10, you would quickly block the exit route from the testing centre.

Finally, MSC, Disney and RCI all have different arrangements which is why Dock Gate 10 is trying to be kept clear for them.

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Moley, I assume that passengers using other car parking companies also follow this same procedure.

There is very limited walk through capacity so I would suggest anyone arriving by car (e.g. CPS, Triangle) goes to the drive-through testing centre.

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Trouble is you are not supposed to eat or drink anything at least 30 minutes before the test or else it could be inaccurate reading.

True with a PCR which does a throat swab however the LFT tests that are being done are nasal only so should not be affected. Even so, have a coffee. By the time you get back to your car, drive to Dock Gate 20, have documentation checked, queue for the test - it will be best part of 30 minutes.

25 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Thank you for your input unfortunately Cunard must not be adhering to the same system. We are higher tier in their CWC and get priority boarding but have been given a time of check-in of 2-30pm. So by the time you have been tested and proceeded to Ocean Terminal and waited for test resuly and gone through security I should imagine that it will be 4ish. They then say you can have Afternoon Tea when first sitting for dinner is 5-30pm. What makes it worse is it is Cunard's first cruise so should be no delay preparing the ship.

I believe your priority boarding privileges take priority. I would suggest calling Cunard to check, or message them via FB.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We were on Brittania a couple of weeks ago and are on again on Sunday. It took over 2 hours from arriving at Mayflower to boarding the ship. I hope they do better on Sunday as we have an arrival time at 2.30. No afternoon tea for us and slots in the speciality restaurants and entertainment will be full up. If so, not a happy bunny.

Please bear with the Ship's crew, they have no influence over the time it takes through testing and the terminal. They want you onboard enjoying yourself (and spending money) asap but health and wellbeing is the number one priority.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1