Is it any problem having a room at the very front of ship

slo mo

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Your eyes are better than mine.  I lose all colors in the plethora of lights.  The good news is while I may not be able to distinguish the navigation lights, there would be no doubt a cruise ship is there.   

360879701_ScreenShot2021-10-23at7_21_16PM.png.13e0cefd45360ad0cdfa7c5b47625762.png

This picture is clearly taken from the aft of the ship. The starboard (green) running light would only be seen if you were anywhere from dead ahead of the ship to 112.5 degrees from the bow - and this has to be at least 125 degrees - and the port (red) light would only be seen at all from the other side of the ship.  

Yes, it sure looks like a cruise ship - and the lack of any visible red or green running light indicates that it is heading away from you —— sort of the point of those lights. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

This picture is clearly taken from the aft of the ship. The starboard (green) running light would only be seen if you were anywhere from dead ahead of the ship to 112.5 degrees from the bow - and this has to be at least 125 degrees - and the port (red) light would only be seen at all from the other side of the ship.  

Yes, it sure looks like a cruise ship - and the lack of any visible red or green running light indicates that it is heading away from you —— sort of the point of those lights. 

That makes sense to me, thanks.   I could never work as a ship lookout.  I just cannot discern the colors with that many lights going on, even if the ship were heading directly towards me.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

That makes sense to me, thanks.   I could never work as a ship lookout.  I just cannot discern the colors with that many lights going on, even if the ship were heading directly towards me.   

You’d be surprised at the way running lights stand out at night - they are the ONLY red and green lights of any brightness  on a ship.   If you see both at the same time, you want to think about moving - because that would mean only one thing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You’d be surprised at the way running lights stand out at night - they are the ONLY red and green lights of any brightness  on a ship.   If you see both at the same time, you want to think about moving - because that would mean only one thing.

Yes I understand the concept and probably would be surprised, if I could see them.  I simply cannot see them.   Always been that way.   

On 10/24/2021 at 11:57 AM, navybankerteacher said:

You do know that the running lights on a ship, even a cruise ship, are only 60-100 watt bulbs?

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2021 at 8:57 AM, navybankerteacher said:

The Masthead Lights possibly, but the sidelights and sternlight, especially on cruise ships are often a challenge to make out. Minimum visibility for sidelights/sternlight is only 3 miles, whereas Masthead lights are 6 miles.

As the Chief mentioned, they are just regular 60 or 100 W incandescent bulbs - at least they were still incandescent before I retired. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

As the Chief mentioned, they are just regular 60 or 100 W incandescent bulbs - at least they were still incandescent before I retired. 

We've tried compact fluorescent in the nav lights, but when they fail, they don't register on the "bulb out" panel.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

You do know that the running lights on a ship, even a cruise ship, are only 60-100 watt bulbs?

Of course, but they do stand out up to their REQUIRED three mile range (and, in practice a hell of a lot further) -- and to my experience they are the only red and green lights generally shown -- and while three miles gives very little searoom, they do serve a purpose.

Edited by navybankerteacher

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

We've tried compact fluorescent in the nav lights, but when they fail, they don't register on the "bulb out" panel.

OMG!! they might have to check the nav lights when doing round, reporting, "Lights are bright" Haven't heard that for years from a Seaman.