Is it any problem having a room at the very front of ship

slo mo

On 8/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, donaldsc said:

I wonder if the description of the room includes a statement that "room curtains must be kept closed at night".  I seriously doubt it and most people would vbe totally unaware of this requirement.  I would be extremely unhappy if I booked that room and was told that had to keep my curtains closed.    I like to look outside of a room even if it is sort of dark and I can't see much.  

DON

There is signage in the room.  

On 8/4/2021 at 6:20 PM, evandbob said:

Hopefully the anchors won't be dropping when you dock at a pier in port.  They should only be deployed in tender ports in open water.  The vibrations are usually from side thrusters, fore and aft, which guide the ship towards the dock.  If the ship arrives at a port in the early am, these might disturb one's sleep.

Waves hitting the ship cross wise in heavy seas can also be jarring.  That's why we prefer mid deck, mid ship balconies.

Prior to approaching the dock, a prudent Master will always walk at least 1 anchor out and have it ready for letting go, rather than dropping it from the Hawse Pipe in an emergency. Even when walked out it makes noise.

I have also docked at a number of berths around the World, where we have also used an anchor.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Prior to approaching the dock, a prudent Master will always walk at least 1 anchor out and have it ready for letting go, rather than dropping it from the Hawse Pipe in an emergency. Even when walked out it makes noise.

I have also docked at a number of berths around the World, where we have also used an anchor.

The only way to accomplish a Med-moor --- where you back into the pier or quay to minimize the space used, making it possible for a number of ships to be "alongside" - in the space one might occupy otherwise.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The only way to accomplish a Med-moor --- where you back into the pier or quay to minimize the space used, making it possible for a number of ships to be "alongside" - in the space one might occupy otherwise.

Affirmative, this was a common manoeuvre in Valletta. The anchor was also used in Port Said when docking at the "Snake" and in Acapulco.

On 8/1/2021 at 9:13 PM, navybankerteacher said:

There are no passenger cabins at "...the very front of the ship...".  (The pointy end.).  On lower decks forward you will be near the chain locker (anchor chain), and if the ship does drop anchor while you are in your cabin you will certainly hear the clanking --- you will most likely feel heavy vibrations as well.    Barring that, forward cabins tend to be quieter than those all the way aft - as they are above the screws or azipods - which can cause noisy vibrations.

Just before the pandemic, we were on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam at the very front of the ship, with a picture window facing forward.   We enjoyed it....I think it was the deck just above the spa and was called an ocean view spa room.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, Gatorzzzz said:

Yes, I do think was signage in the cabin , but it never prevented use from using the balcony after sunset. 

You must have had your cabin's lights off.  Light from the forward facing cabins interferes with the vision of the Bridge crew members.  In my experience, there will be a knock on your door with a cabin steward (or someone else) informing you to turn off the lights and/or close the curtains.  And, it will not be your choice as to whether you do or do not.  

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You must have had your cabin's lights off.  Light from the forward facing cabins interferes with the vision of the Bridge crew members.  In my experience, there will be a knock on your door with a cabin steward (or someone else) informing you to turn off the lights and/or close the curtains.  And, it will not be your choice as to whether you do or do not.  

Correct. Failure to follow the lawfull order of the ship's Master, with respect to safety of navigation, will have you disembarked at the next port.

First knock and notification is most likely a cabin steward. If the lights/curtains aren't rectified, the next one is probably Security.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grest said:

Just before the pandemic, we were on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam at the very front of the ship, with a picture window facing forward.   We enjoyed it....I think it was the deck just above the spa and was called an ocean view spa room.

The "very front of the ship" is the bow -- there are no cabins there.  The most forward cabins with windows facing forward are in the superstructure - probably at least 100 feet aft of the bow.  Those within the hull are still aft of the bow, and not at the "very front of the ship".

On 8/1/2021 at 8:43 PM, SuiteTraveler said:

Also, if your cabin is forward facing or below the bridge, you may be required to keep your curtains closed at night for visibility from the bridge.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, donaldsc said:

I wonder if the description of the room includes a statement that "room curtains must be kept closed at night".  I seriously doubt it and most people would vbe totally unaware of this requirement.  I would be extremely unhappy if I booked that room and was told that had to keep my curtains closed.    I like to look outside of a room even if it is sort of dark and I can't see much.  

We've sailed twice on NCL in forward-facing staterooms directly under the bridge on two Panama Canal cruises.  It was a fabulous experience.  Yes, we had to keep the curtains drawn at night, but so what?  You really can't see anything through the forward-facing windows at night.   And the darkness of the entire bow area once out on our balcony was a huge bonus -- the stargazing was fabulous.  We could see the Milky Way.    And, in the wee hours before dawn as we neared the Panama Canal, we could see the  Southern Cross.  This was in the Northern Hemisphere  -- we were in that small part of the Northern Hemisphere where you can see the Southern Cross if the conditions are just right. That was extra special.   (There was no problem going out on the balcony as long as we turned off the lights in our cabin when we stepped out, so that no light would leak onto the balcony.  We briefly used a teeny flashlight shielded and pointed down as we stepped out and back in, for reasons of safety.)

BTW, if I recall correctly, there was a card in the stateroom letting us know to close the curtains at night, and, in any event, we knew that would be the case when we booked.   

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

And the darkness of the entire bow area once out on our balcony was a huge bonus -- the stargazing was fabulous.  We could see the Milky Way.    And, in the wee hours before dawn as we neared the Panama Canal, we could see the  Southern Cross.  This was in the Northern Hemisphere  -- we were in that small part of the Northern Hemisphere where you can see the Southern Cross if the conditions are just right. That was extra special

One of my delights of cruising is being able to witness the splendor of the heavens on those nights when the sky is clear.  While a balcony cabin helps one to be able to do this, the best view is from a totally dark area topside on a ship.  That area has become most difficult to find on modern cruise ships.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

One of my delights of cruising is being able to witness the splendor of the heavens on those nights when the sky is clear.  While a balcony cabin helps one to be able to do this, the best view is from a totally dark area topside on a ship.  That area has become most difficult to find on modern cruise ships.  

It certainly has.   Which is why our forward-facing cabin directly under the bridge was so great.  Pretty much total darkness from the balcony.  And since there was nothing between us and the bow, while we didn't have the view of the entire sky that one would on a top deck, we had a great 180-degree view.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 7:50 PM, navybankerteacher said:

The "very front of the ship" is the bow -- there are no cabins there.  The most forward cabins with windows facing forward are in the superstructure - probably at least 100 feet aft of the bow.  Those within the hull are still aft of the bow, and not at the "very front of the ship".

well of course.....I was referring to front facing, as forward a cabin as you can get.

From the other side of the coin, one window with a light shining  out of it is very VERY noticeable from the bridge. Take into account any ‘wet’ atmospheric conditions as well, and the light refracts all over  the shop causing even more problems.
More than once I have sent the bridge look out down to chase up the offender … then of course he comes back and his night vision is shot to pieces.

Some folk may regard it as an inconvenience but the rule is there for a serious purpose.

• Like 3

I will be forward above the stage which is on deck 3 I will be on deck 5 on the HAL MS Zuiderdam. There are about 9 cabins forward from mine, I have an inside stateroom. Wondering if I'll be able to hear the performances and the elevators?  I'll come prepared for the motion.

3 hours ago, Sophia71 said:

I will be forward above the stage which is on deck 3 I will be on deck 5 on the HAL MS Zuiderdam. There are about 9 cabins forward from mine, I have an inside stateroom. Wondering if I'll be able to hear the performances and the elevators?  I'll come prepared for the motion.

Probably best asking on the HAL Board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Probably best asking on the HAL Board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/

Welcome to Cruise Critic Sophia17!

I second this suggestion.  And, include in your post your stateroom number.  It will help us to pinpoint your precise location.

21 hours ago, Sophia71 said:

I have had a veranda stateroom on the Eurodam in that area although not quite as far forward as I think you will be.  Elevator noise?  No.  You will be too far forward of the Forward Elevator/Stairway Foyer for such noise.  What you will hear from the Theater?  Don't know.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We booked a guaranteed cabin for a great deal cruising on Rccl out of Galveston. We were in the next to last cabin at the bow . The anchor noise woke us up early at each port, but the worst was crossing from Progresso across the Gulf of Mexico back to Galveston. The seas were rough and I had my first trouble with seasickness. I took some Dramamine and slept the rest of the way. 

10 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

It's not EVERY forward facing cabin, it depends what deck you are on.

Any deck up fwd, if lights are permitted to show out of fwd facing cabins will negatively impact the night vision of the Bridge Team.

It is also a contravention of the International Collision Regulations (Rule 20 - Application), as no lights can be displayed that impact the visibility of ship's navigation lights, or impair other vessels from seeing the ship's navigation lights.

I was often of the opinion that, in respect of passenger ships,  there was a case to ban all ‘fairy lights’ and all accommodation lights that were in the near vicinity of the r & g ‘s …. . It would have made life a whole lot easier, albeit not as pretty 😄

13 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It is also a contravention of the International Collision Regulations (Rule 20 - Application), as no lights can be displayed that impact the visibility of ship's navigation lights, or impair other vessels from seeing the ship's navigation lights.

Interesting.  There are so many lights on a cruise ship it must be difficult to distinguish the navigation lights.    

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not really - the positions of masthead lights and the colors of running lights make them easily distinguishable.

Your eyes are better than mine.  I lose all colors in the plethora of lights.  The good news is while I may not be able to distinguish the navigation lights, there would be no doubt a cruise ship is there.   

360879701_ScreenShot2021-10-23at7_21_16PM.png.13e0cefd45360ad0cdfa7c5b47625762.png