Carnival cant answer our covid testing questions

8 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The original choices location wise only gave me 7.  Then there was a box to click for additional locations and it gave me 25 locations.  18 offered PCR, 6 offered Antigen and 1 was temporarily closed. And they were all within 15 miles of my house.

Yeah, I'm not getting any antigen options even expanding the search locations. From what Google tells me, the CDC says "NAATs can reliably detect small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 and are unlikely to return a false-negative result of SARS-CoV-2", so it sounds like it's a good test. Perhaps Carnival will decide that's acceptable too and this will no longer be a problem.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

1 minute ago, wannagonow123 said:

I went to CVS with a copy of what I need.  The rapid results test is used for " I don't feel well, wonder if I have Covid". 

The molecular PCR/NAAT is what is used to proof for travel. Takes 24=72 hours for results. You make an appointment, go to the drive thru, stick a stick up your nose and give it back. They send it to a lab (quest/ labcorp). You are then given info for an app you place on your phone, or computer. You create an account, and that is where your results are sent. You can show Carnival, RCI, whomever your negative results on your phone.

The antigen BIMAX is another test that will work, but you generally have to pay for it ($150-$200)pp. Usually done at a different location. (Not CVS/Walgreens). 

And if you look at the fine print, it says that if the lab they are using is backed up, then it could be longer than 72 hours.  Can't take that chance.  The Rapid results test that CVS gives states that it's an Antigen test and that is all that Carnival requires.  That is what we will be getting.

1 minute ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Yeah, I'm not getting any antigen options even expanding the search locations. From what Goggle tells me, the CDC says "NAATs can reliably detect small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 and are unlikely to return a false-negative result of SARS-CoV-2", so it sounds like it's a good test. Perhaps Carnival will decide that's acceptable too soon and this will no longer be a problem.

The problem is that if your lab is backed up, you may not get the PCR test results back in the 72 hour time frame.  Can't take that chance.

5 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The problem is that if your lab is backed up, you may not get the PCR test results back in the 72 hour time frame.  Can't take that chance.

True. But I don't seem to have an antigen test option at either CVS (which says none near me) or Walgreens (which says my closest antigen test site is in Maine). There may be other places where I could get an antigen test locally though. I haven't looked into it yet since I've got time before my sailing.

You're taking a chance with delayed test results for a PCR test, but you're taking a increased chance of a false positive with the antigen test (if you can get it). So either way you're taking a chance.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

2 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Yeah, I'm not getting any antigen options even expanding the search locations. From what Google tells me, the CDC says "NAATs can reliably detect small amounts of SARS-CoV-2 and are unlikely to return a false-negative result of SARS-CoV-2", so it sounds like it's a good test. Perhaps Carnival will decide that's acceptable too soon and this will no longer be a problem.

Jim, there is no doubt that the NAAT nasal swab test is the gold standard.  It's what we were required to do to get to Hawaii in April.  It is a much more extensive laboratory based test.  The challenge is that it isn't fast and it isn't cheap to administer.  As I indicated earlier, we paid $150pp this past Spring to get results on an expedited basis in order to meet the 72 hour window.  Carnival understands that'll likely be a deal breaker for its already vaccinated passengers so they are appropriately accepting the lower standard antigen quick test for that 'safer' subgroup.  I'm okay jumping through that limited, lower hurdle in the window prior to our flights to Miami.  Set the bar much higher and most vaxxed passengers would opt out.  Some already will. Hope that gives you some background on the testing process. 

8 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

If it's for travel they put in the bag with the sample a "priority" label so the results come back first.

28 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

OK fair enough. I'll have to take your word for it. Because when I select the rapid test option I just get a message "We're sorry. We are unable to find any testing locations with the filter you selected". And it's not as if I live in the boonies.

It does give me plenty of Molecular Lab Test options, but they all say "Molecular lab test (PCR / NAAT)", so it's not clear which you'd be getting. Though perhaps at the actual CVS they give you a choice. Or maybe the reason I have no rapid test options in my area is because they are using the NAAT, which is also rapid. Who knows?

You're correct Jim, not every CVS has rapid antigen- they have to have the Minute Clinics within the stores. Only three in my entire metro area do, now that's three and it works for me but I live in a large area. I have no doubt you can not find one where you live as I've talked to others having the same problem, especially in smaller communities which is where testing it proving particularly difficult within the 72 hour time frame. I don't blame you your anxiety over this issue either. It has taken a lot of us by surprise. If you are getting to your port of call early maybe check that city for a CVS- if they have rapid it takes only a few hours and maybe that might work. I'm sorry you're having to wrestle with this. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

You're taking a chance with delayed test results for a PCR test, but you're taking a increased chance of a false positive with the antigen test (if you can get it). So either way you're taking a chance.

While true, that's one call to Carnival and a FCC.  Plus you probably have a shot at a second test to verify.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

Can I just say this! We all want a cruise vacay BUT why are you allowing not vaccinated guests?  We sailed on Horizon July 10 with only supposedly 5% unvaccinated and 1 couple with an baby about 2 months old. Why would you put your child in jeopardy?  Do you really believe that  using the insurance is going to stop the virus?  I wouldn’t even bother. Do you really need the 5% of cruisers?   A year you should do a non vacation cruise?  May everyone enjoy our planned cruise Thank you.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Jim, there is no doubt that the NAAT nasal swab test is the gold standard.  It's what we were required to do to get to Hawaii in April.  It is a much more extensive laboratory based test.  The challenge is that it isn't fast and it isn't cheap to administer.  As I indicated earlier, we paid $150pp this past Spring to get results on an expedited basis in order to meet the 72 hour window.  Carnival understands that'll likely be a deal breaker for its already vaccinated passengers so they are appropriately accepting the lower standard antigen quick test for that 'safer' subgroup.  I'm okay jumping through that limited, lower hurdle in the window prior to our flights to Miami.  Set the bar much higher and most vaxxed passengers would opt out.  Some already will. Hope that gives you some background on the testing process. 

Thanks for that. I agree with your point about why Carnival wouldn't require the NAAT test. But then why wouldn't they accept it as one of your options if you wanted to go that route if it's such a good test? They just say PCR and antigen are acceptable. Seems odd.

25 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

You're correct Jim, not every CVS has rapid antigen- they have to have the Minute Clinics within the stores. Only three in my entire metro area do, now that's three and it works for me but I live in a large area. I have no doubt you can not find one where you live as I've talked to others having the same problem, especially in smaller communities which is where testing it proving particularly difficult within the 72 hour time frame. I don't blame you your anxiety over this issue either. It has taken a lot of us by surprise. If you are getting to your port of call early maybe check that city for a CVS- if they have rapid it takes only a few hours and maybe that might work. I'm sorry you're having to wrestle with this. 

Thanks. I'm not so much anxious about it for myself yet, because my sailing isn't until December. I'm just pointing out that it may not be as easy as it sounds to go out and get a quick antigen test result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Here's a link to a posting in another thread that the OP had a screenshot of what I was talking about.

To allow the powers that be corral us into this way of living is disgusting. From a general abrasive view of Vax and Non Vax, it is breaking down to being specific about the Vaxxed. This is government at its most disruptive. We all see the monopoly Dock workers take our bags to the ship on carts. They get paid several times more then the ship workers who take the bags and bring them all over the ship working several times harder. The ship employees move us on and off very quickly in most ways. Then we get the government involved during disembarkation when the cruise ends. A lot of fun when the quicker movement becomes something mired in glue. So the CDC make laws now for us all.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, beanie315 said:

Anyone know what carnival is doing for B2B ? We have one in September .

Yes, saw a YouTube video from vloggers Paradeejay who did a B2B on the Horizon a few weeks ago and on embarkation day there were 98 people who were B2b and they all met in a lounge at 830 am, and were all taken as a group to get tested.  They all had their test results emailed to them by 1030 and then they were able to get back on board.  This was done on Carnival's dime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

You apparently missed my inserted screen shot of what the CVS site says. It just says "Rapid-result test". it doesn't specify that it's antigen. The NAAT test is also a form of rapid test.

CVS test type.png

You are not entirely correct here. The 'rapid test' is an antigen test. That is very different from a NAAT test. PCR testing is actually a version of NAAT testing. This website can provide a better explanation (specifically the second QU&A on the page).

https://testguide.labmed.uw.edu/public/guideline/covid_faq_patients

15 minutes ago, tm_aw_love said:

You are not entirely correct here. The 'rapid test' is an antigen test. That is very different from a NAAT test. PCR testing is actually a version of NAAT testing. This website can provide a better explanation (specifically the second QU&A on the page).

https://testguide.labmed.uw.edu/public/guideline/covid_faq_patients

I can't win I guess. Yesterday in another thread I said the rapid test is the same as the antigen test and was corrected by someone who said the NAAT is another form of rapid test, so not all rapid tests are antigen tests:

12 hours ago, Shayhooper said:

Not all rapid tests are antigen tests.  NAAT are also rapid tests and frequently available at pharmacies but they are NOT antigen tests.

2 minutes ago, grillinchillin said:

image.png.d58d89fbb43e156061e08a8e93567665.png

That doesn't fit with what John Heald said.  And yet both he and this PVP are Carnival representatives, so what to believe?

My guess would be this: It says "3 days before. What is one day before Saturday? Friday of course. 2 days before Saturday is therefore Thursday, and 3 days before Saturday is Wednesday. In other words, I'd think John Heald is correct. But it would be nice to have some official Carnival clarification.

• Like 5