Iona Promenade Deck

margo2011

Hi can anyone help please ,finally got our room allocated 8341 on the promenade deck and on the plans it looks as though we will be in full view of passengers walking by .Although the location for  bars and restaurants is good there will be no privacy on the balcony .Before I try the stressful hours trying to contact them am I overreacting .

We were looking forward to breakfast on the balcony ,maybe a late night drink  overlooking 

the water but wasn’t expecting to be the entertainment for passers by .

thank you in anticipation of replies.

Edited by Host Sharon
Added ship name

Hi.....I wouldn't be a " happy bunny" with a balcony cabin on the promenade deck for the reasons you have stated plus the chatter of people as they go bye or worse still linger . so I wouldn't say that you are overreacting.....I just can't understand the logic of in the planning stage having balcony cabins placed so low down....surely they must have realised the major disadvantages ....as SarahHben has said she has posted a video ....well worth a look

We are on deck 9 and even on that deck I am beginning to wonder if we should have been a deck or two higher

Edited by janny444
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, margo2011 said:

Hi can anyone help please ,finally got our room allocated 8341 on the promenade deck and on the plans it looks as though we will be in full view of passengers walking by .Although the location for  bars and restaurants is good there will be no privacy on the balcony .Before I try the stressful hours trying to contact them am I overreacting .

We were looking forward to breakfast on the balcony ,maybe a late night drink  overlooking 

the water but wasn’t expecting to be the entertainment for passers by .

thank you in anticipation of replies.

I’ve just had a look at the deck plans and it looks like it’s right by a main door to the outside deck and has a hot tub right by it so potential for even more noise. I think if it were me I’d call and see if they could give you an alternative cabin 🥴

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, amfc_lenny said:

maybe they should be marketed as overlooked balconies, another new class in addition to obstructed.

If you look at the plan above, they already are.  On the deck plans they are noted with a V - Balconies visible from promenade deck.

Edited by jaydee6969

I do find these conservatory cabins strange. Classed as a suite, but the same inside space as a standard cabin. The conservatory is a nice touch, but it’s more of a Mini suite than a suite. It seems odd that they get the same perks as the other suites. 

I've seen some Carnival cabins that have a balcony in a public space, but they have direct access to the walkway as well. That surely makes more sense if they are going to be in such close proximity to the promenade. 

13 minutes ago, awmartin said:

Does anyone know what the strange symbol means for cabin 8325 on promenade deck. A circle with four lines can’t find it any other cabin or on in information.

just curious ?

6E128AA6-E35E-4761-B603-AC63788F5724.thumb.png.3739710e94f688b13d5c5e9dcb2eac0b.png

It means “Part Obstructed View”. 

it’s not on the deck plan but it does appear in the Azura one. I assume it’s because there is a massive hot tub in the way

15 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

The conservatory is a nice touch, but it’s more of a Mini suite than a suite. It seems odd that they get the same perks as the other suites. 

They are classed as mini suites and I understand there aren't many perks with them

47 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

It means “Part Obstructed View”. 

it’s not on the deck plan but it does appear in the Azura one. I assume it’s because there is a massive hot tub in the way

We’ll spotted. Thanks

2 hours ago, amfc_lenny said:

I think I’d be calling sooner rather than later

maybe they should be marketed as overlooked balconies, another new class in addition to obstructed.

I think that since you will be like zoo animals sitting on your balcony, they should pay you to holiday in one of them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

They are classed as mini suites and I understand there aren't many perks with them

Ah ok, my misunderstanding. I saw someone in one on the shakedown and they got the White Company toiletries gift set that you get with a normal suite. I didn’t get this in my Britannia Mini Suite!! 

I did think it was odd to have so many cabins with the same perks- it would take the shine away from the bigger ones 

17 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

If you look at the plan above, they already are.  On the deck plans they are noted with a V - Balconies visible from promenade deck.

I sometimes wonder. Why did carnival give the design of a few ,billion dollar ships to someone why will now say ' oh!. I didn't think of that'. I can under stand it with milk jugs that don't pour without going over the side, give that job to the student. A billion dollar ship. I don't know of an old ship where people can look through the window into your cabin. And another thing why are the concrete columns in car parks just where the car doors open.🤔

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I sometimes wonder. Why did carnival give the design of a few ,billion dollar ships to someone why will now say ' oh!. I didn't think of that'. I can under stand it with milk jugs that don't pour without going over the side, give that job to the student. A billion dollar ship. I don't know of an old ship where people can look through the window into your cabin. And another thing why are the concrete columns in car parks just where the car doors open.🤔

Allegedly, the balcony front's on these cabins have obscured glass to prevent being ogled.  Most of them are also set higher than the deck as there are a few steps internally up to the corridors in this area.  At the bow the promenade deck appears to slope up, so these cabins may be the worst, and certainly the cabins at the bow are looked over.  I will have a look in person tomorrow, I may have mentioned once or twice we are on the maiden.

As for car parks in general, when are they going to size the spaces to suit modern cars and not cars from the 70's.  Costco is about the only place I have seen with decent bays, but that is probably because of their American heritage.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Exactly. It's not like Carnival didn't know that these cabins would not be popular as they already have them on other ships eg Aida Nova and a Princess one I believe. Adding a voile in the windows would help as that would give more privacy when inside. I would hate to have one of these as I like sleeping with the curtains open. But we'll see what people on the maiden report back

I, too, can't wait for an actual report on those cabins and the ones just above.  I think we will be in one on deck 9.  Even those on deck 9 don't look as though they will be peaceful.

We watch and wait and after all this time we will enjoy

It's not just that you will be like a fish in a goldfish ball it will be the noise of the chatter from peeps maybe sitting on chairs right up to your balcony....imagine it....you trying to relax on your balcony and a full scale conversation going on on the other side of the partition..... and if you are near the whirlpools you will have the delightful noise of children enjoying themselves.....very relaxing....if you book a Saver balcony cabin at least you can be pretty sure what deck you will end up on!

6 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I, too, can't wait for an actual report on those cabins and the ones just above.  I think we will be in one on deck 9.  Even those on deck 9 don't look as though they will be peaceful.

We watch and wait and after all this time we will enjoy

My thoughts too....I choose a balcony cabin on deck 9 so may look to change to a higher deck although we are quite near to the front

44 minutes ago, janny444 said:

if you book a Saver balcony cabin at least you can be pretty sure what deck you will end up on!

For the maiden we could only book saver with cabin to be allocated by P&O.  We have a balcony, but down on deck 5.  If the dolphins start jumping, we could have one in our cabin.🤣

We normal choose our cabin, and for June next year we selected deck 10 mid starboard side, to be away from any potential noise from the outside dining area on the Promenade deck. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

For the maiden we could only book saver with cabin to be allocated by P&O.  We have a balcony, but down on deck 5.  If the dolphins start jumping, we could have one in our cabin.🤣

We normal choose our cabin, and for June next year we selected deck 10 mid starboard side, to be away from any potential noise from the outside dining area on the Promenade deck. 

What kind of cabin do you have booked for next year?

I hope you have an amazing time on the maiden voyage. I am extremely envious

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

What kind of cabin do you have booked for next year?

I hope you have an amazing time on the maiden voyage. I am extremely envious

Next year we have a standard GA grade balcony cabin, just back towards the lifts from the Deluxe cabins.  So should be pretty much the same inside as next weeks deck 5.

Thank you, we are looking forward to it.  You will be on there soon enough.

• Like 1