Celebrity airlines: 0+1 baggage?

fstuff1

Booking flights through celebrity to fort lauderdale is $100 cheaper than booking directly with United.

On Celebrity's site:

1) What does 0+1 mean for baggage?

0 checked bags + 1 carry on?

or

0 carry on + 1 under the seat?

2) anyway to choose an aisle seat?

Edited by fstuff1

3 minutes ago, etuazoncpa14 said:

Hello! I have the same question. Does the 0+0 then mean no check-in and no carry-on? This is for Alaska Airlines. I thought that all passengers are allowed 1 carry-on.

for the cheapest economy fare, you're only allowed 1 bag under the seat.

12 hours ago, The_Mac said:

All the major airlines charge for checked bags in economy.

Buiness/First is usually First checked bag free.

Celebrity doesn't have control over that.

Southwest Airline..2 bags pp fly free and large carry ons are  allowed ..no charge.

Next week we are trying Frontier..just a personal bag allowed...but it's a non stop !

12 hours ago, etuazoncpa14 said:

Hello! I have the same question. Does the 0+0 then mean no check-in and no carry-on? This is for Alaska Airlines. I thought that all passengers are allowed 1 carry-on.

Yes it means no free luggage.   They will of course allow you to check or carry on for a fee. 

It varies by airline and even by fare

1)  SW allows two checked bags

2)  United "basic" fares do NOT even allow a free carry-on (may not matter if you're checking a bag anyways), regular economy does

3)  Bonus:  I travel a lot, one of my favorite things for traveling is a rolling backpack which fits under the airplane seat.  I was able to carry onto the X ship two laptops (work and personal) and two bottles of wine, while I'm capable of using it as a backpack from the embarkation terminal, to the ships muster station to the stateroom, being able to roll made life much easier

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It varies by airline and even by fare

1)  SW allows two checked bags

2)  United "basic" fares do NOT even allow a free carry-on (may not matter if you're checking a bag anyways), regular economy does

3)  Bonus:  I travel a lot, one of my favorite things for traveling is a rolling backpack which fits under the airplane seat.  I was able to carry onto the X ship two laptops (work and personal) and two bottles of wine, while I'm capable of using it as a backpack from the embarkation terminal, to the ships muster station to the stateroom, being able to roll made life much easier

Just to add a little -   Often your status with an airline or credit card used to book will have Baggage perks.  My status with United gives us 2 bags each for no fee even if booking the lowest fare.

https://www.rewardexpert.com/blog/how-to-avoid-bag-fees/

This site lists ways to avoid baggage charges on most airlines.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 6:00 PM, fstuff1 said:

2) anyway to choose an aisle seat?

Hello, "fstuff1."

It appears that everyone overlooked your second question.

The answer is ...

most definitely.

Start by asking the "Flights By Celebrity" agent if he/she is able to give you the seat you desire.  (Sometimes FBC agents can do this -- even before final-payment-day -- but sometimes not.) 

If the answer is "yes," tell the agent that you want an aisle seat, as far forward (or as far to the rear) as possible.  You could even ask for the aisle to be on your left or on your right, although your precise choice may no longer be available.

If the answer is "no" (because some airlines will not allow you to choose a seat until you have paid for the flight), then do this after you have paid:

1.  Make a note of the 6-character code associated with your reservation (which may be all alphabetic or a mixture of alpha and numeric characters -- such as "GTEYJ8").  This is typically known as your "record locator" or "confirmation number."

2.  Go to the Internet site of the airline involved (e.g., aa.com for American, united.com for United, etc.). 

...... Look for a link to click that will allow you to view your reservation (labeled "Manage trips" for American ... "My trips" for United).

...... Enter your name (first and last -- or just last) and your record locator code -- and then click on the "find your trip" or "search" button.

...... Info about your flight should come up for you to examine, along with a link that will allow you to choose your seat by viewing an "overhead" diagram of the plane.  Unless you want to pay an extra fee (e.g., for more leg-room), you'll have to choose an available seat within the class (first, business, economy, etc.) for which you have paid.  [You will see that a seat was already chosen for you, but you can very easily change it if you wish.]

Best of luck!

PS:  If you are dissatisfied with all the choices of seats that were available, you can keep trying in the days ahead, because some people are likely to move to other seats or to change to other flights, potentially opening up something that is more to your liking.

PPS:  If the Flights By Celebrity agent was able to assign your seat, you should (nevertheless) go to the airline's site and verify that you got what you wanted.  If the agent made a mistake, you are likely to be able to switch to a better seat.

Edited by jg51
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

2)  Go to the Internet site of the airline involved (e.g., aa.com for American, united.com for United, etc.). 

...... Enter your name (first and last -- or just last) and your record locator code -- and then click on the "find your trip" or "search" button.

...... Info about your flight should come up for you to examine, along with a link that will allow you to choose your seat by viewing an "overhead" diagram of the plane.  Unless you want to pay an extra fee (e.g., for more leg-room), you'll have to choose an available seat within the class (first, business, economy, etc.) for which you have paid.  [You will see that a seat was already chosen for you, but you can very easily change it if you wish.]

Best of luck!

PS:  If you are dissatisfied with all the choices of seats that were available, you can keep trying in the days ahead, because some people are likely to move to other seats or to change to other flights, potentially opening up something that is more to your liking.

PPS:  If the Flights By Celebrity agent was able to assign your seat, you should (nevertheless) go to the airline's site and verify that you got what you wanted.  If the agent made a mistake, you are likely to be able to switch to a better seat.

Celebrity air could not assign me a seat.

Going to United and entering my RSVP gives me:

There are no complimentary seat assignments available at this time. You'll be assigned a seat at no charge prior to boarding, or you can purchase an available seat on the seat map. 😞

Any advice?

😞

Edited by fstuff1

18 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

There are no complimentary seat assignments available at this time. You'll be assigned a seat at no charge prior to boarding, or you can purchase an available seat on the seat map. 😞

Any advice?

😞

When is your flight?

30 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Any advice?

😞

Hi, again.

In our previous message, we mentioned that, if Celebrity cannot assign a seat, you can choose one yourself "after you have paid" for it.

If you have not yet fully paid for your cruise (and air fare), you can get a message like the one you just quoted.  (We have seen that kind of message before.)

But once you have paid fully, the above message should disappear, and you should be able to select/move your seat.  We are saying this based on multiple past experiences with United -- but we cannot guarantee that they have not changed their procedures, for some reason.

Good luck!

OOOPS!  We just remembered something.  We have been assuming that your flight is between two points within the U.S..  It is possible that, if your destination is outside the U.S., you may be unable to choose your seat until the day of the flight.  We vaguely recall that kind of thing happening at least once.  Sorry!

Edited by jg51

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

Any advice?

😞

That's generally the situation on the deeply discounted fare.    Some Airlines like United do not allow advance seat selection,  assign only middle seats and don't allow you to put hand luggage in the overhead bin.  

As you stated you can probably pay additional for luggage and seat selection. 

United site states the following"

The main difference is a basic economy ticket has a smaller United Airlines baggage allowance. You won't be able to put a larger carry on in the overhead bin and will be limited to a small personal item. ... You can't check-in using the United App or website unless you have paid extra to bring a checked bag.

2 hours ago, jg51 said:

Hi, again.

In our previous message, we mentioned that, if Celebrity cannot assign a seat, you can choose one yourself "after you have paid" for it.

If you have not yet fully paid for your cruise (and air fare), you can get a message like the one you just quoted.  (We have seen that kind of message before.)

But once you have paid fully, the above message should disappear, and you should be able to select/move your seat.  We are saying this based on multiple past experiences with United -- but we cannot guarantee that they have not changed their procedures, for some reason.

Good luck!

OOOPS!  We just remembered something.  We have been assuming that your flight is between two points within the U.S..  It is possible that, if your destination is outside the U.S., you may be unable to choose your seat until the day of the flight.  We vaguely recall that kind of thing happening at least once.  Sorry!

It is paid for.

Dc to Florida.

Just noticed on United website there are no more regular economy seats left for my flight.

Only premium economy, emergency exit or business class.

I guess that's why I can't pick a seat.

Wonder what will happen now?

Edited by fstuff1

3 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

It is paid for.

Dc to Florida.

Just noticed on United website there are no more regular economy seats left for my flight.

Only premium economy, emergency exit or business class.

I guess that's why I can't pick a seat.

Wonder what will happen now?

They will assign you a seat at checkin.    Usually there will be some upgrades and then they reassign those seats.    Other times they may give you the Premium or Exit Row seat.  

• Thanks 1

With the lowest economy fare it’s unlikely you will be upgraded.    You will get your seat after United upgrades the very frequent flyers to Business or Premium Economy  seats.   There is no First Class on United for flights within the U.S., Hawaii or Europe.   It is all what they call Business/First.   On flights less than four hours they will serve drinks and come through the cabin with a basket of snacks (Pretzels, Chips, Cookies and the like).   If you are hungry bring a meal onboard.   It’s not COVID related, it’s how they handle business class passengers.   Does Delta actually have three classes on their aircraft?

13 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

With the lowest economy fare it’s unlikely you will be upgraded.    You will get your seat after United upgrades the very frequent flyers to Business or Premium Economy  seats.  ...

United now has what they call "Basic Economy" (the "lowest economy fare") ... and it has "Economy" ... and it has "Economy (fully refundable)."

In 2019, when we last booked a United flight (via Flights By Celebrity), we were able to change our seats after final-payment day ... AND ... the Flights By Celebrity agent said that they never book people with the "Basic Economy" fare (due to too many complaints about the tight restrictions involved).  We do not know if FBC has changed its practice in this regard.

If "fstuff1" has booked a flight in (regular) "Economy" class, it may be true that all the other Economy seats have been sold, so that there are no empty seats into which to switch.  Although, as stated above, it may be possible to remedy this at check-in (on the day of the flight), we would keep checking -- even daily, if it would not be too much of an inconvenience -- to see if someone in Economy has canceled, leaving one or more seats open.

Good luck to "fstuff1"!

44 minutes ago, jg51 said:

United now has what they call "Basic Economy" (the "lowest economy fare") ... and it has "Economy" ... and it has "Economy (fully refundable)."

In 2019, when we last booked a United flight (via Flights By Celebrity), we were able to change our seats after final-payment day ... AND ... the Flights By Celebrity agent said that they never book people with the "Basic Economy" fare (due to too many complaints about the tight restrictions involved).  We do not know if FBC has changed its practice in this regard.

If "fstuff1" has booked a flight in (regular) "Economy" class, it may be true that all the other Economy seats have been sold, so that there are no empty seats into which to switch.  Although, as stated above, it may be possible to remedy this at check-in (on the day of the flight), we would keep checking -- even daily, if it would not be too much of an inconvenience -- to see if someone in Economy has canceled, leaving one or more seats open.

Good luck to "fstuff1"!

thx. 

will check daily.

i'm still allowed 1 personal bag (ie: small backpack/laptop bag) in addition to the carry on?

50 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

thx. 

will check daily.

i'm still allowed 1 personal bag (ie: small backpack/laptop bag) in addition to the carry on?

That was true in 2019, and we hope that it will still be true in 2021.