Is tipping in cash still preferred by cruise staff ?

runningtide

On 8/30/2021 at 6:25 PM, awinkl said:

Sleazebags??? Just because tipping is a Custom preferred by Americans (and Canadians?) why do Passengers from other Cultures HAVE TO adopt these practices? Cruise Lines should pay a decent wage to ANY/ALL of their Employees, then they would not have to depend on Tips!! 

Tips should be reserved for people who give me EXTRA GOOD SERVICE, - and should not just be applied (and expected) automatically.

Just extrapolate the Automatic Gratuities of $ 15.00 charged per Passenger on a fully booked Ship of 3 - 5000 Passengers? It's a hefty sum that Cruise Lines receive to subsidize their Operations. And where is the incentive of Staff, to provide (very) good Service on a fully-booked Cruise, when they already know, that they will receive their share anyway?

Celebrity is an American company, regardless of where they are sailing. Therefore, American customs should be followed. There are non-American based cruise lines that may follow different customs. You don't "have to adopt these practices" for your normal life at home; But yes, when in Rome, the correct thing to do is follow the local customs. This would be akin to me going to a muslim country and wearing clothing respectful to the local cultures. 

As far as what is the incentive of the Staff? I don't know what your job is or how you are compensated. But I receive a full paycheck every two weeks. There's no extra pay for doing a better job. Incentive is work ethic, taking pride in doing a good job, and on the job perks that come with doing a good job (promotions, preferred hours or assignments, treated well by supervisors). I believe cruise ships have all those things as well, not just tips to motivate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/20/2021 at 4:25 PM, zitsky said:

I want Cruise Critic to start giving me a % of their revenue.  Because, you know, I'm part of the team.

Okay, wait until the hits start coming in, you might change your mind quickly.... LOL

bon voyage

On 8/30/2021 at 6:25 PM, awinkl said:

Sleazebags??? Just because tipping is a Custom preferred by Americans (and Canadians?) why do Passengers from other Cultures HAVE TO adopt these practices? Cruise Lines should pay a decent wage to ANY/ALL of their Employees, then they would not have to depend on Tips!! 

Tips should be reserved for people who give me EXTRA GOOD SERVICE, - and should not just be applied (and expected) automatically.

Just extrapolate the Automatic Gratuities of $ 15.00 charged per Passenger on a fully booked Ship of 3 - 5000 Passengers? It's a hefty sum that Cruise Lines receive to subsidize their Operations. And where is the incentive of Staff, to provide (very) good Service on a fully-booked Cruise, when they already know, that they will receive their share anyway?

Have you received less than 'great' service on any X sailing, consistently, which warranted not tipping or leaving the auto-gratuities in place?

If so, that means you may want to consider another cruise line to sail where service is not an issue and you would not believe that removing the auto-gratuities were de rigueur vs current customs of doing so on many lines.

IMO and mine only, Mate...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 8:24 PM, ScubesDad said:

You are aware they do speak English in Australia.

Yes, it is a 'form' of English.... which can be different from English speaking country to another...

bon voyage

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Have you received less than 'great' service on any X sailing, consistently, which warranted not tipping or leaving the auto-gratuities in place?

Once or twice in 20 + years... 

While I did remove the auto tips I did write a note along with the gratuities I felt were deserving and explained why I reduced their tips in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Once or twice in 20 + years... 

While I did remove the auto tips I did write a note along with the gratuities I felt were deserving and explained why I reduced their tips in the first place.

That approach Sir, is acceptable as you added back gratuities along with a note as to the reason some were removed.

Bothering to document it is the key in your case, other cases it is just because they believe that they should not for whatever reason.

bon voyage

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

That approach Sir, is acceptable as you added back gratuities along with a note as to the reason some were removed.

Bothering to document it is the key in your case, other cases it is just because they believe that they should not for whatever reason.

bon voyage

I try and look for teachable moments... even on vacation!

And sometimes I learn the lessons! 

Edited by rucrazy
Expanded my thought!
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

While I will accept that as your final answer, I find it hard to believe that a gentleman of your distinction cannot learn!

A teachable moment.  LOL  It's my understanding that if you remove the auto tips then tip with a note as you said, yada, yada, yada, then those tips have to be turned into the tipping pool, so they will probably even get less as they have to take care of all the others behind the scenes with the pool monies.  I think the consensus would be to leave on the auto tips and give additional as you see fit.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Celebrity is an American company, regardless of where they are sailing. Therefore, American customs should be followed. There are non-American based cruise lines that may follow different customs. You don't "have to adopt these practices" for your normal life at home; But yes, when in Rome, the correct thing to do is follow the local customs. This would be akin to me going to a muslim country and wearing clothing respectful to the local cultures. 

As far as what is the incentive of the Staff? I don't know what your job is or how you are compensated. But I receive a full paycheck every two weeks. There's no extra pay for doing a better job. Incentive is work ethic, taking pride in doing a good job, and on the job perks that come with doing a good job (promotions, preferred hours or assignments, treated well by supervisors). I believe cruise ships have all those things as well, not just tips to motivate. 

Is it an American company, though?  I don't see their ships flying an American Flag.  More flags of convenience to take advantage of less equitable labour laws in other countries, or incorporating in tax havens to avoid paying American Taxes.  Are they American companies because they sell their shares in the American stockmarket?  There are a lot of non-American companies that do that.

14 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Is it an American company, though?  I don't see their ships flying an American Flag.  More flags of convenience to take advantage of less equitable labour laws in other countries, or incorporating in tax havens to avoid paying American Taxes.  Are they American companies because they sell their shares in the American stockmarket?  There are a lot of non-American companies that do that.

American company with ships registered in the Bahamas or Panama.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:34 PM, ScubesDad said:

I think the vast majority of cruisers would agree with you that the staff should be paid a living wage.

Living wage based on what country, the US or where the person is from.  I think cruiselines would love to pay a living wage to all the people from the countries based on there country or origin.   Think of it this way 

A developing nation in the Southeast Asian region, According to the Philippine Statistics Authority or PSA, a family of 5 needs at least PHP 8,778 a month or the equivalent of USD 168 to meet their most basic food and non-food needs.

A lot of the workers are from the Philippines,  

Edited by bikerunner

12 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Living wage based on what country, the US or where the person is from.  I think cruiselines would love to pay a living wage to all the people from the countries based on there country or origin.   Think of it this way 

A developing nation in the Southeast Asian region, According to the Philippine Statistics Authority or PSA, a family of 5 needs at least PHP 8,778 a month or the equivalent of USD 168 to meet their most basic food and non-food needs.

A lot of the workers are from the Philippines,  

That has always been my point.  I think the folks working on ships do pretty well for themselves.  If that were not the case, there would be plenty of openings...... As a result, the cruise line would raise wages to compensate on oversupply of jobs.

10 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

That has always been my point.  I think the folks working on ships do pretty well for themselves.  If that were not the case, there would be plenty of openings...... As a result, the cruise line would raise wages to compensate on oversupply of jobs.

Completely agree, we are not in a one world economy and never will be so there will always be disagreements on how wages are paid.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Yes, they are a publicly traded company on the New York stock exchange. they are headquartered in Miami, Florida and run by Americans. The primary language spoken on all of their ships is English. American companies can own property in other countries. And their cruise ships can be flagged in other countries as well.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 9:11 PM, davekathy said:

Or how much the staff earns hourly, monthly or by contract. :classic_rolleyes:

We got friendly with a bartender whose salary is $1300/mo.   Works his XXX off.  Happy to tip him extra, especially since the tax rate in his home country if 40%. He couldn’t do enough for us.  Great guy.

On 8/17/2021 at 1:03 PM, Eglesbrech said:

Can’t say I have heard of that here, luggage delivery is generally reliable. The stevedores do a great job tips or not.

Reminds me of my youngest daughter, who seemed to often lose her luggage when she flew.  I finally asked her how much she was tipping when she checked in at the curb.  Answer: “Oh, you’re supposed to tip?” I always overtip those guys, and now she does too (LOL).

• Haha 1