Is tipping in cash still preferred by cruise staff ?

runningtide

1 minute ago, Pinboy said:

LOL--- Same in Canada

BUT--- They end up filling in " Lost Luggage " forms and spend their whole vacation in a tshirt, sloppy shorts, and Birkenstock sandals. 

Can’t say I have heard of that here, luggage delivery is generally reliable. The stevedores do a great job tips or not.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Handing a tip to the restaurant Hostess at the beginning of the cruise is a very good " Insurance policy "  To some this is a "bribe" so tip, gratuity, bribe, whatever you call it, it works and is always appreciated.  Nothing better than a two top by the window!

We never had a pager in our hand as in " We'll page you when your table is ready ".

LOL-- So, I spent another few $ US --- no Big Deal --- ( except for our Canadian dollar exchange rate )

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

$2.00/bag, which is same that I do if/when I use curbside check in at the airport 

Gee, I thought you were a good tipper.  Disappointed...

I also give $5 a bag and I don't have to worry about the luggage being adrift in the harbor.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Handing cash to a maitre d' might get someone seated sooner.

Paying Celebrity thousands more to be in a suite allows skipping lines from embarkation on, and an entirely separate restaurant.

One is a bribe I have no problem with if someone wants to do it. The other is a cruise fare I have no problem with if someone wants to do it.

Parting with your money for a better spot happens throughout a cruise, always voluntary.

Whoever confused cruising with egalitarianism?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

If that is not the case then add the amount of the auto gratuity (which differs by cabin grade in our pricing structure) into the basic price ...

Based upon current prices for AI fares, it would seem they already have!  Actually, we all know that's what the program does, but of course it's not marketed that way!  There's a whole nuther thread on THAT topic!

Just now, canderson said:

Based upon current prices for AI fares, it would seem they already have!  Actually, we all know that's what the program does, but of course it's not marketed that way!  There's a whole nuther thread on THAT topic!

But if they market it as “all pre paid” then don’t complain when people assume that is exactly what it means in reality. That applies especially in regions where tipping is not the normal practice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

But if they market it as “all pre paid” then don’t complain when people assume that is exactly what it means in reality. That applies especially in regions where tipping is not the normal practice.

There's a whole nuther thread on THAT topic!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Handing a tip to the restaurant Hostess at the beginning of the cruise is a very good " Insurance policy "  To some this is a "bribe" so tip, gratuity, bribe, whatever you call it, it works and is always appreciated.  Nothing better than a two top by the window!

Not our experiences and so far we've never had to do it to ensure a good table. Apparently being polite and requesting a two top in a certain location we prefer for the entire cruise in the MDR (MTD) has always been good enough and has always worked for us.  

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Not our experiences and so far we've never had to do it to ensure a good table. Apparently being polite and requesting a two top in a certain location we prefer for the entire cruise in the MDR (MTD) has always been good enough and has always worked for us.  

Being polite + Andrew Jackson = The Farmers Insurance of cruising

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I'm not a farmer (but I do grow my own tomatoes) so no insurance required for us. 

Just grabbed a couple of cukes from the "bucket farm" on my patio, gonna slice those bad boys up add tomato's, feta cheese and balsamic, together with a glass or 4 of sauvignon blanc, I am good to go!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

$5 maybe $10 a bag.  Is that the "correct" answer?

You might as well have said $25 a bag --- There's no way in hell anyone on CC would tip $10 a bag--- unless the " Bag " is around my age ( LOL ) !!!!!

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

You might as well have said $25 a bag --- There's no way in hell anyone on CC would tip $10 a bag--- unless the " Bag " is around my age ( LOL ) !!!!!

I carry $20s in my wallet.  Does @Pinboy expect the porters to make change?

I worked as a server for several decades through school and into my early adult life, so I get tipping. I never remove the auto-grat from my folio, and we usually tip extra at the end of the trip, particularly to the cabin attendant and often to our MDR server if we've had a particularly great experience with the same team all week. We also usually drop a couple bucks to bartenders, even though we're on the drink package. All in all, I think I'm a pretty generous tipper (for a Canadian).

I hate HATE HATE tipping baggage porters. They literally handle my bags for 10 feet, wheeling them from the desk to the cage. As with others, I acknowledge the hostage situation this really is, and I sheepishly give them a $10 or $20 to ensure safe transit of my luggage. 

I would say, unequivocally, that the baggage transfer part is my absolute least favorite part of a cruise vacation. Worse than packing, worse than sitting in the middle row of a charter airplane... I hate the entitled, gangster attitudes of these guys. The cruise lines would do much better by their passengers by outlawing these racketeers.

/rant

• Like 2
  • Haha 2