Is tipping in cash still preferred by cruise staff ?

runningtide

8 minutes ago, ScubesDad said:

1----Canada and UK, are a bit more inclined to acknowledge the human side of the relationship

2----While we are never going to be friends with the employees on a ship, we can certainly be friendly and recognize them on a human level.

3----he gave us our birthday off as a bonus.

4----just don't remove the grats

1-- Watch out--- You might get some backlash on that ?? 

2-- Absolutely correct--- However , ever notice all the pages on " Who's On Board " ???  

3-- Years back a new employee asked whether the Company gave a day off on their birthday .

The Boss answered ---" We also give you a day off if you drop dead "--- 

4-- Absolutely correct --- It should not be permitted ---- ( even if the Server forgets to bring your 3rd                 shrimp cocktail ).  

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

1-- Watch out--- You might get some backlash on that ?? 

2-- Absolutely correct--- However , ever notice all the pages on " Who's On Board " ???  

3-- Years back a new employee asked whether the Company gave a day off on their birthday .

The Boss answered ---" We also give you a day off if you drop dead "--- 

4-- Absolutely correct --- It should not be permitted ---- ( even if the Server forgets to bring your 3rd                 shrimp cocktail ).  

Shrimp Cocktail Recipe - Jumbo Shrimp With Homemade Cocktail Sauce - YouTube

• Haha 1

I referenced the giving of candy in one of my replies not as a way of singling out an individual poster (not my intent; many people have given this suggestion over the years) but to note that it's presumptuous that any non-monetary gift is somehow more appreciated than the money itself.  The staff is going to show appreciation because that's how they are (and how they're trained to act).  But how do you know that they didn't already receive a sack's worth of candy one piece at a time because everyone else had the same idea?  Or that they even like candy, let alone the type you're giving them?  I maintain that if you spent $3 on a bag of candy to bring for the cruise to dole out as "treats," they'd rather you just give them the $3 instead.  They can buy their own preferred candy if they want some.

2 hours ago, ScubesDad said:

Having been both an employee and a supervising manager it is necessary to move beyond the basic needs level of an individual to encourage a feeling of worth.  My reference for this is Maslow's hierarchy of needs. For most of the people working in the service roles on the ships they are doing it to provide for the basic needs of their family: food, shelter safety and security, and cold hard cash is what they are after. However, once they are confident they have reached that level where security has been attained, they respond better to a feeling of belonging/friendship. While we are never going to be friends with the employees on a ship, we can certainly be friendly and recognize them on a human level.

I agree that passengers should treat the staff well as they have a very difficult job and part of treating them well is showing respect to them as people first.  However, isn't the "feeling of worth" the responsibility of the employer and its management?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, txtechmk said:

morpheusofthesea---Yes I use the mini candy bars to hold down the cash tip on the bed.  I guess the other posters missed that part of my post.  To each their own....

Did not miss it here, just did not comment on it as the subject was "cash" which you stated you do.  The candy is a nice gesture on your part though.  The fruitcake thing though, OY really!  I'd be insulted if I received a fruitcake on land, though have not even seen one since probably 1978 (it may still be in a box in the basement).  I still maintain that cash is king, and yes I do understand and respect that it varies from country to country, just don't remove the pre-paid grats and we all will have shown our support for the crew, especially the ones we never see. 

19 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Some workers who get tips on the first day consider it an insult.

Whenever  we cruise,, no matter the cruise line.  my husband always gave the cabinet attendant $20.00 (7 days, or more  for longer cruises)  ahead of time to remember we needed extra bath towels every day, and an extra comforter for our bed.  None of the attendants helping us ,  were ever insulted by the gesture.and we had piece of mind we had enough towels . (This is in addition to any tips at given at the end of the cruise.) 

• Like 2

The insult for tipping in advance would be that you think you have to bribe them in order to get better service.  Tipping in advance is trying to create an advantage for yourself over fellow passengers, too.  I think the idea that you get better service by "greasing the palms" is a bit antiquated in most modern settings.  You cannot prove a negative, but I have received the same level of service no matter when I've given a tip.  Good workers are good workers.  If you have a bad one, no amount of tipping on the first day is going to fix the underlying issue.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

The insult for tipping in advance would be that you think you have to bribe them in order to get better service.  Tipping in advance is trying to create an advantage for yourself over fellow passengers, too.  I think the idea that you get better service by "greasing the palms" is a bit antiquated in most modern settings.  You cannot prove a negative, but I have received the same level of service no matter when I've given a tip.  Good workers are good workers.  If you have a bad one, no amount of tipping on the first day is going to fix the underlying issue.

Sample size of one.

12 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

The insult for tipping in advance would be that you think you have to bribe them in order to get better service. Non-sense, rarely have I ever had a complaint about any service I have received on a cruise.  Maybe with your scientific data you could ask a crew member if tipping in this manner is "insulting", thinking we both know the answer already.

antiquated in most modern settings. A gratuity in any time is appreciated.  I have been in the service industry, I know, I have never turned one down and have always been very appreciative.

Good workers are good workers. Absolutely agree and if I chose to show my appreciation in advance as I recognize, esp on a ship, how hard they work, then I do and will continue to do that.

If you have a bad one.  I RARELY if ever had had a "bad" one.  On the limited occasion that I do, i just get to a relaxed convo with him/her, nice ice breaker and always works.  

We are all allowed to spend our $ in the manner that works best for us.  I have had nice results, YMMV.

I too was in the service industry (worker and manager) for many years, and I know that some people (some) find it insulting when a customer thinks they can get preferential treatment by buying it up front.  If anything, those are often the most demanding customers, and they expect you to be at their beck and call for the same overall tip amount that you would get anyway.  I'm not the only one to note this on Cruise Critic over the years or even in this thread.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I simply disagree with this position.

I am a fan of 'elevated service' and tipping your room attendant/butler early should provide that level of service.  If it does not, that is the only tip they will get.  But, I've always received a level of attention that earns another nice tip at the end of the cruise for the attendant.  Same for you favorite bar or bartender.  Ours has always been the Martini bar and we tip nicely first night, and each subsequent night we spend time there.   Not only does 'tipping in advance' grease the skids 🙂 it elevates service / level of attention we are looking for.   A couple hundred dollars over the thousands we're already spending is acceptable and it is going to folks that appreciate it.  
All that said, our next two cruises will be our first in Retreat class accommodations.  
Not sure we will need to tip to get the level of service we like - but 
I will likely tip the same.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hasentreelake said:

I simply disagree with this position.

I am a fan of 'elevated service' and tipping your room attendant/butler early should provide that level of service.  If it does not, that is the only tip they will get.  But, I've always received a level of attention that earns another nice tip at the end of the cruise for the attendant.  Same for you favorite bar or bartender.  Ours has always been the Martini bar and we tip nicely first night, and each subsequent night we spend time there.   Not only does 'tipping in advance' grease the skids 🙂 it elevates service / level of attention we are looking for.   A couple hundred dollars over the thousands we're already spending is acceptable and it is going to folks that appreciate it.  
All that said, our next two cruises will be our first in Retreat class accommodations.  
Not sure we will need to tip to get the level of service we like - but 
I will likely tip the same.

A few hundred?  I'm curious how much you tip the first time and each time after at a specific venue?  Do you stay at the same place or move around?

If I tip at a place like Blu it's to get a quieter table not to make the food come out faster.

How much do people tip the sommelier?  I find I don't use them much.  Maybe I should.  I tend to drink wine by the glass.

Edited by zitsky

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

A few hundred?  I'm curious how much you tip the first time and each time after at a specific venue?  Do you stay at the same place or move around?

If I tip at a place like Blu it's to get a quieter table not to make the food come out faster.

How much do people tip the sommelier?  I find I don't use them much.

Well... for the entire course of the cruise, a few hundred , yes.  
We (for whatever reason) frequent the martini bar, where I would tip $20 each night.  I might tip $50 the first night and $20 subsequent nights.  Other bars I am not looking for more than standard service, so nothing special, except at the place I know I'm going to hang out most nights.  I will tip something. $5 for one drink or two.  Maybe more if we stay longer. 
I am also a red wine drinker and really don't feel the ships sommelier is bringing anything special to the dance.  The wine list is very limited and I'm likely drinking the Decoy Cab every night.  But if we do something like a Chefs Table with wine pairing, that might open my wallet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How much do people tip the sommelier?  I find I don't use them much.  Maybe I should.  I tend to drink wine by the glass.

Unless this has changed, too, if you have a wine you'd like, and it's only by the bottle, and if it will 'hold' well if kept cool overnight, you can leave it with them, and they'll bring it back for another meal.

Whether we go glass or bottle in a given moment of the day will be decided by what they're currently offering in their 'premium' package, premium being a bit subjective.  If by the glass doesn't pan out, we always know we can turn up something nice in the bottle list.  USED to be that the one specialty restaurant had a better list, but I am hearing that it may not be necessary to ask particularly about such lists now?  Full available list in all dining venues?  We've been river cruising since 2014, even though E+ with X.

As for tipping the sommelier, we've been all over the map with that one.  Used to be that at a minimum, they kept the tip left on the bill at the end of meal service, but now with AI, hard to know how that's being managed if there's a lot more being served by the glass without a bill involved. 

Back in the day, if I brought or bought a bottle that really called for decanting, and they were sharp enough to do the job without me having to suggest it, and did it well, extra, extra tip.  Some, recognizing a truly stellar example, would also grab some nicer glassware from the specialty restaurant.  If they had to be asked to decant where appropriate, but still did a proper job of it, extra tip.

If they turned me on to something new that really did turn out to be a treat, extra tip.

If they seemed inexperienced and were unable to make truly helpful suggestions, they got whatever the standard added bar tip was on the bill.  I assume that's still tacked on for full bottles?

We've had them at both extremes of the spectrum over the years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

I agree that passengers should treat the staff well as they have a very difficult job and part of treating them well is showing respect to them as people first.  However, isn't the "feeling of worth" the responsibility of the employer and its management?

I'm  not sure that concept falls within the management style of many of the line managers on Celebrity.

49 minutes ago, hasentreelake said:

Well... for the entire course of the cruise, a few hundred , yes.  
We (for whatever reason) frequent the martini bar, where I would tip $20 each night.  I might tip $50 the first night and $20 subsequent nights.  Other bars I am not looking for more than standard service, so nothing special, except at the place I know I'm going to hang out most nights.  I will tip something. $5 for one drink or two.  Maybe more if we stay longer. 
I am also a red wine drinker and really don't feel the ships sommelier is bringing anything special to the dance.  The wine list is very limited and I'm likely drinking the Decoy Cab every night.  But if we do something like a Chefs Table with wine pairing, that might open my wallet.

Yes I had not thought about Chef's Table.

@canderson very interesting, thank you.

Edited by zitsky