Bermuda new protection edict!

Marygracie C.

Well I guess you can teach and old dog new tricks. I interpreted it as 72 hours PRIOR to embarcation, not within the 72 hour period prior to embarcation. That is why I was about to cancel, didn't want to chance not getting the results in time.

So, since we couldn't celebrate our 50 wedding aniversary with a cruise last year, thanks to all of you we will celebrate 51 years this year.

I will buy everyone with a drink package a drink.

1 hour ago, winemaker1 said:

the letter I received from NCL states, "Bermuda requires that all guests take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date.
· All guests must register on the Bermuda Tourism website and upload their negative test result within 72-hours of embarkation." Which to me means I must have the covid test results within 24 hours and upload them to Bermuda Tourism 72 hours prior to embarcation.

Ah, the mistake you are making is relying on NCL's letter. You are MUCH better off reviewing Bermuda's actual requirements:

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

1 hour ago, Cruisin MarcnFran said:

FYI for Long Islanders:

LI Urgent Care locations offer a rapid PCR for $175 p/p with 1 hour results. We have appointment at location in West Babylon. Last cruise we had test at CVS in Farmingdale and took 3 days for results…that one was $0.

That's great,  thanks for this.  I'd I have an issue with my Wed CVS test this gives me a backup option

For those in NY NJ metropolitan area, and those who arrive at the port at least 24 hours ahead of time and don't have their PCR test results..

I just got my test and results from LabQ within 24 hours.  They accept insurance.  I just walked up, filled out the form, no cost up front.  When you get a PCR test, they require giving an antibody IGG test to see if you've been possibly infected with COVID before and have the antibodies.  A finger jab (pr__ck), then swab, and done.  They operate mobile test sites NY and NJ.  I found it from the New York State Covid testing search site so they are legit.  Sure enough I got my results with 24 hours and didn't pay a dime.  They claim to have never exceeded 24 hours.  Their testing lab is in Brooklyn NY which explains why they are fast.  Their mobile vans simply drive back to their own Brooklyn lab.

Quest Diagnostics and other well known testing labs will not guarantee fast results because they prioritize results for hospital and other healthcare providers. Many labs advertise 2 to 3 days which is too close for my comfort.

Edited by kylenyc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kylenyc said:

For those in NY NJ metropolitan area, and those who arrive at the port at least 24 hours ahead of time and don't have their PCR test results..

I just got my test and results from LabQ within 24 hours.  They accept insurance.  I just walked up, filled out the form, no cost up front.  When you get a PCR test, they require giving an antibody IGG test to see if you've been possibly infected with COVID before and have the antibodies.  A finger jab (pr__ck), then swab, and done.  They operate mobile test sites NY and NJ.  I found it from the New York State Covid testing search site so they are legit.  Sure enough I got my results with 24 hours and didn't pay a dime.  They claim to have never exceeded 24 hours.  Their testing lab is in Brooklyn NY which explains why they are fast.  Their mobile vans simply drive back to their own Brooklyn lab.

Quest Diagnostics and other well known testing labs will not guarantee fast results because they prioritize results for hospital and other healthcare providers. Many labs advertise 2 to 3 days which is too close for my comfort.

As was pointed out on the other thread where you posted this, getting tested 24 or so hours prior to the cruise will not give you enough time to satisfy Bermuda's requirements for submission of the their Travel Authorization application.

Edited by njhorseman

19 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Ah, the mistake you are making is relying on NCL's letter. You are MUCH better off reviewing Bermuda's actual requirements:

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Thanks but that web site is part of my confusion. It states Day 1 get test, Day 2 (which is two days prior to departure) upload test results.

11 minutes ago, winemaker1 said:

Thanks but that web site is part of my confusion. It states Day 1 get test, Day 2 (which is two days prior to departure) upload test results.

No...Day 2 is 3 days prior to departure. Departure day is Day 5 on the chart:

Screen-Shot-2021-08-11-at-1.00.19-PM.png

Read what the sentence below the chart says:

Step 1: Pre-Book your COVID-19 PCR test in advance to ensure test is taken first thing on Day 1. Your COVID-19 PCR test is 4 days before your departure day from the cruise ship terminal to Bermuda (Day 1 in the grid above)

Edited by njhorseman

1 minute ago, winemaker1 said:

I think that's for simplicity's sake. You can actually upload your results days 2-4. You can see in the actual text of the page, it says to allow 24 hours for Bermuda to process applications. All of the people on Crystal sailings for the past several weeks have been able to submit their applications on the Friday or Saturday before their Sunday sailing. They even had some people showing up at the pier without completed applications, but I wouldn't expect that to work out as well with NCL, because the Crystal sailings only had ~180 passengers. I don't think NCL/Bermuda will have the infrastructure in place to deal with a lot of people showing up to the pier without completed applications when there are ~2700 passengers.

As evidenced by this and other threads, this whole mess is out of control insane, with no one actually having the big flick as it changes from day today. How in the world the other non CC cruisers, who don't follow this with such interest, will ever get it all right, don't know.  And now Carnival is dropping at the pier testing because of logistics with a 2000+ number of guests.  Meet the new CDC requirement, how?  

Carnival Cruise Line has dropped its plans to carry out COVID-19 testing at its terminals, according to a letter sent to guests by the cruise line’s President Christine Duffy.

“While we had previously raised the possibility of more on-site testing at our terminals, the logistics of making this service widely available to a large number of guests does not make this a viable option,” Duffy wrote.

Previously, Carnival’s website said that the cruise line was “working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure.”

The need for the availability of this service was enhanced by the new CDC rules stating that, as of Sept. 13, pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests must be taken within two days prior to the sailing date.

As the cruise line revealed its plans for at-terminal testing, it said that the service would be chargeable for a “per-person fee,” which was "to be established." The mobile labs were planned to be located either in or adjacent to Carnival's terminals or within walking distance.

4 minutes ago, roger001 said:

As evidenced by this and other threads, this whole mess is out of control insane, with no one actually having the big flick as it changes from day today. How in the world the other non CC cruisers, who don't follow this with such interest, will ever get it all right, don't know.  And now Carnival is dropping at the pier testing because of logistics with a 2000+ number of guests.  Meet the new CDC requirement, how?  

Carnival Cruise Line has dropped its plans to carry out COVID-19 testing at its terminals, according to a letter sent to guests by the cruise line’s President Christine Duffy.

“While we had previously raised the possibility of more on-site testing at our terminals, the logistics of making this service widely available to a large number of guests does not make this a viable option,” Duffy wrote.

Previously, Carnival’s website said that the cruise line was “working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure.”

The need for the availability of this service was enhanced by the new CDC rules stating that, as of Sept. 13, pre-cruise testing for vaccinated guests must be taken within two days prior to the sailing date.

As the cruise line revealed its plans for at-terminal testing, it said that the service would be chargeable for a “per-person fee,” which was "to be established." The mobile labs were planned to be located either in or adjacent to Carnival's terminals or within walking distance.

Not sure the Carnival news is relevant here, but it makes me wonder why they can't do it, but NCL can. NCL has planned to do at-the-pier testing since April, iirc and has been doing it successfully for all of their sailings up until now.

In any case, I agree that the protocols are onerous... especially because communication has been very unclear. The letter from NCL caused more confusion than it solved. It was pretty explicit in that letter that NCL wanted you to do the PCR test at 96 hours and another test within 72 hours for their own purposes. But then NCL's VP of Guest Services is telling anyone that asks that the 72 hour testing isn't required for Bermuda sailings because of the 96 hour requirement.

Also, there is clearly a lot of confusion about when you need to actually have your result in hand to get them uploaded to your travel authorization in time for approval.

And, of course, there's the fact that Bermuda's site still doesn't even have the application available for any future sailings!

7 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Not sure the Carnival news is relevant here, but it makes me wonder why they can't do it, but NCL can. NCL has planned to do at-the-pier testing since April, iirc and has been doing it successfully for all of their sailings up until now.

I'm sure Carnival can't do it because they can't find a vendor or  vendors to do it . NCL can do it because, as you said, NCL had been planning testing at the pier since April so they have the necessary contracts in place with vendors.

NCL was doing the advance planning for testing to satisfy their own protocols, not the government's protocols, while Carnival and other cruise lines not already doing at-the-pier testing were only recently hit with an unexpected edict from the CDC that requires testing within 2 days of embarkation.

21 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

And, of course, there's the fact that Bermuda's site still doesn't even have the application available for any future sailings!

Why should the application be available for future cruises when it can't be submitted for approval until, at the earliest, 3 days prior to embarkation ? The timeline on the website's chart and the associated instructions should be sufficient to permit you to plan how you're going to comply with Bermuda's requirements.

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Why should the application be available for future cruises when it can't be submitted for approval until, at the earliest, 3 days prior to embarkation ? The timeline on the website's chart and the associated instructions should be sufficient to permit you to plan how you're going to comply with Bermuda's requirements.

You're right that it doesn't *need* to be, but it was available for all of Crystal's sailings through Sept. 12 all at once and there was language on the page that you could begin your application up to 30 days in advance. That language now seems to be gone and no future cruises are listed. Crystal's next sailing is September 24, so we will see if they make something available for them at least on Monday, since that is when they need to take their PCR test.

In this day and age of cruising, anything and everything associated with our collective (all cruise lines) doing it one way or another is relevant even if we are trying to book only with NCL. That is if we're  to try and anticipate what is next.  Not at all unlike your including Crystal's issues into the discussion.   It all goes towards establishing the "big flick" and trying to make decisions, expensive and now stressful ones.   My opinion......

2 minutes ago, roger001 said:

In this day and age of cruising, anything and everything associated with our collective (all cruise lines) doing it one way or another is relevant even if we are trying to book only with NCL. That is if we're  to try and anticipate what is next.  Not at all unlike your including Crystal's issues into the discussion.   It all goes towards establishing the "big flick" and trying to make decisions, expensive and now stressful ones.   My opinion......

Ah, but this thread is about cruises to Bermuda. Crystal is/has been cruising to Bermuda. Carnival is/has not.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

No...Day 2 is 3 days prior to departure. Departure day is Day 5 on the chart:

Screen-Shot-2021-08-11-at-1.00.19-PM.png

Read what the sentence below the chart says:

Step 1: Pre-Book your COVID-19 PCR test in advance to ensure test is taken first thing on Day 1. Your COVID-19 PCR test is 4 days before your departure day from the cruise ship terminal to Bermuda (Day 1 in the grid above)

The point I was trying to make and the confusion seems to be; day 1 take the test, day 2 upload the test, it does not say you can still upload the test on day 3, day 4 or departure day. Especially since we are to receive approved TA on day 4, which is a day before departure day.

SOOOO must the test be uploaded on day 2 ONLY??? I am going to contact NCL

9 minutes ago, winemaker1 said:

The point I was trying to make and the confusion seems to be; day 1 take the test, day 2 upload the test, it does not say you can still upload the test on day 3, day 4 or departure day. Especially since we are to receive approved TA on day 4, which is a day before departure day.

SOOOO must the test be uploaded on day 2 ONLY??? I am going to contact NCL

You can contact Bermuda's TA approvals email/phone, as many others have done, if it will put your mind at ease. I do NOT recommend contacting NCL, as their reps are pretty clueless about Bermuda's procedures. The email is TAapprovals@gov.bm and the phone is +1 (441) 444-2498 extension 1.

Edit: here is a toll free number I found since the other Bermuda number is international/long distance: 833-570-2594

Edited by JamieLogical

24 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

You can contact Bermuda's TA approvals email/phone, as many others have done, if it will put your mind at ease. I do NOT recommend contacting NCL, as their reps are pretty clueless about Bermuda's procedures. The email is TAapprovals@gov.bm and the phone is +1 (441) 444-2498 extension 1.

Edit: here is a toll free number I found since the other Bermuda number is international/long distance: 833-570-2594

Thank you Jamie. You seem to be a positive helpful person, not like some who are only interested in correcting counting errors!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, winemaker1 said:

Thank you Jamie. You seem to be a positive helpful person, not like some who are only interested in correcting counting errors!

If you do contact Bermuda and get any more specific information/clarification, please come back and post it here!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

You're right that it doesn't *need* to be, but it was available for all of Crystal's sailings through Sept. 12 all at once and there was language on the page that you could begin your application up to 30 days in advance. That language now seems to be gone and no future cruises are listed. Crystal's next sailing is September 24, so we will see if they make something available for them at least on Monday, since that is when they need to take their PCR test.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're using the extra time between the last Crystal cruise from Boston and the first Crystal cruise from NY to revise the application, not to mention that they really need to upgrade their ability to process them given there may be 10 to 15 times the number of passengers on the NCL cruises than the Crystal cruises. Bermuda seemed to be struggling to process the applications of 200 passengers on the Crystal cruises in a timely fashion so they have a lot of work to do before than can start taking NCL's applications.

50 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they're using the extra time between the last Crystal cruise from Boston and the first Crystal cruise from NY to revise the application, not to mention that they really need to upgrade their ability to process them given there may be 10 to 15 times the number of passengers on the NCL cruises than the Crystal cruises. Bermuda seemed to be struggling to process the applications of 200 passengers on the Crystal cruises in a timely fashion so they have a lot of work to do before than can start taking NCL's applications.

Yeah, and I watched the full video of the Bermuda Health Minister and the Director of their hospital yesterday and it sounds like Bermuda is struggling with a lot generally right now.

Edited by JamieLogical

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Yeah, and I watched the full video of the Bermuda Health Minister and the Director of their hospital yesterday and it sounds like Bermuda is struggling with a lot generally right now.

Yikes.  Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if these upcoming trips are cancelled.  Watching this I’m having a hard time believing Bermuda will allow a ship with thousands of passengers to descend on the island.  I hope I’m wrong.  😢

4 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Yikes.  Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if these upcoming trips are cancelled.  Watching this I’m having a hard time believing Bermuda will allow a ship with thousands of passengers to descend on the island.  I hope I’m wrong.  😢

I'm on the 9/26 sailing. Fingers crossed.They wouldn't cancel. They would simply change itinerary to Bahamas.

22 hours ago, njhorseman said:

As was pointed out on the other thread where you posted this, getting tested 24 or so hours prior to the cruise will not give you enough time to satisfy Bermuda's requirements for submission of the their Travel Authorization application.

i'm not sure what the confusion or controversy around lab q is. i recommended them myself for bermuda's PCR test in a prior post in this thread. all that is being stated is that they return results reliably within 24 hours. i do not think anyone is suggesting getting a required test within 24 hours of the sail date.

lab q remains a terrific option for those in new york city at no cost (assuming you have insurance)