Bermuda new protection edict!

Marygracie C.

Hi

i think ncl breakaway will still sail to Bermuda. Even though it is at the highest level. They stand to make a lot of money from the cruisers. I can’t see them telling ncl not to come unless they have a lock down.

even with the high covid cases the only way the cruise ship will not be allow if the government close the borders. I do not think that will happen. 

24 minutes ago, goldmom said:

I think that the only thing that would change the itinerary will be if Bermuda decides that they can not handle a ship the size of the Breakaway with their current level of the virus and closes the island off to NCL.

well, as of a few days ago, bermuda had the highest level of COVID per capita than any other location on the planet.

and bermuda did cancel an outdoor food festival (taste of bermuda) scheduled for this weekend... and it wasn't a bunch of people walking around in close proximity... it was a drive-in event. and in addition to eliminating bus service, they have instituted an overnight curfew. employees are being advised to work from home, if possible,  and all schools are conducting virtual classes. oh, and the hospital has moved to "disaster alert level 4."  the court system and the police are operating with limited services and the football (soccer) club canceled its first game.

so that does give you an idea of the level of seriousness with which bermuda is treating the worsening situation. it is entirely possible that bermuda will bar cruise ships, but not because they are afraid of spread by passengers... there may simply not be enough workers at the dock, enough people to run tours and ferries or enough staff in the shops to sell tourists tchotchkes. these are not considered essential services.

2 minutes ago, UKstages said:

it is entirely possible that bermuda will bar cruise ships, but not because they are afraid of spread by passengers... there may simply not be enough workers at the dock, enough people to run tours and ferries or enough staff in the shops to sell tourists tchotchkes. these are not considered essential services.

That is exactly what I think could happen. They may decide that they simply can logistically handle an influx of 2700 people. Having a cruise ship dock requires customs, security, dock workers, transportation, public services, government workers to process 2700 travel authorization forms, etc... With so much of their population under quarantine, it may simply not be possible to accomplish all of this.

exactly.

and do we know if there are other ships scheduled to dock at the same time? i imagine there are. so, it's not just 2700 or so... it's another 1500 from this cruise line and another 1000 or so from that cruise line.

my concern is for the folks on the 9/26 sailing... because this decision may not come down before the weekend. so it's entirely possible that the ship may leave NYC headed to bermuda and then reroute or become a "cruise to nowhere." or worse, they could cancel it on saturday, just as people are flying to new york for the sunday cruise.

i'm on the 10/10 sailing, so i have just four or five days left in which to cancel before the 15 day POM deadline.

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

exactly.

and do we know if there are other ships scheduled to dock at the same time? i imagine there are. so, it's not just 2700 or so... it's another 1500 from this cruise line and another 1000 or so from that cruise line.

my concern is for the folks on the 9/26 sailing... because this decision may not come down before the weekend. so it's entirely possible that the ship may leave NYC headed to bermuda and then reroute or become a "cruise to nowhere." or worse, they could cancel it on saturday, just as people are flying to new york for the sunday cruise.

i'm on the 10/10 sailing, so i have just four or five days left in which to cancel before the 15 day POM deadline.

No, the only other cruise ship scheduled to dock in Bermuda next week is the Crystal Symphony and it will be leaving port before the Breakaway arrives. It also is only carrying about 180 passengers.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, UKstages said:

well, as of a few days ago, bermuda had the highest level of COVID per capita than any other location on the planet.

and bermuda did cancel an outdoor food festival (taste of bermuda) scheduled for this weekend... and it wasn't a bunch of people walking around in close proximity... it was a drive-in event. and in addition to eliminating bus service, they have instituted an overnight curfew. employees are being advised to work from home, if possible,  and all schools are conducting virtual classes. oh, and the hospital has moved to "disaster alert level 4."  the court system and the police are operating with limited services and the football (soccer) club canceled its first game.

so that does give you an idea of the level of seriousness with which bermuda is treating the worsening situation. it is entirely possible that bermuda will bar cruise ships, but not because they are afraid of spread by passengers... there may simply not be enough workers at the dock, enough people to run tours and ferries or enough staff in the shops to sell tourists tchotchkes. these are not considered essential services.

CDC moved Bermuda today to "very high risk-level 4" travel advisory.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Every single island in the Caribbean is also level 4, and NCL is still sailing to many of those on the Gem, so I don't expect any changes based on Bermuda's level 4 designation....

I agree. And as a heads up, Bahamas have been going down in cases for Covid. They are over the hump and I’m expecting the CDC to lower their rating in the next few weeks. I think they have to wait 2 weeks for a continuous change in numbers before they change their rating. I know Bermuda has changed dramatically over the last 2 weeks. Not that any of that means anything at this point. What a crazy ride this is. 

Ironically, I just saw on one of those links it was supposed to be Octoberfest when we’re supposed to be there (Oct 3 sailing), but now that’s cancelled.  I didn’t know that was happening. That would’ve been interesting if it was on when we were there!  Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by psac
  • Like 1

On Friday, Crystal is doing their New York to Bermuda cruises similar to Norwegian . It might be a good idea to look at the crystal forums for any possible changes.

with no bus service, no/very limited ferry service, most events is canceled, business still might be closed. i wonder what is there to do in Bermuda if the ship docks for a few days. Also wondering if Norwegian is still running their own ferry service too

• Like 1

So since there has been no new notification from NCL, those on the 9/26 cruise have already sent in the $75pp non refundable TA fee to Bermuda.  We all have PCR tests booked for tomorrow.  Some of us are even paying $100 to $200 for a rapid PCR test to make sure they get them early while others who are taking the free test are hoping and praying they get them back in time to send to Bermuda.  All this and the anxiety to go with it just to maybe have this cruise cancelled or put on another itinerary makes me sorry I booked this first cruise.  I hope things go better for the other sailings.

I find it hard to believe that NCL would cruise to a level 4 CDC designated country. We are scheduled to sail on 10/17 and will spend $600 to get tested and for Bermuda's TA fee. Just think NCL needs to do something today for those sailing on Sunday

7 minutes ago, putums said:

I find it hard to believe that NCL would cruise to a level 4 CDC designated country. We are scheduled to sail on 10/17 and will spend $600 to get tested and for Bermuda's TA fee. Just think NCL needs to do something today for those sailing on Sunday

Um... they are already cruising to several Level 4 countries on the Gem....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, putums said:

As of right now, the Gem is sailing to:

• Roatan - Level 3
  • Belize - Level 4
  • Mexico - Level 3
  • Bahamas - Level 4
  • USVI - Level 4
  • Puerto Rico - Level 4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I seriously doubt that NCL has the reserves at this point to offer refunds. I think they will sail and make modifications once they are at sea. They are in survival mode. We look at it this way: 7 days on the ship is better than 7 days at home. I think we are all connected in some way to a business or industry that has been profoundly disrupted by the pandemic. But what industry has been affected more than cruising? They are desperate. I want cruising to bounce back which is why we booked this trip. The testing fees and Bermuda travel fees are annoying and the timeline is stressful but we stayed in past the generous cancellation date because we want to sail out of New York and see what happens. Just our viewpoint.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, cruzercruiser said:

I seriously doubt that NCL has the reserves at this point to offer refunds. I think they will sail and make modifications once they are at sea. They are in survival mode. We look at it this way: 7 days on the ship is better than 7 days at home. I think we are all connected in some way to a business or industry that has been profoundly disrupted by the pandemic. But what industry has been affected more than cruising? They are desperate. I want cruising to bounce back which is why we booked this trip. The testing fees and Bermuda travel fees are annoying and the timeline is stressful but we stayed in past the generous cancellation date because we want to sail out of New York and see what happens. Just our viewpoint.

I think you underestimate NCL's reserves. After all, they offered cash refunds to people on my 9/4 encore sailing due to positive covid cases onboard, which they certainly didn't have to do seeing as everyone who tested positive was isolated until they tested negative. I believe they offered the same thing to the 9/11 sailing as well. 

I do agree that they will just change the itinerary vs cancelling tho. 

I'd say that 317 replies/thoughts in this thread, that still can't offer any conclusive answers,  certainly testifies to the stress, complexity, and uncertainty of the cruising situation right now.  I was about to book a Haven on the Bliss yesterday, now here I go again, wait another month or so and see where the virus is then going....and I'll have a booster by then.  Cruising for us, not that many but still 23 so far, has always been among other things like ports, was the total complete relaxed adventure it was.  Show up at the dock and just get a big grin on your face.  Now, arriving at the dock is loaded with uncertainty, both there and even on board some.   Guess I'll be anxiously awaiting your reports from the next few weeks  and maybe I'll do it....or not.   Only did Bermuda once but was definitely one of our favorites.  But it is mostly all about the time you have there in port and the ability to wander....including the required trip into the Swizzle Inn.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzercruiser said:

I seriously doubt that NCL has the reserves at this point to offer refunds

As of June 310, 2021, per NCLH's 10-Q filing, they had $2.75 billion dollars in cash and cash equivalents on hand. So yes, they have the money to issue refunds if that were required, although that is certainly not what they would want to do if there were alternatives such as a revised itinerary that would prevent having to make refunds.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

As of right now, the Gem is sailing to:

• Roatan - Level 3
  • Belize - Level 4
  • Mexico - Level 3
  • Bahamas - Level 4
  • USVI - Level 4
  • Puerto Rico - Level 4

Plus the Gem sails out of Florida, which would probably be considered a Level 5. 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, shof515 said:

On Friday, Crystal is doing their New York to Bermuda cruises similar to Norwegian . It might be a good idea to look at the crystal forums for any possible changes.

with no bus service, no/very limited ferry service, most events is canceled, business still might be closed. i wonder what is there to do in Bermuda if the ship docks for a few days. Also wondering if Norwegian is still running their own ferry service too

No Bus Service?  Hopefully the taxis can handle it

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

No Bus Service?  Hopefully the taxis can handle it

I wouldn't bank on there being no bus service by the time we arrive next Wednesday. The transportation workers' union is arguing for safer working conditions and the negotiations are ongoing each day, so as of right now, this is a day-to-day thing. Hopefully they will reach some agreement by the middle of next week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I wouldn't bank on there being no bus service by the time we arrive next Wednesday. The transportation workers' union is arguing for safer working conditions and the negotiations are ongoing each day, so as of right now, this is a day-to-day thing. Hopefully they will reach some agreement by the middle of next week.

The last time I rode the buses any decent distance was from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay pre-van service (a godsend IMO).  A late morning bus was packed to the gills and the ride took 45 minutes or so.  Then the hill down, and worse, back up for the return.  When the bus is your only way out, it's not that comfortable.  If it's the only option (other than a high priced cab ride) people may not be happy with it for a three day stay.  And I wouldn't bother with 2 hours to get to St. George's, which is my favorite part of the island.

12 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

The last time I rode the buses any decent distance was from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay pre-van service (a godsend IMO).  A late morning bus was packed to the gills and the ride took 45 minutes or so.  Then the hill down, and worse, back up for the return.  When the bus is your only way out, it's not that comfortable.  If it's the only option (other than a high priced cab ride) people may not be happy with it for a three day stay.  And I wouldn't bother with 2 hours to get to St. George's, which is my favorite part of the island.

Hopefully the ferry (either NCL's or the public ferry) will be running to St. George's. I did take a ferry to Hamilton and then a bus from Hamilton to St. George's once. That bus trip wasn't bad... definitely was NOT crowded. Our bus driver even took us on a detour to see some of the fancier houses on the way, because we were the only ones onboard and he was treating it almost like a tour guide at that point! In any case, I hope ferries are running at the very least!