Viking to Hawaii?

Clay Clayton

1 hour ago, aungrl said:

Can you expand on your thought, Clay?  If they did an east coast departure - where we could drive instead of fly to the port - we'd book it in a hot minute.

They would probably do a one-way re-positioning cruise Miami to LA.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Vincent - we would too! 

I looked on Viking Ocean web site and I cannot find anything on Hawaii cruises.  However, on that Book of F's site, several people have stated they already booked this cruise - both Dec 3-13 and Dec 13-23 out of Los Angeles.   Wondering where it is to be found?  Perhaps Travel Agents got it this weekend and it gets published to us regular folks on Monday.

Kent I'm travel agent friend is going to investigate. Hopefully by tomorrow (Monday) we'll know. Sea days are the best!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Myrtle Ave. Mayhem said:

Kent I'm travel agent friend is going to investigate. Hopefully by tomorrow (Monday) we'll know. Sea days are the best!

Thanks!  Yes, love sea days, and going out of San Pedro would be great (for you too!).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aungrl said:

Can you expand on your thought, Clay?  If they did an east coast departure - where we could drive instead of fly to the port - we'd book it in a hot minute.

Orion is in Bermuda now.  Has to get to Los Angeles at some point, presumably through the canal….of course maybe they will love her empty?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Vincent - we would too! 

I looked on Viking Ocean web site and I cannot find anything on Hawaii cruises.  However, on that Book of F's site, several people have stated they already booked this cruise - both Dec 3-13 and Dec 13-23 out of Los Angeles.   Wondering where it is to be found?  Perhaps Travel Agents got it this weekend and it gets published to us regular folks on Monday.

there are 2 cruises 'Hawaiian Islands Sojourn', Dec 4 and Dec 20 on the Orion.  It is not listed on the Viking site but you can call.  The price was $4299 per person in whatever the cheapest room is.  I haven't ever done Viking so I don't know the differences there.   Day 1-embark LA   Days 2-6 at sea.  Day 7-Hilo, HI  Day 8- Honolulu  Day 9-Kauai and Day 10-Maui.   Days 11-15 @ sea  Day 16 Ensenada  Day 17-LA.    

There is a gap in Orion's itineraries from ending Bermuda September 24, 2021 to beginning a cruise from Auckland February 21, 2022. That would leave open cruises in the Pacific after the two Hawaiian Sojurns.

Sailing without passengers through the transit to LA  is possible. Remember they sailed the Star across the Atlantic to deliver packages to Jupiter and Sky in Seydisfjordur.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Brilliant move on Viking’s part! There is a segment of cruisers that love lots of sea days.

Hawaii is among strictest for Covid. 
real kick in the pants if trip became 100% sea days.  Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

We used to do this trip annually in January on Princess.  The first 4-5 days were frequently in rough seas.  We would love to do the cruise on Viking, but Hawaii is currently covid crazy and wearing a mask on a fully vaccinated ship is a deal breaker for us.  When Covid restrictions go away, we are in.

11 hours ago, davidsdesire said:

there are 2 cruises 'Hawaiian Islands Sojourn', Dec 4 and Dec 20 on the Orion.  It is not listed on the Viking site but you can call.  The price was $4299 per person in whatever the cheapest room is.  I haven't ever done Viking so I don't know the differences there.   Day 1-embark LA   Days 2-6 at sea.  Day 7-Hilo, HI  Day 8- Honolulu  Day 9-Kauai and Day 10-Maui.   Days 11-15 @ sea  Day 16 Ensenada  Day 17-LA.    

This makes sense as there is a blank square on the website page for America cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDHusker said:

Also a Grand Hawaii & Polynesia 32 day cruise, LA - LA, does the Hawaii cruise and then on the Tahiti

I'm confused.  Can you clarify?   Where do you have your information from?  Viking?  Are you saying a Hawaii to Tahiti cruise?

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

I'm confused.  Can you clarify?   Where do you have your information from?  Viking?  Are you saying a Hawaii to Tahiti cruise?

The one quoted to me by Viking was a 32 day cruise from LA to LA with multiple stops in Hawaii and Tahiti.  Quite a good price too.  All over the phone.

2 hours ago, LisaDee said:

My fingers are crossed for a Panama Canal transit cruise in November!

I don't think cruise ships are allowed to transit with passengers due to covid regulations from Panama. Ships will go thru quick without passengers.

Edited by bluesea777

37 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

I don't think cruise ships are allowed to transit with passengers due to covid regulations from Panama. Ships will go thru quick without passengers.

Do you have a source for that?  I can find nothing so stating. According to the Panamanian tourism site, the country is reopen to tourists with some restrictions.  Given canal passages don’t have to port, not sure why they wouldn’t allow passengers to transit. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Do you have a source for that?  I can find nothing so stating. According to the Panamanian tourism site, the country is reopen to tourists with some restrictions.  Given canal passages don’t have to port, not sure why they wouldn’t allow passengers to transit. 

I'll have to google but I do remember reading somewhere that cruise lines aren't ready (or allowed) to cruise the itineraries that include Panama canal transit.

12 hours ago, SDHusker said:

The one quoted to me by Viking was a 32 day cruise from LA to LA with multiple stops in Hawaii and Tahiti.  Quite a good price too.  All over the phone.

Probably filling the gap following the Australia/New Zealand cancellations

10 hours ago, Azulann said:

Here is the  poster who is the expert on Panama Canal  information on Cruise Critic.

Nothing in that thread about ships with passengers not being allowed to transit…just that the canal fees are going up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Nothing in that thread about ships with passengers not being allowed to transit…just that the canal fees are going up. 

From what I've seen on Panamanian government sites, passengers on cruise ships are not allowed to disembark in Panama, but there does not seem to be any restrictions on passengers on vessels in transit.  They may have to require masks for passengers if any Canal employees get into passenger areas, but that isn't common.  The crew will have to mask when in contact with Canal employees.

I believe what bluesea777 is referring to, is the CDC ban on voyages to/from the US more than 7 days, but I believe that has been dropped or modified.

• Like 4

On 8/15/2021 at 11:14 AM, Jim Avery said:

The upcoming World Cruises have stops in Hawaii but I have not seen a Viking r/t California to Hawaii.  Interesting though.  But yes, you have got to love sea days. 🍸

Jim - do you have some info to share on this subject?

BTW - just called our TA for pricing and availability😁🍺

Could Viking be still gauging interest? Seven full days at sea with two ports and then another seven full days to return to LA. That is a lot of time at sea for only two ports. Most newer cruise ships sail at 22-24 knots but I think Viking ships sail at only 18-19 knots.

5 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Could Viking be still gauging interest? Seven full days at sea with two ports and then another seven full days to return to LA. That is a lot of time at sea for only two ports. Most newer cruise ships sail at 22-24 knots but I think Viking ships sail at only 18-19 knots.

Just read this after I posted. I guess the ship speed the reason?

• Like 1