updated list of caribbean islands that will not allow cruise ships to visit?

retired dude

15 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Do you have a link for this?   (A quick Google search did not turn one up.)  Thanks.

This is the link to the article but it was corrected since I originally looked at it.  St. Kitts does not have a limit on cruise ship size. https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/USVI-bans-cruise-ships-unvaccinated-passengers

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Do you have a link for this?   (A quick Google search did not turn one up.)  Thanks.

That was originally reported incorrectly.  Actual situation widely reported on 9 August.  Example:

https://today.caricom.org/2021/08/09/no-cruise-ships-until-vaccination-and-testing-protocols-can-be-clearly-identified-st-kitts-nevis-tourism-minister/

With the advent of full vax cruises out of Florida by X - since so many ports now require it - St Kitts should get squared away soon enough.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, mayleeman said:

Any idea what is going on for Bonaire? It seems to be omitted from X's list of rqmts for various islands.

Been wondering that myself.  We have golf carts reserved there, but pretty sure I read recently that Bonaire doesn’t want cruise ship passengers.

NO, NO, NO!  No fret!

@CTSandy

Beware any information you read here that's more than about a day old.  Things are changing far too fast.

As of yesterday:

https://www.caribbeannewsglobal.com/government-and-tourism-corporation-bonaire-announces-the-restart-of-cruise-tourism-after-17-months/

Equinox will be the first to visit on 2 September.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

24 hour Pcr test prior to embarkation? Are they joking? That’s an impossible requirement. Thoughts out there?

I can think of a couple of different approaches, but X would have to become more actively involved in coordinating testing than they have been in the U.S.  There's a very different partnership between X and testing in Europe that could even produce results for pax in the early days of the itinerary, with results sent to the ship.

At lowered capacity, X could also have contracted for a larger onboard lab.

Since it seems X has a plan in place for Equinox that has satisfied Bonaire.  Will be interesting to see what it is.

50 minutes ago, canderson said:

I can think of a couple of different approaches, but X would have to become more actively involved in coordinating testing than they have been in the U.S.  There's a very different partnership between X and testing in Europe that could even produce results for pax in the early days of the itinerary, with results sent to the ship.

At lowered capacity, X could also have contracted for a larger onboard lab.

Since it seems X has a plan in place for Equinox that has satisfied Bonaire.  Will be interesting to see what it is.

Maybe X plan for Bonaire is to skip it. Just because Equinox is scheduled to go there means she will. Probly cheaper for X to sub a day at sea than pay for testing.

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

24 hour Pcr test prior to embarkation? Are they joking? That’s an impossible requirement. Thoughts out there? Requirements seem to be getting more restrictive by the day.

I'm not sure if this is an issue.  It says 24 hours before departure from home port.  How quickly does any cruise ship get to Bonaire?  If, for instance, you departed on a Saturday, you could get a test as late as Friday.  If the test results took, say, three days to come through, then if you arrived in Tuesday or later in Bonaire, the results would be valid.  Doesn't seem so restrictive, except for the fact that people flying in early will need to find a test site near the departure port within a day of cruising.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Maybe X plan for Bonaire is to skip it. Just because Equinox is scheduled to go there means she will. Probly cheaper for X to sub a day at sea than pay for testing.

Anata wa sugu ni wakarimas.  The folks in Bonaire sounded pretty positive about an Equinox visit.  Only two weeks from today.

7 hours ago, susiesan said:

Since we are on that first Equinox cruise to Bonaire,  Celebrity has said they are prepared to meet any testing requirements onboard for any port visited. My TA and several on our RC have confirmed this directly with Celebrity. They already provide PCR tests onboard for any passengers flying home internationally after cruising. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I wonder if their labs on board can handle all passengers on board vs just those flying internationally. How many are flying internationally as the US ban from Europe is still on? Yes?

Not all passengers will need to be tested, only those who intend to get off at the port requiring the tests.  For example, we have no intention of getting off in Nassau as we have no shore excursions planned and most of the shops and bars are still closed. On our cruise next week we have Canadians on board who will need to be tested to fly home. I think we may even have a few from the UK as well.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Not all passengers will need to be tested, only those who intend to get off at the port requiring the tests.  For example, we have no intention of getting off in Nassau as we have no shore excursions planned and most of the shops and bars are still closed. On our cruise next week we have Canadians on board who will need to be tested to fly home. I think we may even have a few from the UK as well.

We're on the Sept 17 cruise which also goes to Bonaire so I'll be interested to hear how this works out.  I hope someone will be able to post updates about this while on board.  Our itinerary only includes the ABC islands since Nassau was eliminated so I hope Bonaire will be a go.  Either way we'll be happy to be back at sea. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2021 at 1:06 PM, MartinsCruise said:

We're on the Sept 17 cruise which also goes to Bonaire so I'll be interested to hear how this works out.  I hope someone will be able to post updates about this while on board.  Our itinerary only includes the ABC islands since Nassau was eliminated so I hope Bonaire will be a go.  Either way we'll be happy to be back at sea. 

MartinsCruise,

Do you mind me asking what paperwork they asked for at Bonaire?  Specifically, did they ask for negative covid test results or just a vaccination card?

27 minutes ago, stephensfamily5 said:

MartinsCruise,

Do you mind me asking what paperwork they asked for at Bonaire?  Specifically, did they ask for negative covid test results or just a vaccination card?

They didn't ask for anything when we went.   We only had to show our vaccination card to leave the ship.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2021 at 12:35 PM, davekathy said:

Celebrity needs to mandate everyone be vaccinated no matter their age, medical condition(s) or excuse(s) before boarding any of their ships. 

I was on the Edge in Sept. All passengers (excluding 6 children under 12) were fully vaccinated, including crew.  We had no outbreaks , and no masks.  I believe Celebrity continues its all vaccinated cruises.