How long do you wait before you book excursions?

CruizinKittie40

My cruise is October 17.  The excursions I want to take will total around $700 per person so I want to make sure this cruise is actually going to happen before I pay for them.  I just wondered if I should wait until October 1 or go ahead now and pay for them. What are you all doing?

I booked /PIF Alaska on July 4 for a Sep 4 sailing. 

The same day, I booked dining and a shore excursion for each port.

On July 5, called NCL and booked Thermal Spa.

Just like you, at the 2-month mark.

When I Cruise Disney, my loyalty level books at 120 days pre-Cruise, so that’s what I am comfortable with doing to get excursions I want.  (That was sailing full ships and possibly more excursion vendors?). And we didn’t pre-pay for excursions.

I have modified excursions since booking; that required a phone call (on hold no more than a few minutes, if at all) and was refunded money immediately.  It’s not the horror of waiting for cruise fares to be returned on cancelled sailings.

The excursions are more important to me than food or shows when I cruise.  I would not want to miss an activity because I waited too long.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alohayall said:

The excursions are more important to me than food or shows when I cruise.  I would not want to miss an activity because I waited too long.

This 100%. I always get off at every port because I want to see the world!! Thanks for the feedback and putting into words what I already felt. 

• Like 1

Look at it this way...how disappointed would you be that you waited so long that the excursion was sold out?  I always book excursions ASAP so that this does not happen.  We just returned from Alaska; did a helicopter landing on Mendenhall Glacier.  Had I waited just 2 weeks after I booked I would have missed out and this was definitely one of my bucket list items!

• Like 1

Booking excursions can be a catch22.  If you find a must have, definitely book it early, especially if it's somewhat of a specialty.  Generally speaking, the bus tours won't sell out early because they can often just add another bus.

But once you book an excursion, myncl often blocks the other excursions for that port so it is possible that you won't be able to see any new excursions that might be added at a later date.  Also, since NCL changed to payment in advance, you can't use obc for excursions unless you wait until you are onboard.

• Like 2

I'm waiting till I'm actually aboard before booking any shorex... who knows what will be cancelled, what requirements might change in the face of shifting COVID numbers, or any dang thing these days.  That being said, I rarely have strong feelings about "Oh I must do this particular thing" in ports; if one thing fills up, I'm just as happy with my second choice, as long as I get off the ship & see a little something of the port.  YMMV

• Like 1

If book more than year out.  I have had tours get cancelled and I always get back the money within a week or less.  That included cancelled cruises and cruises that I went on.  I care more about getting what I want.  I am very particular.  All it took was one cruise when I first started where I couldn't get anything I wanted and I learned my lesson.  I am booked for all but one island on my March cruise.  Next I will start booking for my 2022 Dec. cruise.  I have only held off because I need to have more money available for the Dec. one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In these days with so much uncertainty and 60% capacity I’m waiting til I get on the ship.  I did book the transfers to the beach in Bermuda only because I know I want to go and it’s free after the $50/day credit.  Of course I’ve done this trip twice before and I’ll be just as happy staying on the ship and spending the day eating/drinking and in the thermal spa.

I would book my excursions as soon as you're sure they are what you want. I waited until I paid off the cruise (60 days ahead) and suddenly it went from 65 excursions available to 35 (and almost all 35 excursions were for the same port).  The main port I want to see, only had one excursion available (thankfully the one I wanted). But it was pretty slim pickings for my excursions.

You can always cancel and get your money back or change excursions, up until a day or two before the excursion (not totally sure about the cancellation time frame, but it's not much).