Lost ID and cruise is Saturday

ctrevino32

3 hours ago, ctrevino32 said:

I lost my DL yesterday. It is currently Thursday and I’m getting it replaced w a paper copy from DMV. Will this paper DL be ok to board? I have a long form BC as well. 

It’s a REALLY long shot but, you could try to get an emergency passport at the nearest large city with an actual passport office. It can be done when you’re within less than a week before travel. But, it would most likely require an appointment.

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It’s a REALLY long shot but, you could try to get an emergency passport at the nearest large city with an actual passport office. It can be done when you’re within less than a week before travel. But, it would most likely require an appointment.

And it might require that government issued photo ID…. EM

5 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

And it might require that government issued photo ID…. EM

Good point!!! So true.
And here we have yet another perfect example of why anyone who wants to (or does) travel a lot should have a passport as well as a Driver’s License. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Good point!!! So true.
And here we have yet another perfect example of why anyone who wants to (or does) travel a lot should have a passport as well as a Driver’s License. 

Passports can be lost before a trip as well. I've read many threads about it happening, everything from being misplaced at home to being lost en route to the cruise. So it's a perfect example of not losing your important stuff, especially right before a trip😉 (our passports are kept in the safe deposit box at the bank and are only removed if needed for something). 

OP, if it isn't going to cost you anything more to go to the port then I would suggest showing up with what you have. If the paper DL has a photo on it then it might be accepted (I have also read of this happening) but the only way to know 100% for sure is to let the folks at the port decide. If you have any other ID with a photo on it then bring that too. 

OP you don't say who you are cruising with but here is the FAQ for Carnival:

Photo Identification

A non-expired government-issued photo I.D. is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver's License (a temporary Driver's License with photo is acceptable)
  • Driver's Permit
  • School/Student I.D. (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
  • Government-issued identification card including a U.S. Military I.D. with photo (city/state/federal)
  • Government-issued Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - for photo identification use only

Now, each cruise line can have stricter requirements than the government regulations but no cruise line can have less strict requirements, which means that if Carnival accepts it then it must meet minimum government standards. So, if your paper DL has a photo on it then there is a good chance it will be accepted.

1 minute ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You miss my point: 

Travelers should have duplicates of essential items: IDs (e.g., DL + passport); extra Rx meds; two credit cards; etc).

Yes, redundancy is a good thing if one can do it.

On 8/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, ctrevino32 said:

I lost my DL yesterday. It is currently Thursday and I’m getting it replaced w a paper copy from DMV. Will this paper DL be ok to board? I have a long form BC as well. 

Please return to your thread and inform us as to how this situation turned out.  

On 8/21/2021 at 4:25 PM, rkacruiser said:

I think this is a curious comment.  Given the list that was posted for recommended duplicates, what could not be obtained?  

It could be obtained for most of course,, but many may not be interested in paying money just to have redundancy.

20 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

It could be obtained for most of course,, but many may not be interested in paying money just to have redundancy.

Thanks for replying.  You are right.  Some people are "penny wise and pound foolish".  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for replying.  You are right.  Some people are "penny wise and pound foolish".  

Absolutely,

We haven’t heard back from the OP. But, I’m guessing that, if s/he was denied boarding, the lost $ easily outweigh what would’ve been the cost of passports (for the redundancy).

• Like 1

Evidently the OP had decided that cruising with a drivers license and birth certificate was an acceptable risk for him to take given his travel needs, as hundreds of thousands of passengers do. Now he needs to decide if he needs another form of ID for redundancy. I don't see many people who have decided on the first question making the leap that while they don't need a passport for the travel by golly they need it so they can have redundancy (and if they did they would probably opt for the less expensive passport card). Maybe after reading this post a few might, but most would say to themselves "wow, I need to make sure that I don't lose my important documents right before a trip".

Drivers license/birth certificate is the equivalent of state minimums for car insurance, it's the least you can legally have. Do you need more than the minimum? That is a question that is going to vary based on each person's situation. But I've never heard a financial advisor say that it's a good idea to have significantly more insurance coverage than you need.

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

..... "wow, I need to make sure that I don't lose my important documents right before a trip".

.....But I've never heard a financial advisor say that it's a good idea to have significantly more insurance coverage than you need.

As rkacruiser reminded us above: “pennywise and pound foolish.”

Regarding your last paragraph: What you may often hear a CFP tell folks is “...it's a good idea to have significantly more insurance coverage than you THINK YOU need.”

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 7:33 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Getting  a last minute appointment has become near impossible at most centers.  We recently met a fellow cruiser in Greece who needed a last minute Passport because a g/f asked him to join her on a cruise (3 days before the cruise).  He could not even get through to the Passport office (this was in a major California city) so he called a Congressman (who was a friend).  Within an hour he got a call from the Passport Office who offered him an immediate appointment.  Fruit for thought :).

Hank

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Getting  a last minute appointment has become near impossible at most centers.  We recently met a fellow cruiser in Greece who needed a last minute Passport because a g/f asked him to join her on a cruise (3 days before the cruise).  He could not even get through to the Passport office (this was in a major California city) so he called a Congressman (who was a friend).  Within an hour he got a call from the Passport Office who offered him an immediate appointment.  Fruit for thought :).

Hank

Agreed. And that’s another reason why, in the continuing Covid environment, having ID redundancy and all other sorts of backups for stuff that is no longer easily available becomes so very important.

FWIW, last year the California DMV, at first (as a Covid closure modification), extended Geezer driver’s licenses for a year only to then turn around and later issue regular new licenses without our lifting a finger or taking an eye test, picture, or anything else.

They were simply overwhelmed. And as we still see today: similar delays with passport issuance/renewal, social security/medicare application processing delays, et al.

Travelers also need to remember that eventually The Real ID Driver's License is going to be required for one to fly.  I had to get my License renewed this month.  The amount of paperwork that the web site of my BMV's web site listed would be required was actually less than my local Registrar needed.  And, there was no increase in the cost of the Real ID License!  It cost the same as a "regular" one.  

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Travelers also need to remember that eventually The Real ID Driver's License is going to be required for one to fly.  I had to get my License renewed this month.  The amount of paperwork that the web site of my BMV's web site listed would be required was actually less than my local Registrar needed.  And, there was no increase in the cost of the Real ID License!  It cost the same as a "regular" one.  

Eventually? Maybe.

As of now the REAL ID implementation has been pushed off again, to May 3, 2023. The law was  enacted in 2005 with an original implementation date of 2008. So the can has been kicked down the road 15 years.

And even if REAL ID eventually is implemented, it is not going to be required as there are alternatives such as a passport, passport card, enhanced drivers license, trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST) . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Eventually? Maybe.

Interesting to read your post.  I was aware that there was a delay in implementation of the requirement. 

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

enhanced drivers license, 

Is this not the Real ID Driver's License?  

6 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Is this not the Real ID Driver's License?  

No. The enhanced drivers license is issued only by a handful of states that border Canada and can be used in a similar fashion to a passport card...for land and sea border crossings but not international air travel. It provides proof of US citizenship as well as proof of identity in a single wallet-friendly document just as the passport card does. The REAL ID license doesn't provide proof of citizenship, it's only proof of identity.  For example a legal permanent resident of the US (green card holder) can have a REAL ID drivers license but not an enhanced drivers license because the LPR is not a US citizen.

EDLs were also issued by four Canadian provinces but they have been discontinued or are the process of being discontinued in all four due to lack of demand. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As rkacruiser reminded us above: “pennywise and pound foolish.”

Regarding your last paragraph: What you may often hear a CFP tell folks is “...it's a good idea to have significantly more insurance coverage than you THINK YOU need.”

To stay in our car insurance example one wouldn't try to ensure a 2012 Ford to the same level as a 2021 Mercedes. If someone owns a $5000 car they have to determine whether or not it is worth paying for Comprehensive coverage. Some people will decide to get the coverage, other people will decide not to, that the risk is not worth the expenditure of the money. 

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Since all one usually needs to present for a closed loop cruise is a government issued photo ID even a non-REAL ID compliant license would be sufficient to establish identity (coupled, of course, with proof of citizenship).

Edited by sparks1093