Convince me to upgrade to the Retreat

Matman1215

I always find these type of threads very interesting to see how people view themselves and state opinions about others without knowing anything about them.  These suite discussions commonly have an element of cruisers considering themselves peasants or in steerage like the rest of the normal people.  Suite cruisers are depicted as wealthier than them and snobbish and elitist and otherwise not normal like them.  Yes the normal people like them paying a boatload of money to cruise.  Most of the world would not consider any of us cruisers to be normal compared to their daily situations.  We are all quite fortunate.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

+1, TeeTick.  Something else to keep in mind ... have seen a fair number of fortunate folks who were able to bank their saved vacation budgets over the last year, and finally feeling freer to travel with the future still uncertain, planned a splurge vacation with 2X the available funds.  Wouldn't surprise me if that was happening with cruisers right now, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

+1, TeeTick.  Something else to keep in mind ... have seen a fair number of fortunate folks who were able to bank their saved vacation budgets over the last year, and finally feeling freer to travel with the future still uncertain, planned a splurge vacation with 2X the available funds.  Wouldn't surprise me if that was happening with cruisers right now, too. 

And quite a few people I have met in suites are there for a special occasion like a landmark anniversary.  They saved up for years.  There is no way to broadly categorize those in suites or in Aqua or in any other cabin.  It is a buying choice and how people want to spend their own money.  Like everybody else on board.

• Like 2

On my last Celebrity sailing, I met some incredibly friendly, down to earth, normal people in the suite lounge. I also met an incredibly friendly, down to earth gentleman that had been knighted by the Queen. He was quite normal too, despite that one distinction.

None were snobs.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

C'est dommage! 😁

Sic est….

44 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe all of this French needs to be moved to the escargot thread.  

You are right, so I moved over to Latin. I took it in HS - really  stupid. I can read headstones and talk to Very Old priests! 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

Sic est….

You are right, so I moved over to Latin. I took it in HS - really  stupid. I can read headstones and talk to Very Old priests! 

den

Den- Maybe you should be auditioned for a host on Jeopardy.😀

2 hours ago, canderson said:

This was us. We can't usually afford to sail in the Retreat, but with a 25% bonus FCC from cancellations and a lot of other unused vacation funds saved up, we decided to make our first vacation in over two years a special one in the Retreat on Edge. Is it something we can do often? No. Is it something we really wanted to do to treat ourselves? Absolutely.

We have a January cruise on the Apex where we'll be in an OV and I know we'll enjoy that too.

• Like 1

My philosophy is that if there are enough people, there will be "all kinds", wherever you go.

There are some truly wealthy people who choose suites, and some who are not wealthy.  Same with any other cabin category. (Yes, there are wealthy cruisers who choose insides, too!!)

When I read about them eating Brats, I thought the poster was a kid-hater and was being snide!! Being Canadian, I never heard of Brats hot dogs. I haven't eaten a hot dog since my kids grew up!

And we buy Maille dijon mustard.  And we usually book insides. And we are not wealthy(lol).

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

When I read about them eating Brats, I thought the poster was a kid-hater and was being snide!! Being Canadian, I never heard of Brats hot dogs. I haven't eaten a hot dog since my kids grew up!

Brats aren't hot dogs, they're Bratwurst!👨‍🍳

1 minute ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I don't think I have ever eaten Bratwurst.  I guess I am not sophisticated (lol)

LOL. The majority of Brats that I've eaten came from street vendor bbq carts. Not quite the height of sophistication! 😄

52 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I don't think I have ever eaten Bratwurst.  I guess I am not sophisticated (lol)

Bratwurst is a German sausage.  Kielbasa is a Polish sausage.  Andouille is a Cajun sausage.  OK my sausage lesson is over.  I'll bet Canada has all of these in addition to Elk sausage and Caribou sausage.  Back to cruising! LOL.😀

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Bratwurst is a German sausage.  Kielbasa is a Polish sausage.  Andouille is a Cajun sausage.  OK my sausage lesson is over.  I'll bet Canada has all of these in addition to Elk sausage and Caribou sausage.  Back to cruising! LOL.😀

My French ancestors are rolling in their graves over your brazen attempt to claim Cajun origins for Andouille sausage! For your edification: https://mulates.com/2018/06/03/what-is-andouille/